Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We can rebuild them.

mgid:arc:content:paramountchannel.it:98c8920e-366c-46a8-8b3d-397e966ed407

...or can we?

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Cannot understand why anybody would want Bradley over Pettine. We do not have the talent to make a Legion of Boom. Bradley's D sucked before the Sherman/Wagner draft and has been subpar in Jacksonville with more talent than we have here. Pettine's defenses with Buffalo/Jets were awesome, and even the Browns D was decent with nobody.

Pettine >>>> Bradley

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Cannot understand why anybody would want Bradley over Pettine. We do not have the talent to make a Legion of Boom. Bradley's D sucked before the Sherman/Wagner draft and has been subpar in Jacksonville with more talent than we have here. Pettine's defenses with Buffalo/Jets were awesome, and even the Browns D was decent with nobody.

Pettine >>>> Bradley

Jacksonville's defense was ranked 6th. How is that subpar? I will repost what I had on Bradley from the last thread. It showed just how important Bradley was to the defense that was built in SEA.

When Pete Carroll returned to the NFL seven years ago, he didn’t just want to prove he could win in a league that had fired him twice. The Seattle Seahawks coach had grander thoughts, and at the top of his list was the desire to turn a lifetime of defensive knowledge into a sustainable championship system.

To accomplish this, he needed a defensive coordinator to help him develop, translate and teach all these loose thoughts.

He found that coordinator nervously waiting in limbo as power transitioned from fired coach Jim Mora to Carroll: Gus Bradley.

The first thing you need to understand about Bradley, who interviewed Wednesday to run the Washington Redskins’ defense, is that he was the most important lieutenant in engineering the most influential defensive creation in this pass-centric era of the NFL. And Bradley did it while learning Carroll’s mismatched concepts on the fly.

“He’s the best teacher I’ve ever been around,” Carroll once told me about Bradley. “He’s so thorough, so thoughtful, and he’ll go to such lengths to find ways to make sense of the information so the guys can understand it in practical ways. It doesn’t matter how good we teach. It’s how well they learn. I think that connection is really clear with Gus. He’s great at it.”

I will take Carroll's word on it. I want Bradley.

Perhaps you must meet Bradley to comprehend what he brings. He’s an upbeat, energetic coach who commands respect without screaming and cursing. Seahawks players used to compare his manner to Tony Dungy, only he can be much more spirited. Fired coordinator Joe Barry acted similarly, and his exuberance helped elevate the defense’s effort to an acceptable level. But Bradley combines his personality with better play-calling and teaching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cdb4b7f8dd7_story.html?utm_term=.b731a3c3a3ed

According to Keim and Cooley, Pettine is the opposite, he is a screamer. My college HC was a screamer and most of us players tuned him out, payed more attention to our coordinators and positions coaches. Not a big fan of screamers. Also, Pettine comes from the Rex Ryan coaching tree. Another no thanks.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

It would appear Wes Phillips isn't going anywhere. Also, forgot NFL teams can deny coaches permission to interview for positions accept HC.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016

Pettine >>>> Bradley

Jacksonville's defense was ranked 6th. How is that subpar? I will repost what I had on Bradley from the last thread. It showed just how important Bradley was to the defense that was built in SEA.

I will take Carroll's word on it. I want Bradley.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cdb4b7f8dd7_story.html?utm_term=.b731a3c3a3ed

According to Keim and Cooley, Pettine is the opposite, he is a screamer. My college HC was a screamer and most of us players tuned him out, payed more attention to our coordinators and positions coaches. Not a big fan of screamers. Also, Pettine comes from the Rex Ryan coaching tree. Another no thanks.

That, plus no one the Seahawks got was top tier talent. They became it under Bradley's tenure as DC.

Either one is fine with me. Either one will be a vast improvement. Frankly, if we have either one last season, the Redskins are still playing in the playoffs.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If it's a promotion they usually won't deny permission. Lateral move yes.

Not usually but lately teams have been denying positions coaches from getting OC jobs. Latest being MIA OL coach Chris Forester. He wanted to take the OC job with the Rams and MIA wouldn't let him.

Sep 19, 2008
Bradley getting some hate from fan base. Not Barry level but still.

Pettine has best fan support.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Well they think Bradley is overrated and his d wasn't that good in Jacksonville.

The information is out there to refute these claims. I've posted a number of times on here with some of that information. Google is their friend. :nod:

Sep 19, 2008
The information is out there to refute these claims. I've posted a number of times on here with some of that information. Google is their friend. :nod:

I'm sold, there was an article in the Post about how Bradley has done a great job historically as a defensive coordinator and he isn't a yeller. Article also says he was able to lead a Seattle defense with only 2 first round picks (basically getting an underrated roster to play well) and that said players that left the Legion of Boom after that proceeded to fail. So I'm definitely sold on him, I just hope we can get him before Lynn and San Diego / LA get their hands on him.

Also an odd note, after Joe Barry left Tampa Bradley was promoted to his job. So the two probably worked together at one point :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad