OT: Washington Redskins 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Are you ignoring the fact that Smith costs 20m himself? So yes. We have Smith and Richardson for 28m, versus Cousins.

I’m not ignoring that fact at all. But the entire point of giving up on cousins was we didn’t want to pay him that money. We wanted a cheaper option. If we didn’t mind spending 28 mil on a qb, but simply wanted cousins gone why didn’t we trade him last year? We lost fuller in this transaction, and if it wasn’t about money but simply we didn’t like a dude, then Bruce needs to be fired today. This is the NFL, you can’t lose starting lineup prospects because you have a grudge against somebody.

If we lost fuller because we errored in trying to be smart with money, then at least finish the job and be smart now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Interesting. According to his bio, he attended St.Pauls School in London which backs onto the Thames River, which did freeze during what has been called "The Little Ice Age" between the 15th & early 18th Centuries.... so yes, entirely probable, and the Man a Minister so "not lying" that he did play hockey on skates while attending St.Pauls, which is noted for Rowing, Cricket & Rugby.... Indeed, going back to the 1500's, the Thames freeze up's resulted in annual ice fairs, winter carnivals called "Frost Fairs", skating, "bear baiting" - whatever that is - gambling, you name it... very likely the most rudimentary forms of "shinney" or hockey with stick and ball, stick and bung or "puck" played, some old lithographs and paintings depicting such, and even long before The Little Ace Age when the Thames did freeze over.... hasnt frozen over however for well over a hundred years, landfill, its banks built up, global warming, but it has gotten beyond cold enough for it to freeze at various times, ice forming from the shore out a bit but certainly not thick enough to even think about walking on much less skating.

Last edited:

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
...Indeed, going back to the 1500's, the Thames freeze up's resulted in annual ice fairs, winter carnivals called "Frost Fairs", skating, "bear baiting" - whatever that is - gambling, you name it... very likely the most rudimentary forms of "shinney" or hockey with stick and ball, stick and bung or "puck" played, some old lithographs and paintings depicting such, and even long before The Little Ace Age when the Thames did freeze over....

Very Interesting...It would be great to see any references or sources explaining the game in that time period.I would imagine that in England Bandy(As it was called over there) was played on bone skates of some kind during that era.Also in other European countries such as Denmark, France, Russia, Scandinavia etc.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very Interesting...It would be great to see any references or sources explaining the game in that time period.I would imagine that in England Bandy(As it was called over there) was played on bone skates of some kind during that era.Also in other European countries such as Denmark, France, Russia, Scandinavia etc.

Well.... going back, and I mean waaaaaaaaaaay way back, its believed England was connected to the European continent as your likely aware down around the southern end to France, Normandy, all the way up to the Netherlands, western Germany & the peninsula of Jutland; the English Channel didnt exist, extensive marshes & flat lands, major rivers & tributaries which was a major form of transportation. Believed the Rhine & the Thames, other major European & Scandinavian rivers all interconnected & part of a sort of "super highway" bringing people & cultures together. This area of land that is now under the English Channel & North Sea called Doggerland.

As human & Neanderthal migration would have been east to west, north to south, from frozen climes where winter travel the norm, bone & antler skates, rivers freezing, settlements alongside & in some cases built on stilts above waterways... how big a stretch is it to think, to not imagine children & adults alike playing "shinny" during the long winter months? Its a game as natural as walking, breathing.... Then you had the Saxons arriving... from nordic countries & colder climes... so sure, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if we were to go back in time thousands of years, we'd see people on ice (and wearing skates in some instances) playing a game we'd recognize as being shinny.....

Cant prove it of course, pure conjecture, speculation but then, I'm told the Van Allen Radiation Belt exists, havent seen that with my own eyes, told its beyond lethal, impossible for the humans in the flimsy little Apollo capsules to have survived it & made it to the Moon... landed... came back through it.... Humans vs Neanderthals in a game of p/up seems a lot more plausible than 3 guys strapped to what was essentially a vintage WW2 Nazi designed V2 rocket, surviving the Van Allen (TWICE mind you)... coming back with a bunch of rocks that have mysteriously disappeared ... & of course... strange tales from Stanley Kubricks Widow... about the multi=purpose use of a sound stage in London & 2001; A Space Odyssey... happenings, film crews out in the Nevada desert near Groom Lake & Area 51 & so on & so on...

See, the truth is out there James... we just have to keep looking for it. Digging. Might not like what we find... but then... always been a fan of Charlton Heston... Planet of the Apes.... Just laugh at those who think a warnings gonna scare me.

Reactions: James Laverance

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Would have rather gone rebuild rather then fighting to be a 8-8 wild card team

Really? Who actually rebuilds in the NFL to the point it costs an entire season, unless they have a top rookie QB that needs to adjust for a year? It's a win-now league with a salary cap that promotes UFA movement, and a contract structure that favors player disposability. Every team, good or bad, has access to hundreds and hundreds of college and pro players when filling out a huge roster. Just about every team that hasn't put itself in cap hell can make about the same amount of changes per year and compete.

Always try to make the playoffs in the NFL and (most of the time) the NHL. The bigger the roster the harder it is, and the less necessary it is, to "rebuild".

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Why wouldn't we give Hyde $5 mill over 3 years
Now the rumor is we will look RB in round 2. Isn't that pick worth more then 5 mill

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't mind the signing. They're trying to get DJax at a younger age basically. The big concern is durability.

I get the idea, but there are plenty of speedy vertical threats that never turn out to be DJax. Jackson showed huge potential his rookie year and fully broke out in his second year in the league. I just don't see that same game breaking talent from Richardson. He's definitely a step up over Ryan Grant, but I don't think he's a #1.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I get the idea, but there are plenty of speedy vertical threats that never turn out to be DJax. Jackson showed huge potential his rookie year and fully broke out in his second year in the league. I just don't see that same game breaking talent from Richardson. He's definitely a step up over Ryan Grant, but I don't think he's a #1.

He isn't a #1. Neither was Jackson. Richardson is the speed guy to stretch the field. Doctson, in theory, is the #1. And the signing of Richardson had no impact on whether Grant was resigned or not.

Another cryptic tweet from Trent Murphy.

Long is gone:

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Thats fine (Long). Roullier was playing well, and should be the starter.

Yes but Long could of moved to LG and filled that hole that will now either cost cap space or a draft pick to fill. And 4 good players (Breeland, Long, Murphy and Grant) heading into their prime that were drafted by the Skins are walking out of Redskins Park. I don't see that as a positive.

Reactions: Corby78

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
No one wants to give this team a home town discount. If a player has a choice in the matter they will go to the highest bidder. No incentive to stay a redskin

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yes but Long could of moved to LG and filled that hole that will now either cost cap space or a draft pick to fill. And 4 good players (Breeland, Long, Murphy and Grant) heading into their prime that were drafted by the Skins are walking out of Redskins Park. I don't see that as a positive.
None of them are game breakers. I dont see it as a positive, but its not going to kill the team either. Thats the price you pay for drafting decent (but not great) players that hit FA.

Bruce & Co should have locked them up earlier if they wanted them. Looks like they didnt want them:
Murphy wasnt good...until he got nailed for supplements...so.
Long...he is a decent player. However, decent guards arent that hard to find
Breeland didnt look good the last 2 years. Sometimes yes, but others times.....ugh
Grant...I like him. Is he worth 5m a year??

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
This is the oldest reference to an indoor hockey game I've seen so far.

"In the course of 1851-2 was erected that most useful of institutions, the Ambulacrum, the large covered playground which is used in wet weather."
800px-Stonyhurst_Ambulacrum.jpg

"When the Ambulacrum was first opened, the Higher Line used it for Bandy,1 their juniors, who it was thought could not be trusted with such lethal weapons as bandy-sticks, being confined to football. After some years the seniors also adopted football, which was played in the main on the usual Stonyhurst principles, but with adaptations to its environment which procured it, as a distinct variety, the title of " Ambulacrum football." Bandy has from time to time revived, sometimes in the playground, more frequently in the Dark Walk. It was in great favour just previous to the introduction of Association, but has utterly disappeared ever since."
Stonyhurst College, Its Life Beyond the Seas, 1592-1794 and on English Soil, 1794-1894

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Compensatory picks incoming...

Hopefully this is a sign that the Redskins are baragain shoppers now in FA and it’s not simply a sign that no one wants to come here. If this is a concerted effort from the front office to build through the draft and be fiscally responsible when handing out contracts, I’m all for it. I think FA moves are more useful once your roster is closer to contention than ours is currently. Now all they need to do is start drafting better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad