Washington goaltending situation

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
At this point I could care less about Holtbys regular seasons. Caps are a playoff team even with below-average goal tending given the rest of the roster. And Holtby has one of the best playoff goaltenders of the last decade with one of the best all time playoff career save percentages. Get us to April and then let the guy do his thing.

It’ll be sad to see him go after this season. Going into the playoffs without a proven warrior like him will be unsettling next year.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
As a neutral fan, I will say that Holtby is one of the main causes why the Caps do not have multiple Cups. He hasn't been good in the playoffs except for 18/19. Last year's loss to Carolina was squarely on him. He had consistently created chaos in the defensive zone by kicking the puck out (and creating rebounds) instead of simply covering it up. Can't recover from poor goaltending in the playoffs.

You can say Holtby wasn't as sharp as he needed to be last year, but it's laughable to say he's the reason they don't have multiple cups. And it's flat-out ignorant to say the only playoffs he was good in was the Cup run.
His GAA in the playoffs in 17th all-time, and the highest of any goalie in the league right now. Holtby has a .928 career playoff save percentage in 89 starts, 6th all-time.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Let's hope Samsonov can step in and be the Goalie they hope he can be.

I just picked him up in my fantasy pool, so........let's go!!!

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The Jackets should probably think about trading for him, I’m pretty sure he’s going to rebound
It's not a bad idea for this year, but what's the long term plan? Giving Holtby a 5 year contract for $9MM per year? He is not worth it. Plus, I doubt Holtby would want to play in Columbus after being on a high profile team his entire career. Another free agent departure would sting. Should have just played nice with Bob, who was (for all his faults) the cornerstone of the team.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It's not a bad idea for this year, but what's the long term plan? Giving Holtby a 5 year contract for $9MM per year? He is not worth it. Plus, I doubt Holtby would want to play in Columbus after being on a high profile team his entire career. Another free agent departure would sting. Should have just played nice with Bob, who was (for all his faults) the cornerstone of the team.
He’s worth $6m a year max

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
At this point I could care less about Holtbys regular seasons. Caps are a playoff team even with below-average goal tending given the rest of the roster. And Holtby has one of the best playoff goaltenders of the last decade with one of the best all time playoff career save percentages. Get us to April and then let the guy do his thing.

It’ll be sad to see him go after this season. Going into the playoffs without a proven warrior like him will be unsettling next year.

Yeah, no. A good save percentage is all well. But Holtby outside of one year has failed to make the big save multiple times which is what has more weight for playoff performers. He’s been average to below for three years. I feel bad for whoever pays him big money if it’s offered.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yeah, no. A good save percentage is all well. But Holtby outside of one year has failed to make the big save multiple times which is what has more weight for playoff performers. He’s been average to below for three years. I feel bad for whoever pays him big money if it’s offered.
wonder if he changed routine. most intimidating eye movements in league

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
He shouldn't be in NHL...he had a .898 in AHL over 37gp last season
If you take a look at his stats after January 2019, you would find something positive. He took his AHL team to the playoffs. He didn't speak English when he arrived to NA. It took him time to learn NA hockey style. I don't know hockey that much, but still understand that there is a learning curve.

Reactions: klozge and Chips

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The Jackets should probably think about trading for him, I’m pretty sure he’s going to rebound
Idk about them specifically, but I do believe Holtby would rebound with a new team. I think his problem is mental cuz he really does put together great stretches still, but he generally tends to play bad at the same time the rest of his team can’t touch the puck. This whole team seems to shut down for stretches visibly looking defeated, and allow him to get hammered.
He was bad tonight, but the rest of the team was awful to start, they looked like they had given up before the game started.

He still makes huge saves other times and keeps them in games, when they’re playing great but are still making the occasional breakdown or giving breakaways.

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He shouldn't be in NHL...he had a .898 in AHL over 37gp last season
He finished very strong, and had previously been considered one of the very best goalie prospects around that age. He’s still considered one of the best, just a little lower on some people’s lists.

As the other guy said, he struggled not understanding English while also trying to adjust to NA hockey and life.

He’s been fairly strong so far in net if you actually watch him more than his stats. His first game would have been a shutout if not for a complete fluke of a goal, and a few other goals against were defensive breakdowns putting him in a tough spot.

Tonight, one of the goals against was a result of him trying to do Holtby’s thing leaving the net to play the puck, but he hesitated and messed up deciding to go at a bad time... which is a very common, typical rookie mistake hardly special to him.

Grubauer and Pheonix Copley both ended their most recent seasons in WSH strongly with a good rep; after starting the first half of the season with horrible stats. This Caps team tends to screw its goalies early by falling apart at the slightest adversity.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That was a crap game from the position today, no doubt.

Holtby is going to start in the playoffs. Samsonov will get every opportunity to steal playing time this season, as they are likely to use him as their starter next October (Copley will be his backup). Holtby likely walks as a free agent on July 1st, with a very slim chance he takes a discount and stays. The likelihood of a trade this year is virtually nil. I think that about covers it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
As a neutral fan, I will say that Holtby is one of the main causes why the Caps do not have multiple Cups. He hasn't been good in the playoffs except for 18/19. Last year's loss to Carolina was squarely on him. He had consistently created chaos in the defensive zone by kicking the puck out (and creating rebounds) instead of simply covering it up. Can't recover from poor goaltending in the playoffs.
That is absolute nonsense. Rangers fans should know better than any how good he has been in the playoffs. We've seen him play almost as many playoff games as Caps fans have. :laugh:

I agree. And he’s paid accordingly. It sounds very petty for people to ***** about him when he’s performing right around the area in which he’s paid.
According to what?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad