OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think linebacker needs to be the pick to really turn the D into something special. Zaven Collins is a stud and should be available at 19. He's got the size and the smarts to play every down like an old school Rivera style linebacker. He's not a 4.4 guy but he's pretty fast for somebody so big. JOK scares me a little as a boom or bust guy and I'd really rather not go after that skillset. Probably 0 chance we sniff Parsons without moving up and I don't know that moving up is what this organization needs to do while building a foundation.

Draft Collins, he's going to play 12-15 years as a starter and never look back.

Reactions: max21

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
So here's a hypothetical. Denver has the 9th pick and one of the top five quarterbacks drop to them and they take him. That leaves Drew Lock as the odd man out and they want to move him. Would you part with one of the third rounds picks for him? You're getting a young quarterback with a big arm and athletic ability that needs some work, but the payoff could be tremendous.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think linebacker needs to be the pick to really turn the D into something special. Zaven Collins is a stud and should be available at 19. He's got the size and the smarts to play every down like an old school Rivera style linebacker. He's not a 4.4 guy but he's pretty fast for somebody so big. JOK scares me a little as a boom or bust guy and I'd really rather not go after that skillset. Probably 0 chance we sniff Parsons without moving up and I don't know that moving up is what this organization needs to do while building a foundation.

Draft Collins, he's going to play 12-15 years as a starter and never look back.

what’s the knock on JOK? Also are 12-15 year starters at linebacker realistic?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
what’s the knock on JOK? Also are 12-15 year starters at linebacker realistic?
He's a hybrid kind of backer. He's small and fast and probably better suited playing a safety role for longevity. He's only 215 and the last 20 or so lbs of that are added muscle since he got to Notre Dame. He's not naturally a big man. I'd say it's realistic for someone built like Collins, health permitting. Look at a guy like Urlacher who he gets a lot of comparison to. He played 13 and was a do it all crash and banger who probably had more in him but decided to retire anyways.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I don’t really want a versatile LB, we have a player like that in K. Hudson. Give me a run stopper, Zeke and Barkley destroy us regularly

Reactions: Holtbyisms

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not a fan of heavy trading down. You just lose out on talent and dilute what little talent there is and ensure mediocrity. Go for studs and hit on later rounds/walk ons / looting others practice squads. If you aren't hitting on later rounds giving yourself more picks in later rounds isn't going to help much. At all.

The time to trade back is when we know the guy we really want will still be available X picks later.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Not a fan of heavy trading down. You just lose out on talent and dilute what little talent there is and ensure mediocrity. Go for studs and hit on later rounds/walk ons / looting others practice squads. If you aren't hitting on later rounds giving yourself more picks in later rounds isn't going to help much. At all.

The time to trade back is when we know the guy we really want will still be available X picks later.

I think it's situational.

I'm all for trading down this year if the Lance deal falls through bc the draft is deep at both LB and OL.

There are legitimately 6 LBs and maybe 10 OL worthy of top 50 selections. By all means get multiple.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I am warming to the idea of Lance after listening to scouts talk up his talent and character.

Which naturally means Kyle is going to take him.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I am warming to the idea of Lance after listenting to some scouts talk up his talent and character upside.

Which naturally means Kyle is going to take him.

I'd be fine with LAnce if he falls to 19. Trading multiple 1sts to move up for a guy with plenty of question marks (experience, recency, competition) would be crazy.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I'd take a LB or a S -- if JOK, Parsons and Collins are all magically gone by 19 (they won't be), then I would have no trouble taking Moehrig.
A guy who can wreck shit at the second level against the run AND more than hold up his end in coverage aginst backs and TE's will make this D terrifying.
Gimme any of those 4 guys. I want NFCE opponents shitting their pants six times a year.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
No, thank you.
Well at one time there was the greatest show on turf. Add in a guy like Toney and now you've got the class of the grass and you can really breakout your air game. It's interesting. I would prefer someone with size and speed (Bateman, Marshall Jr), but I'd have no problems with this. The draft is deep in linebackers and offensive linemen, so use your 2nd on an LB and the 2 third on an OT and maybe another LB and the issue has been addressed.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'd be fine with LAnce if he falls to 19. Trading multiple 1sts to move up for a guy with plenty of question marks (experience, recency, competition) would be crazy.

I doubt that'll happen. I just hope the price on him isn't 3 1sts. Can we do 1st and 3rd '21 and 1st and 3rd '22 please.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I doubt that'll happen. I just hope the price on him isn't 3 1sts. Can we do 1st and 3rd '21 and 1st and 3rd '22 please.
The lack of experience and level of competition questions are just too much for me.
No doubt recency-bias is coloring my reaction, but Lance just screams "Dwayne Haskins, Vol II" but with lower quality of competition AND more draft capital expended for the privilege of finding out he, too, can't play.
If he's there at 19, we take him and I'm right, I can live with that. But not spending multiple picks.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

I'm not sure how I feel about a move for Trey Lance. I'd feel more comfortable with a Mac Jones or Justin Fields if that's the kind of bounty to be paid. I'm starting to get aboard the Davis Mills train. The fact he went out and priced he can perform in less than ideal conditions is what sealed the deal for me. Yes, the knee surgeries are a question mark, but if he can be grabbed with one of the third rounds picks, I'd be down with that. I'm also comfortable us they select Kyle Trask. He might not be a true gunslinger or the most athletic, but he sees the field well and he makes all the throws and reads that you want from a quarterback. There's potential to work with from both Mills and Trask.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Cooley did a film break down for Fields on Sheehan’s pod. Said Fields has the elite running ability like Lamar Jackson but is a slightly better passer than Haskins. B- accuracy and not great anticipation. Sounds like 2nd round material.

Also heard Greg McElroy say on John Keims pod that Jaime Newman would the perfect developmental QB for DC in the later rounds.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

That would be a pretty horrible trade for the 4th best QB (or 5th depending on Mac/Fields/Lance) in a draft with generally weak QBs beyond 1/2. It won't be enough to move up to 4, and if he drops to 8 or 9 it would be too much.

Reactions: ynotcaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad