Washington REALLY helped by Kempny trade

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for posting that link (not!). I’d like more salt rubbed into my wound, please.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Nothing says we can’t sign him as a UFA, but that would be contingent on a coaching change.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Penetrating observation! While I'm at it, here's another: our staff (read, Q) really, really crapped the bed with Kempny.

Nah... no way!!!! Kempny is average to below average 3rd pairing D on every team in the NHL but the Hawks. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Unreal how Kempny got dicked around by this organization(99% Q) and the Hawks lost him for a 3rd that will never become the player that he is. Way to be a great judge of talent, Q! :clap:

Reactions: JaegerDice

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I’ll believe he’s coming back when it happens. He looked disinterested all year last season. I can’t think of any reason for him to want to coach this team again other than money. Hawks should just “promote” him and let him do something else or work out some type of settlement out where he can leave to coach another team.

Man, next year is going to be awfully hard to watch if he is back. That IDGAF attitude he had seeped into everyone. He’s a bad leader at this point. All he does is throw temper tantrums when things aren’t going well.

If he does come back, I think you’ll see some players requesting a trade out of here, maybe even some of the young guys like Schmaltz and Cat.

Reactions: BobbyJet

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What's sad is that everybody on this board saw Kempny's talent EXCEPT Q. I got the Trevor Daley trade. He didn't fit our team. Of course, you'd think he could have helped our non existant PP. How Q treated Kempny was head scratching?

Q has a lot of Tom Thibbodeau in him. Until he got to the Hawks, Q was known for his Presidents Trophy and little playoff success. He was also known to be more veteran friendly. Can Q develop our young talent next year?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What's sad is that everybody on this board saw Kempny's talent EXCEPT Q. I got the Trevor Daley trade. He didn't fit our team. Of course, you'd think he could have helped our non existant PP. How Q treated Kempny was head scratching?

Q has a lot of Tom Thibbodeau in him. Until he got to the Hawks, Q was known for his Presidents Trophy and little playoff success. He was also known to be more veteran friendly. Can Q develop our young talent next year?

Not everyone. There were a few that thought Kempny sucked and was not even a bottom pairing guy.

The number that stands out is that Kempny was able to carry Seabrook to a positive corsi. Considering the state of Seabrook, it is an impressive feat. Kempny still had some issues but he never should have sat. When he an Murphy were paired together they were impressive.

We all have moments where we are wrong (I though Pokka was going to be a top 4 D but his skating never improved and I also though AA could improve his FO%) but this one was obvious.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yea, and who scores the Caps' first goal? He looks comfortable out there in Trotz's system. He never did here with the Hawks.

Because the coach was trying to make him fit the system instead of modifying the system to fit his talents. Just like we all saw all last year with the whole team. Trying to make players fit a system that they can no longer perform in, rather than modifying the system to fit the players and their talents.

Reactions: JaegerDice

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Murphy and Seabrook was a positive corsi too, heck Gus and Seabrook 3 seasons now by was as well. That's a little overblown narrative that all is marked by how bad his corsi was in 15-16 because TVR and him was an abysmal below 45% pair.

It's odd though Q seems to never want to try guys who can move the puck off hand on D or help their offensive D zone play that way yet he'll swap a alreadly limited Dzone Dman to a hand side he never played Hammer, Tvr, & Murphy with much greater ease. If Kempny had got to play like Oesterle it would of maybe been shown off he can be a 4 while attached to a top pair player.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I remember watching a Caps game right before the playoffs, and seeing Kempny skating out there and how good he looked...I made a comment on it that the announcers (who were opposing teams announcers) speaking glowingly to Kempny as well, and how he transformed that Caps d around...another poster posted the same thing I did as well, as obviously something is happening there in Washington that others haven't been hearing and we both thought the board should be hearing how well he was doing in Washington..

and not sure what poster(s) it was, started claiming how minimally used Kempny was and that the announcers were just talking up their own player...well had to let them know it wasn't Caps announcers either..hahaha...point is, there are some who still have their head up their ass on Kempny on our board, tried pointing it out a few months ago how well Kempny was playing for the Caps, but they tried everything they could to derail it...probably BWC and maybe Clyde I think...and if wrong my apologies, I forget who posts bullshit at times!

We were happy we got a 3rd for Kempny because of how he was poorly utilized by Q, now we are sad that is all we got as Trotz has used him the right way making him easily worth a 2nd round pick right now. Damn shame a team with this much trouble on defense had to trade away a solid player who simply was never given a chance by a dinosaur Alzheimer patient of a coach..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Murphy and Seabrook was a positive corsi too, heck Gus and Seabrook 3 seasons now by was as well. That's a little overblown narrative that all is marked by how bad his corsi was in 15-16 because TVR and him was an abysmal below 45% pair.

It's odd though Q seems to never want to try guys who can move the puck off hand on D or help their offensive D zone play that way yet he'll swap a alreadly limited Dzone Dman to a hand side he never played Hammer, Tvr, & Murphy with much greater ease. If Kempny had got to play like Oesterle it would of maybe been shown off he can be a 4 while attached to a top pair player.

Personally I don't think it is overblown. Murphy like Kempny really carried Seabrook when they were paired with him. Their abilities allowed Seabrook to play better imo (I am saying that it is not all 5 or 6 responsible for 7's improved play). This shows how fit can help .

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Shockingly, I'm still waiting for one of the 3 people who actually thought Kempny was a bad hockey player to come in here parading their nonsensical opinion of him. We've gone what? Close to twenty posts without it yet?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But again...Q refused to change his crappy "system" especially in the d-zpne and on exit strategy . THE forwards are in wrong positions of support and exits are pass it up instead of skateboard up or pass only after you skate away from A Force heck. Also forwards not moving north south to receive passes to get by defenders with already top speed built up ..The whole strategy of defending g the zone and how to exit and go right to attack was messed up by whatever Q told his guys to do and when they failed in doing it he still never changed anything g.Obvuously what Trot employs in strategy for these things is working g and Lemony seems to have picked it up and executes it seamlessly .So the blame goes on Q twice..for not using Lemony and not using g him in the correct system when he did ..Q Kept sticking with a failing Keith making so many errors and half-hearted "egforts" and tolerated it without any punishment for slacking. Q is at fault for so so much..bit if he had CC in net instead of injured that would have covered up the mess ..Without CC Q's moronic decisions and strategy were exposed for all to see.Q's only futile response was the discredited "line blender" ...a mere hope of improvement rather than actually correcting use of personnel and changing strategy to fit what personnel he had available...Pathetic ...The tragedy is that the Hawks still ow him a lot of money ..Perhaps after another $6million goes down the drain this season they finally absorb the remaining economic cost and can Q...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Shockingly, I'm still waiting for one of the 3 people who actually thought Kempny was a bad hockey player to come in here parading their nonsensical opinion of him. We've gone what? Close to twenty posts without it yet?

Where are all the Pirri/Hayes fanboys? Oh they vanished

Kempny's play is nothing special and its laughable as always how the Anti-Q faction is playing him up to be Bobby Orr 2.0

We saw same with Pirri and Hayes fanboys who wouldn't shut up about how them a few years back until suddenly they vanished as quickly as Hayes/Pirri did from everyday NHL lineups and NHL scoresheets

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Kempny's play is nothing special and its laughable as always how the Anti-Q faction is playing him up to be Bobby Orr 2.0

We saw same with Pirri and Hayes fanboys who wouldn't shut up about how them a few years back until suddenly they vanished as quickly as Hayes/Pirri did from everyday NHL lineups and NHL scoresheets

Was never a fanboy of either one. And hyperbole much? Calling him a good 4 or 5 is playing him up to be Orr 2.0? :laugh:

And if you haven't noticed, the anti-Q faction is all but a handful of people on here at this point... that's probably telling you something, huh?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Very few people were talking up Jayes and the Pirri thing was in relation to the walking corpse that was Handzus.

Sorry, I know context isn't really your thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad