Washington REALLY helped by Kempny trade

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
That article really rips into the situation and talks about how Kempny was treated under Q, riding the pine & the upper deck along with Trotz hitting home how good Kempny has been for the Caps.

It was obvious to most of us Kempny's game translates into the type of game the Hawks need to be playing under a new coaching system.

Reactions: BK and ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What bothers me is that most of this board thought Q was giving Kempny a raw deal. This board rarely agrees on a lot of things. If this board saw it, why was Q so blind? It's mind blowing.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I didnt see Kempny as top-4 after first year, but potential to be very, very good #5. And still Q didnt play him.

I dont see him yet top-4D in every team in this league but yeah currently he is playing like very good #4.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What bothers me is that most of this board thought Q was giving Kempny a raw deal. This board rarely agrees on a lot of things. If this board saw it, why was Q so blind? It's mind blowing.

Mind blowing, yet no surprise. This is the umpteenth example of everyone in the hockey world, even casual fans, seeing the obvious ahead of Q. Pretty scary, if you ask me.

The following says it all:

“The assets that he brings are modern,” Carlson said. “I think he’s got a lot of room to grow, too. He’s just getting comfortable. He hasn’t been over here too long, even though he’s not a young guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Mind blowing, yet no surprise. This is the umpteenth example of everyone in the hockey world, even casual fans, seeing the obvious ahead of Q. Pretty scary, if you ask me.

The following says it all:

“The assets that he brings are modern,” Carlson said. “I think he’s got a lot of room to grow, too. He’s just getting comfortable. He hasn’t been over here too long, even though he’s not a young guy.

That quote is the most frustrating.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The handling of Kempny in Chicago spells out clearly what is wrong in the Windy City. It not only highlights Q's deficiencies as a coach but also magnifies the dysfunction within the org.

Did Stan or no one in upper management see what was going on and the potential of MK being squelched? ......or did they see it and were just too scared to call out Q? Either way, pretty pathetic.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The handling of Kempny in Chicago spells out clearly what is wrong in the Windy City. It not only highlights Q's deficiencies as a coach but also magnifies the dysfunction within the org.

Did Stan or no one in upper management see what was going on and the potential of MK being squelched? ......or did they see it and were just too scared to call out Q? Either way, pretty pathetic.

or we ther not allowed to remove Q?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Stan Bowman's greatest failing is that he listens and caters to Joel Quenneville far too much.

I look forward to seeing Kempny lift the cup. Its always great to see people succeed after being unfairly held down.

Reactions: Elgin Slim

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Stan Bowman's greatest failing is that he listens and caters to Joel Quenneville far too much.

I look forward to seeing Kempny lift the cup. Its always great to see people succeed after being unfairly held down.
Bowman got Kempny to come here, he saw what we all saw with him as well...Bowman likely promised him a lot of playing time to come over here and when that didn't happen, Kempny asked to be traded which you know Bowman would honor since he felt responsible for getting him over here...not sure what else Bowman could do here to be honest besides trying to get a solid asset back for a player he never wanted to trade but wanted to go somewhere to actually...you know, play.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bowman got Kempny to come here, he saw what we all saw with him as well...Bowman likely promised him a lot of playing time to come over here and when that didn't happen, Kempny asked to be traded which you know Bowman would honor since he felt responsible for getting him over here...not sure what else Bowman could do here to be honest besides trying to get a solid asset back for a player he never wanted to trade but wanted to go somewhere to actually...you know, play.

That seems likely, but this is hardly the first time. How many guys as Stan be forced to sell low on, simply because his coach has put them in the doghouse.

At some point it's incumbent on the manager to identify assets that aren't being used effectively, and move them while they still have some value, before an obstinate, senile coach destroys what's left.

That said, you would hope/think such a clear pattern would lead said manager (and the team around/behind him) to move the coach, and keep the players. Sadly, we're not so lucky.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
We didn't need the Kempny thing to even ponder in terms of Q....

JD and others like myself noticed the massive mishandling of Campbell when he came back on a sweetheart deal...still one of my favorite Blackhawks for putting up with the **** then sticking around. Dude still had speed and a hell of a first pass his last year in the league but had both of those coached out of him within the span of 20-40 games.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Hope Rocky is actually watching what his idiotic GM did. Not that the Panarin for Saad trade didn't say enough about how much Stan Bowman is way out out of his league.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
giphy.gif

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bowman was smart enough to convince Kempny for a 2nd nightmarish year. After Q sat him forever, it was only decent for Bowman to trade Kempny after he asked for it.

The dude is a strong #4 for the probable Stanley Cup winner ... but he was #7 or #8 for the 7th worst team in hockey? I hope Eddie keeps reminding the national audience how he got to the Capitals.

I wasn't a Trevor Daley fan, BUT he also was banished to the bench ... only to become a top 4 DMen for another Stanley Cup champ.

At some point, you have to look in the mirror.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bowman was smart enough to convince Kempny for a 2nd nightmarish year. After Q sat him forever, it was only decent for Bowman to trade Kempny after he asked for it.

The dude is a strong #4 for the probable Stanley Cup winner ... but he was #7 or #8 for the 7th worst team in hockey? I hope Eddie keeps reminding the national audience how he got to the Capitals.

I wasn't a Trevor Daley fan, BUT he also was banished to the bench ... only to become a top 4 DMen for another Stanley Cup champ.

At some point, you have to look in the mirror.

BS as usual from Anti-Q faction

Daley was slotted in his proper role as a #5 on Hawks and then whined his way out of Chicago. The Pens then won cup without him show just how important he was

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
here is Bowman after having to trade Kempny for Q's refusal to play him...

Kempny on Chi looked and played like a 5-6.

On Wash, he is playing like a good top 4.

Who really knows if he would be a 5-6 or top 4 on a multitude of other teams.

Placed in a high positive energy situation surrounded by a team on a mission....Chi sure wasn't...he has been able to adjust his game to match his teammates aura.

I'm happy for him that he is being successful but at the time of trade, pretty hard to deny that a 3rd rnd'r wasn't decent value for him.

Steven Heinz sight has jumped into focus quite inflatably now where previously, it ranged from 20-10 thru 20-50. I don't think anyone here can say emphatically they had 20/20 and could see the performance he has brought out, otherwise, why didn't we hear from posters demanding that he should have garnered a 1 st rnd'r or 2 2's or even a 2nd.

Could it be possible that the 3rd was the best offer put forward from amongst interested teams or was Wash the only team that inquired or was contacted of his availability?

Am I defending Bowman/Quennville, not at all but just hi-lighting the sudden zealous infatuation of a player playing/matching the abilities surrounding him.

I sure wish I would have bought BreX or Apple in the 90's.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
BS as usual from Anti-Q faction

Daley was slotted in his proper role as a #5 on Hawks and then whined his way out of Chicago. The Pens then won cup without him show just how important he was
I'm not anti Q. However, no one can say Q managed our DMen well in the last 3 years. Was Daley good as Oduya? No. But he wasn't the liability Q thought he was. He was better than the poop we got back for him. And Daley did help the Penguins in their 1st of the back to backs. That's for sure.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad