OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
That would be a pretty horrible trade for the 4th best QB (or 5th depending on Mac/Fields/Lance) in a draft with generally weak QBs beyond 1/2. It won't be enough to move up to 4, and if he drops to 8 or 9 it would be too much.

Not if he develops into a stud.

These QB rankings are hardly final.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Sheehan and Cooley talked about the cost to move up. Both in worth (draft picks) and potential. The consensus was outside the top 2 QBs the potential isn’t there to justify the cost to get to 4 to get one. And Cooley and McElroy both think SF will take Lance 3.

Sheehan and Cooley did agree the cost goes down after pick 5. Still significant but less than what would be needed to get to 4. After 5 there are 3 picks before DEN at 9 and DEN is seen as wanting a QB. So is Jones or Fields worth the cost to get before DEN at 9? Tough question.

For me, after what I’ve heard of Jones and Fields after the last couple days, if Jones is still on the board after 10 he would be worth giving what it would cost to get him but not Fields. If Fields is there at 19 maybe take him but he sounds like another Haskins. Wait for him in the 2nd and if he goes then look for Newman or Trask to develop behind Fitz.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Todd McShay’s latest 2 round mock has us taking JOK @ 19 and QB Davis Mills in round 2.
I would love the JOK pick. I'd prefer to wait for 3/10 for a QB, but if the top 5 are gone in the first 10-15 picks, it makes sense that teams will get itchy and feel they have to act early on the next tier of guys. Mills is the guy I'd feel more comfortable with out of him/Trask/Mond -- though his lack of experience is worrisome (I have to be consistent...)

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Wow, never thought of it that way... ;)

What do you think the odds of him developing into a stud in Washington are? Just curious.

I dk, friend.

I'm saying judging a deal based on draft day rankings is pretty f***ing presumptuous given everything we know about the NFL draft.

Some people say Wilson is better than Lawrence. Some people say Lance has more upside than Mac Jones.

We'll see.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I dk, friend.

I'm saying judging a deal based on draft day rankings is pretty f***ing presumptuous given everything we know about the NFL draft.

Some people say Wilson is better than Lawrence. Some people say Lance has more upside than Mac Jones.

We'll see.

No, judging draft results on draft say is presumptuous. Judging trades made before draft day is simple - there are value charts that indicate how much each pick is worth, and trading away picks above the value chart is a lose, period. Its even more of a lose when you don't even know who you are going to have available to select yet. Then its just randomly overpaying in hopes a guy you like falls to that particular spot on draft day.

Of course, if Lance is our pick and Lance becomes a stud, then any maneuver to get him was worth it, but thats simply not how good NFL clubs operate in terms of trading picks before the draft even happens.

Who will SF draft at 3? Are we certain?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow, never thought of it that way... ;)

What do you think the odds of him developing into a stud in Washington are? Just curious.

considering our long and glorious history of QB development.....hmmmm...it’s a lock?

Not to you, but on the subject of trading up, I’m not up for trading up now unless it’s for a near sure thing. Don’t force it....take a guy on day 2 and try to develop him.

they screwed the pooch on getting the guy this year. Have to pick one and hope, then be prepared to try again. It’s how we roll...

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If that guy can catch the ball and avoid injury he's going to give LBs and some CBs total fits

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
considering our long and glorious history of QB development.....hmmmm...it’s a lock?

Not to you, but on the subject of trading up, I’m not up for trading up now unless it’s for a near sure thing. Don’t force it....take a guy on day 2 and try to develop him.

they screwed the pooch on getting the guy this year. Have to pick one and hope, then be prepared to try again. It’s how we roll...

The Shanahans developed the hell out RG3 and Cousins. Gruden was obviously not calling the shots on Haskins.

I think we have to give Rivera and Co. some rope to pick a guy. They did correctly identify Haskins as a dud by like Week 3.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Shanahans developed the hell out RG3 and Cousins. Gruden was obviously not calling the shots on Haskins.

I think we have to give Rivera and Co. some rope to pick a guy. They did correctly identify Haskins as a dud by like Week 3.

Don’t want a huge debate over it, but I disagree....I think RG3 developed very little, they simply gamed an offensive system around his natural talents. Take away that natural talent via injury and his development was completely exposed because he had no ability to adapt his game.

like I said though.....I’m happy to let them pick a day 2 guy and try to develop him now.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Jesus, how often do you think of Renaldo Nehemiah? That had to be 40 years ago!

Hey, 10 year old me was very intrigued by the prospect of a track star trying to play football apparently. Especially for Walsh’s 49ers so I guess it stuck with me.

I actually make this reference in similar situations a decent amount, assuming some of the people in the conversation are old enough to have any idea who I am talking about of course. Anyone can reference Jordan trying to play baseball. But Renaldo Nehemiah gives you serious credibility as a sports fan. ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hey, 10 year old me was very intrigued by the prospect of a track star trying to play football apparently. Especially for Walsh’s 49ers so I guess it stuck with me.

I actually make this reference in similar situations a decent amount, assuming some of the people in the conversation are old enough to have any idea who I am talking about of course. Anyone can reference Jordan trying to play baseball. But Renaldo Nehemiah gives you serious credibility as a sports fan. ;)

I remember and up until a few years ago I think I had the SI issue. But RN was just a fast guy with no other physical traits setting him apart. Kind of an experiment. We've already seen some big, freakish guys move to the NFL @ TE from basketball or whatever so this has more traction, imo

hurdling-into-the-nfl-renaldo-nehemiah-of-the-san-francisco-april-26-1982-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad