OT: Washington Redskins 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I do not understand this. Why would the Skins have interest in a 32 year old center when they just let a 27 year old center they drafted walk in FA and they have a 24 year old center going into his 2nd year in the league that was used as a reason why they let the 27 year old walk as a FA?

He's a backup. They liked him as a backup.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Trent Murphy was a guy who couldn't shed a block, couldn't beat anyone to save his life, and a complete waste of a pick...untill he got popped for PED's and had a good season due to it. Ryan Grant is a guy who doesn't even have 1k yards in his career, and was only shown as much playing time as he did because Gruden was infatuated with him (think a worse Josh Wilson with Shanahan). He just signed for almost as much as our new wr Paul Richardson.

They got big deals but they weren't worth it, at all.

Murphy is a good player about to hit his prime. It took him a couple seasons to fully transition from hand on the ground DE in college to standing up 3-4 OLB, but when he did he showed his worth. In regards to the PED thing, JP Finlay with NBC-Wash said the PED postive test revolved around Murphy breaking his foot towards the end of the '16 season and Murphy was trying to stay on the field. And Grant could of been resigned for what Thompson got resigned for or less. Finally, every FA so far is getting over payed throughout the NFL accept for Drew Brees.

I understand why Breeland, Long, Grant and Murphy were let go on an individual basis but my issue is when you look at them as a group. A draft class group that proved to be quality NFL players.

Throughout the Cousin Vinny years the big complaint was the Skins didn't value the draft, that they pissed away draft picks for established Vet players. The right way is to build through the draft. But they are still, basically, pissing away draft picks.

He's a backup. They liked him as a backup.

They don't need a 32 year old backup, at any price.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Maybe they dont want to draft another one? They only have 6 picks (or whatever). I'm not following your logic. They didnt want to pay the back up (Long) a large salary. Its not about age, its about cost vs ability (ROI)

If the Skins resigned Long he wouldn't have been the backup center. He would of been the starting LG.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
This Marks the first time an American team Defeated a Canadain team in Organized Ice-Hockey.

img

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 30 Dec 1899, Sat, Page 13

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very cool... Like the reporting.... in one sarcastic bit... "Drinkwater apparently no interest in stopping it". :laugh:

Reactions: VaporTrail

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Only Max Hornfeck on that NYAC team was American (from New Jersey), the rest Canadians. 'Howard' on the NYAC is Tom "Atty" Howard who won a Stanley Cup with the Winnipeg Victorias in 1896. The rest are Ed O'Donnell (from Kingston), Bob Hunt and Jim Fenwick (Montreal), G. Baird and Fred Cobb.

'Howard' on the McGill team is Rupert Howard. It's interesting the report says he's a cousin of Tom Howard, I've never read that before anywhere else, and wonder if it's true. They kinda look a bit similar when I think about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad