Washington goaltending situation

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
His contract expires at the end of this season. What would be a more fair deal?
How about something that doesn’t involve a handicapping Cap Dump (Losskinen) and does involve something of tangible value to anyone (not Puljujaarvi and much better than a 2nd). The 2nd might be value for a non-extended Holtby, the Dump is not going to fly and Puljujaarvi should not be considered for value.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
If they were smart they would trade Holtby now while he has value. Who is in need of a goalie at the moment?

And have who to rely on the entire season? Samsonov is no where close to being ready for a starting NHL goalie workload.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
And have who to rely on the entire season? Samsonov is no where close to being ready for a starting NHL goalie workload.

Well hopefully he’s kind of close. Because that’s what he gonna have in 11 months.

But yeah, trading Holtby would be ridiculous. He’s not playing well right now, but you don’t trade your starter (who happens to be a playoff rock) when you’re on the short list of legit Cup contenders.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Well hopefully he’s kind of close. Because that’s what he gonna have in 11 months.

But yeah, trading Holtby would be ridiculous. He’s not playing well right now, but you don’t trade your starter (who happens to be a playoff rock) when you’re on the short list of legit Cup contenders.

And the plan for the next 11 months will be to slowly ramp him up to being able to do it next year. The plan isn’t just to throw him into the fire right now. Especially since the Capitals defense seems to be playing bad in front of both goalies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Gotta start somewhere...

I mean you can do the trial by fire if you want to I guess. But there are bound to be some bumps in the road with doing that. With how close the East always is to getting in the playoffs, I highly doubt the Capitals FO want to risk dealing with rookie slumps from their goalie and potentially not making it.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
You have the worst takes possible out of any poster on this site. Yeah, get rid of them both because of their performance in one game, the same game where Samsonov was thrown to the fire. Thank god you aren't anywhere close to being a front office executive

You realize its confirmed that NHL players/staff read this site, right? Anyways, Samsonov is highly overrated. .898 in the minors, and has given up many questionable goals already in NHL. Because Caps fans hype him so much as the being even better prospect than Gibson, then use that trade value to your advantage, deal him when you can get a big return. Backstrom's contract is up at season's end, Ovi's is up following season, team will go the way of the Kings if they don't make adjustments.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You realize its confirmed that NHL players/staff read this site, right? Anyways, Samsonov is highly overrated. .898 in the minors, and has given up many questionable goals already in NHL. Because Caps fans hype him so much as the being even better prospect than Gibson, then use that trade value to your advantage, deal him when you can get a big return. Backstrom's contract is up at season's end, Ovi's is up following season, team will go the way of the Kings if they don't make adjustments.
Because fans definitely determine the trade value. Definitely not scouting departments or general managers or the actual play of the players themselves.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If they were smart they would trade Holtby now while he has value. Who is in need of a goalie at the moment?

And then? You have a roster that expects to contend for a cup. You would back that roster with a kid goalie with 3 games experience in the NHL? Really? Aint gonna happen Boss

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Might be a blessing in disguise, I would pay Backstrom the money instead if I was a Caps fan.

That’s what was going to happen 99% of the time this offseason. They aren’t letting Backstrom go and they have no money for Holtby.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
And then? You have a roster that expects to contend for a cup. You would back that roster with a kid goalie with 3 games experience in the NHL? Really? Aint gonna happen Boss
I don't think it will but if Holtby doesn't start peforming a bit better I bet it gets looked at if he doesnt step it up within 20 games or so. I realize it's early but he's been pretty bad. Why not get something before letting him walk?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You can say Holtby wasn't as sharp as he needed to be last year, but it's laughable to say he's the reason they don't have multiple cups. And it's flat-out ignorant to say the only playoffs he was good in was the Cup run.
His GAA in the playoffs in 17th all-time, and the highest of any goalie in the league right now. Holtby has a .928 career playoff save percentage in 89 starts, 6th all-time.
The numbers are nice, but in deciding games Holtby was always outplayed. His pitiful performances in game 7 and 6 deciders prior to the Cup run cost the Capitals dearly. Saying that, he's the best goaltender the Caps have had in the Ovi/Backstrom era.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
That is absolute nonsense. Rangers fans should know better than any how good he has been in the playoffs. We've seen him play almost as many playoff games as Caps fans have. :laugh:

According to what?
Henrik outplayed Holtby in every Rangers series, win or lose.

Reactions: Absolut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad