Washington goaltending situation

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Calm down, chief. You take anything Capitals very personally.

I’m actually giving an educated response to someone that responded to my initial post. If you don’t have anything of value to add, don’t quote me.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Did you look at Holby's stats like the poster suggested before you went on your rant, chief?

How old are you that you are calling people “chief”? Or is that something you find funny?

I did look at his stats. He’s a middle of the road starter that has won a Stanley Cup. About 15-20 teams would gladly take what Holtby has done for the Capitals.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
How old are you that you are calling people “chief”? Or is that something you find funny?

I did look at his stats. He’s a middle of the road starter that has won a Stanley Cup. About 15-20 teams would gladly take what Holtby has done for the Capitals.
It's f***ing hilarious.

I will always be thankful for Holtby for bringing us a Stanley Cup. I'm not squarely blaming him for the losses, but he was awful in last year's playoffs. Especially game 7. This year is starting to look the same too.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
It's ****ing hilarious.

I will always be thankful for Holtby for bringing us a Stanley Cup. I'm not squarely blaming him for the losses, but he was awful in last year's playoffs. Especially game 7. This year is starting to look the same too.

Boo Hoo. He was one of the main causes that the championship deprived city of Washington actually won something.

You guys should be grateful.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Your using backups who play 15-30 games and then criticizing my use of wins? There are only so many goalies in the NHL who can play 50 games and have a .910 save %. 13 did it last year and Holtby was one of them.
Wins arent really a great argument though. Washington was 5th in goals scored last season, so Holtby has an advantage there over the vast majority of starters. A .910 save percentage is okay, but as said, 13 other goalies did that. That's almost half the starters in the league.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Wins arent really a great argument though. Washington was 5th in goals scored last season, so Holtby has an advantage there over the vast majority of starters. A .910 save percentage is okay, but as said, 13 other goalies did that. That's almost half the starters in the league.

He’s the 8th highest paid goalie. That should also be thrown out for context.

People here are acting like 1) He’s the highest paid goalie in the league and should be carrying the Capitals on his back and 2) Acting like he’s god awful. When he is performing right around in accordance with how he’s paid.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He’s the 8th highest paid goalie. That should also be thrown out for context.

People here are acting like 1) He’s the highest paid goalie in the league and should be carrying the Capitals on his back and 2) Acting like he’s god awful. When he is performing right around in accordance with how he’s paid.
Hes not god awful hes just not elite anymore. In that 10-15 range IMO.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That is just a laughably bad take. “Bad” you say? Haven’t the Capitals won the division that last 3 years?

Capitals defense played a big hand in their collapse against the Hurricanes also. It’s not all on Holtby.

I agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second. There was no "collapse" against the Canes, it was a back and forth series that went to game seven and two OT's.

That being said if Holtby stops this shot, the Capitals maybe move on. I know in the post game thread it was a really sour spot with fans.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second. There was no "collapse" against the Canes, it was a back and forth series that went to game seven and two OT's.

That being said if Holtby stops this shot, the Capitals maybe move on. I know in the post game thread it was a really sour spot with fans.

Being up 2 goals twice after dominating 40 minutes of play is collapsing. The didn't collapse to lose the entire series as it was relatively even all told, but that game 7 was a collapse and it started with an atrocious goal let in by Holtby.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Holtby will be fine.
I keep seeing this but what supports him being fine? Barring an outlier Cup run where he didn't even come in as the starter, Holtby has been borderline bad for 2 years now and this start is awful. He's basically one of the worst goaltenders in the league through 6 games.

People keep throwing his career numbers out like they matter to what happens now and those numbers were inflated due to some stacked Capitals teams, regular season and playoffs. Holtby is a good goalie that many believe to be great but that just isn't the case, not consistently anyway.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Being up 2 goals twice after dominating 40 minutes of play is collapsing. The didn't collapse to lose the entire series as it was relatively even all told, but that game 7 was a collapse and it started with an atrocious goal let in by Holtby.

One goalie had a .919, one goalie had a .905, that's your game seven.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No it’s not. Last year he was 8th in wins with a .911 save % and 2.82 GAA. Those are solid numbers with a starters load.

Those aren’t solid numbers given the team he plays on. He had a good cup run but has been garbage the last 2+ years.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This might be a difficult one for Washington, but not as difficult when the Cancuks had Schneider and Luongo.

Holtby could fetch a massive long-term deal with another team if Washington doesn't sign him, Samsonov could be their goalie of the future. But also, Washington is better off trading one before the expansion draft so they don't lose or have to do a trade to ensure their roster is safe like Columbus, Florida, Pittsburgh did with Vegas.

This could go one of two ways.

1. Just trade Samsonov in a package deal for a star at the deadline, between 2020-22, to a rebuilding team in need of a young goalie bound to be a starter. For now we'll just say either Minnesota, LA or Ottawa.

2a. If nothing gets done with Holtby trade him to either Buffalo, Detroit or Edmonton (maybe a sign and trade or those teams wait for free agency, or the trade will consist of conditional picks).
2b. Trade Holtby to the highest bidder and that team will let him test the market. Say Calgary, maybe Colorado or even St. Louis.

I personally would keep Holtby if I was Washington considering he has done a ton for that franchise, don't want to sign him and let Samsonov sit on the bench when he's in his prime.

But if I do see Holtby ending up anywhere I would think it'd be likely Edmonton.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Boo Hoo. He was one of the main causes that the championship deprived city of Washington actually won something.

As a neutral fan, I will say that Holtby is one of the main causes why the Caps do not have multiple Cups. He hasn't been good in the playoffs except for 18/19. Last year's loss to Carolina was squarely on him. He had consistently created chaos in the defensive zone by kicking the puck out (and creating rebounds) instead of simply covering it up. Can't recover from poor goaltending in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Tbh Holtby has surely had his stretches and his moments yet him being the Caps main goalie has never made much sense to me. Or being seen as an almost elite goalie by some in general.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018

This goal at 1:30 was arguably worse and it was shorthanded. The entire team let down but that juicy rebound off of a nothing shot for a goal that gave the Canes life is inexcusable. Holtby basically gave this game away off of these goals and then played extremely well to even make it competitive in OT.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

Of course we're thankful, but we're also realistic. Holtby's play has declined, and most of us don't want to sign him to a Blackhawks-style thanks for the Cup contract that will hurt the team moving forward.

As for the playoff losses, I certainly don't blame him for all of them, but he was the biggest factor in their loss to the Canes last year. He was just awful in G7 when they needed him to make the routine saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad