OT: Washington Nationals Win The World Series!!!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
web1_9198424-d2800783b1fc4672a0316da4e297e54b.jpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think if Sanchez does them like he has been doing them lately, that Cole is pitching G4 not the bullpen.

Probably right, but they're just delaying the inevitable. The Astros bullpen is going to have to win them a game in order for them to win the series... unless they run Cole, Verlander, and/or Greinke on short rest for the duration of the series.

Winning Game 1 was so huge. My sense is that the Astros, and most of baseball, thought that once the Dodgers got knocked out then the real World Series was the ALCS between New York and Houston and the winner of that would take the cake.

I kept thinking of this scene when they started hitting Cole and it became clear the Nats weren't going to just hand the title over to the Astros and collect their participation trophies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As a Caps fan there are things you start to recognize in other environments. Last night the Astros cracked under the pressure last night. They held a players only meeting after the game. Another sign that they are breaking under the weight of being maybe the greatest team of all time.

Ive concluded that the media and the odds makers did Houston no favors. I saw very little difference between the Astros and the Nats going in except that one had hype and the other was not that well known. Are not Rendon and Soto the two best players in the series? I thought it was just me as a fan listening to the national media talk about all the things that made Houston dominant and thought, that describes the Nats too. Why don't they see that?

Now Houston has to deal with being an AL team playing NL rules.

Reactions: Calicaps

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I still don't understand how an oddsmaker could look at the Nats rotation and lineup and not have them as, at the very least, an even team to win.

I know I did.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As a Caps fan there are things you start to recognize in other environments. Last night the Astros cracked under the pressure last night. They held a players only meeting after the game. Another sign that they are breaking under the weight of being maybe the greatest team of all time.

Ive concluded that the media and the odds makers did Houston no favors. I saw very little difference between the Astros and the Nats going in except that one had hype and the other was not that well known. Are not Rendon and Soto the two best players in the series? I thought it was just me as a fan listening to the national media talk about all the things that made Houston dominant and thought, that describes the Nats too. Why don't they see that?

Now Houston has to deal with being an AL team playing NL rules.
Indeed. The Lightning (and the Caps of old) know something about this.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I still don't understand how an oddsmaker could look at the Nats rotation and lineup and not have them as, at the very least, an even team to win.

I know I did.
Astros' top 2 pitchers are 1-2 in AL WHIP and Greinke would be 5th if he qualified. They might have the best rotation since the 90s Braves.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I know I did.

Odds makers considered Cole and Verlander both better. A mistake perhaps. Plus home field. Having them go up those 2 games then discounted the advantage the Nats clearly have in 3 and 4 . Now, the Astros are just in trouble.

Now to add to it they have fired that Asst. GM. The karma isn't setting up for them either

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Astros' top 2 pitchers are 1-2 in AL WHIP and Greinke would be 5th if he qualified. They might have the best rotation since the 90s Braves.

The problem is that the AL was top heavy quality wise. They had 3 100 loss teams and 5 teams with more than 93 losses. The NHL has 1. The NL had 5 teams at or above 500 that missed the playoffs. The AL had 2. You can make a case that the Astros stats were pumped up because their competition sucked so bad. Where as the Nats shared a division with the Braves and Phillies.

On the basic numbers Houston has two pitchers in the top 10 in most pitching catagories. Cole and Verlander were 1 and 2 in many. In WHIP the Nats also had 2 top 10 pitchers in WHIP but in most of the other catagories the Nats had 3 pitchers in the top 10. Cole and Verlander were marginally better than Scherzer and Strasburg. That margin was stained somewhat by Max rehabbing in the majors from his injury which hurt his numbers. Corbin has been much better than Greinke. I don't see an advantage there at all. Then add in Sanchez.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Welcome to 2019 ....
In 1990 a group of players harassed a female reporter in the Patriots locker room, and the owner called the reporter a classic bitch. Within a year and a half he sold the team, which is now worth about $3 billion more than the price he sold it for. Whether the sale was from public pressure, his company Remington is now an afterthought and the stadium is of course named after a different razor company. But this behavior wasn’t acceptable 30 years ago.
Patriots owner Kiam, under pressure, apologizes to woman reporter

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
In 1990 a group of players harassed a female reporter in the Patriots locker room, and the owner called the reporter a classic *****. Within a year and a half he sold the team, which is now worth about $3 billion more than the price he sold it for. Whether the sale was from public pressure, his company Remington is now an afterthought and the stadium is of course named after a different razor company. But this behavior wasn’t acceptable 30 years ago.
Patriots owner Kiam, under pressure, apologizes to woman reporter

Thats not the issue imo. The issue to me is. The player in question is still employed by the team. Yet the guy who made a snarky comment about it is not. Today it’s worse to voice an opinion than actually do something

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Thats not the issue imo. The issue to me is. The player in question is still employed by the team. Yet the guy who made a snarky comment about it is not. Today it’s worse to voice an opinion than actually do something

I love that fact that Voynov will probably never play in the NHL again. So at least the NHL has gotten that correct.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

No. Its not about voicing an opinion. It was a sexist and verbally abusive move. While its legal, its also probably a violation of his contract. the player in question was suspended for 75 games for his actions

Reactions: Calicaps and twabby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Watching MLB Tonight. They didn't talk about the Nats in the first 3 blocks. In the 4th block they are doing Altuve and Soto but are focusing on Altuve. What is up with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad