Washington goaltending situation

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think it will but if Holtby doesn't start peforming a bit better I bet it gets looked at if he doesnt step it up within 20 games or so. I realize it's early but he's been pretty bad. Why not get something before letting him walk?

Logic. If he is playing badly enough that the Caps would walk away from him and put one of the few remaining Ov prime seasons in the hands of a bone rookie, they would get nothing or less for him.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
And Binnington/Hart were?

3 goals on 3 shots to start last night against the Avalanche.

Bennington came out of nowhere. No one predicted him to be good or even lead the Blues to the playoffs. And Hart didn’t make the playoffs and is a much higher prospect than Samsonov.

So you didn’t make much of an argument there.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Bennington came out of nowhere. No one predicted him to be good or even lead the Blues to the playoffs. And Hart didn’t make the playoffs and is a much higher prospect than Samsonov.

So you didn’t make much of an argument there.
Samsonov was a HUGE prospect, the reason it's taken so long is his time in Russia playing on larger ice surfaces where you don't really play the puck much. He admitted that it was a big adjustment but he says he's made it and so have the coaches.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Samsonov was a HUGE prospect, the reason it's taken so long is his time in Russia playing on larger ice surfaces where you don't really play the puck much. He admitted that it was a big adjustment but he says he's made it and so have the coaches.

He may have been a HUGE prospect. But his play and how long it has taken him has knocked him out of the Hart level prospect.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
He may have been a HUGE prospect. But his play and how long it has taken him has knocked him out of the Hart level prospect.
Luckily how coveted of a prospect you are/were doesn't determine how well you stop the puck and Samsonov is off to as strong of a start as either tender I mentioned. To be clear, I'm not advocating for him replacing Holtby now, but Samsonov should have started that game last night and he did far better than Holtby did in net as well.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The Caps just have to hope for Hotby to figure things out. I would sit him for a couple of games, not as a "message" but as a wellness check.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Letting Grubauer go is looking worse and worse.

They couldn't keep Grubauer. Unless you are suggesting that the Caps should have traded Holtby after winning the Cup to keep Grubauer who knows the team has Samsonov coming regardless. Grubauer wanted out and as an RFA, he would have pushed the issue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ahh, that's on me, for some reason still thoughts he wa son the Caps. Still think they should give Samsonov the shot though

Excuse me. Giving him a shot is what they are doing. Going for broke and living and dying on a goalie with 3 NHL games of experience is a totally different thing. Should he not adjust the the league adjustments to him or prove he isn't ready for the NHL workload, you just flush a season of Ov? Further the kid is under no pressure right now to do anything but play and learn. Nobody is relying on him. Dumping that kind of pressure on a kid goalie by choice is ridiculous

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Luckily how coveted of a prospect you are/were doesn't determine how well you stop the puck and Samsonov is off to as strong of a start as either tender I mentioned. To be clear, I'm not advocating for him replacing Holtby now, but Samsonov should have started that game last night and he did far better than Holtby did in net as well.

He’s played in 3 games and has let up 4 goals. Neither of those are noteworthy enough can be construed to mean anything at this moment. You can’t say Samsonov is off to as strong of a start.

Also, Hart is a year younger than Samsonov and already has a complete year in the NHL. He’s much farther ahead than Samsonov while being younger.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He is a rooky. It's his 3rd game in NHL. .902% not bad for inexperienced goalie.

:huh:

Samsonov:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 7.42.41 PM.png

Good news for the Capitals though, if Samsonov doesn't work out they have a goalie who, while not as coveted of a prospect, is pretty damn good in his own right in Vitek Vanecek.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

crab

Jan 26, 2019
He’s played in 3 games and has let up 4 goals. Neither of those are noteworthy enough can be construed to mean anything at this moment. You can’t say Samsonov is off to as strong of a start.

Also, Hart is a year younger than Samsonov and already has a complete year in the NHL. He’s much farther ahead than Samsonov while being younger.

I think you are exaggerating things a bit. Hart played half a season in the NHL and was competing against Elliott, Stolarz, Picard and Neuvirth who were all terrible other than Elliott who was mediocre. Also one goalie is from Russia and it’s typical for non-north American goalies to take longer to come over and play in the NHL.

Philly is also a goalie graveyard so let’s wait and see what happens with Hart before getting too excited.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Holtby is at the end of his time in DC after this season. No way he is back next year. It is what it is. The Caps are ready to move on and it's obvious with how much they are playing Samsonov so early this season.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
It is a very similar situation to the Avalanche last year with oddly enough two other Washington goaltender products. Samsonov is the heir apparent and his reduced salary is big in allowing moves for the future compared to your long-time net minder, just like Grubauer was last season for the Avs. I see a more even split of games for the Capitals and riding the hot hand into the playoffs. Holtby backstopped an amazing run to the Cup, but the emergence of Samsonov, his pending UFA status, and decline over peak performance are sure signs he is signing elsewhere next Summer.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
But his play and how long it has taken him has knocked him out of the Hart level prospect.

Carter Hart 18-19 (AHL): 3.05 GAA and .902 SV%
Ilya Samsonov 18-19 (AHL): 2.70 GAA and .898 SV%

Carter Hart 19-20 (NHL): 1.62 GAA and .938 SV%
Ilya Samsonov 19-20 (NHL): 1.43 GAA and .944 SV%

Hart saw last year NHL time, while, as others had mentioned, not competing against the Cup winning Goalie with a Smythe worthy performance. Anyway at the end of the day Hart has a whole 31 more games at NHL Level over Samsonov, who played over 70 games in the KHL and won the Gagarin Cup. Dont know how anything knocked Samsonov out of any conversation for the most talented young goalies in the league.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Still. The dude's numbers are ridiculous.
Then you take look at his numbers in game 7 or deciding games and they're underwhelming. I still see the nightmare of 3 goals in the first in a game 7 against the Rangers, or 2 horrific goals in game 7 against the Pen in 17. I like Holtby but when it's a huge game he's generally come up short everywhere but the Cup run.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018

Samsonov's numbers are good any way you want to cut it.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Carter Hart 18-19 (AHL): 3.05 GAA and .902 SV%
Ilya Samsonov 18-19 (AHL): 2.70 GAA and .898 SV%

Carter Hart 19-20 (NHL): 1.62 GAA and .938 SV%
Ilya Samsonov 19-20 (NHL): 1.43 GAA and .944 SV%

Hart saw last year NHL time, while, as others had mentioned, not competing against the Cup winning Goalie with a Smythe worthy performance. Anyway at the end of the day Hart has a whole 31 more games at NHL Level over Samsonov, who played over 70 games in the KHL and won the Gagarin Cup. Dont know how anything knocked Samsonov out of any conversation for the most talented young goalies in the league.

How can you possibly compare their NHL numbers when one has played 10x more games than the other on a much inferior team?

All the while the other one has played a total of 3 games? Put him in the hall while you’re at it.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
How can you possibly compare their NHL numbers when one has played 10x more games than the other on a much inferior team?

All the while the other one has played a total of 3 games? Put him in the hall while you’re at it.

you do know what 19-20 is right?

If you have complaints about game played you should point out the 18-19 season.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
The road forward here seems very obvious: keep Holtby around for the season, hope Samsonov pushes for 30-40 games, and run with the hot hand for the playoffs. Then let Holtby hit free agency in the offseason and pick up a Greiss/Howard/Halak type who can timeshare with Samsonov, and transition to a pure backup role if Samsonov is ready for 50-60 games next year.

I'm surprised that a bunch of people are suggesting that Washington does otherwise.

Reactions: wickedwitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->