OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Training Camp and Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It’s not about disliking him. It’s about recognizing value.

To each their own here, but time has proven it was the correct decision to move on. That’s all.

Anyone can claim otherwise - but not with a straight face.
They gave Alex Smith what Cousins asked for. Now look at the domino effect in cap room and picks before and after Smith snapped his leg. Now that’s value.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It is a personal choice….but so is doing the right thing.

Let’s see some keys guys miss games and game checks, then let’s check in on who’s mad at who….

Reactions: max21

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think it's at the point where its a cultural pushback against shaming more than about health or choice right now. People just dig in stubbornly when they feel like others are shaming them. It's an "us" vs "them" attitude now.

Just let people do whatever. If that means we forfeit games, we forfeit games.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I can’t believe there is football on this week. And the Premier League starts this weekend. The Olympics were great to get through the summer lull.
It is preseason. Turned on that DAL/PIT game and lasted 5 min. No names. Different when it’s your team but still, watching bad football is watching bad football.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think it's at the point where its a cultural pushback against shaming more than about health or choice right now. People just dig in stubbornly when they feel like others are shaming them. It's an "us" vs "them" attitude now.

Just let people do whatever. If that means we forfeit games, we forfeit games.
Exactly. It’s mind your own ****ing business time.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

Well, I would prefer everyone get vaccinated... lol

But I think at this point, you are not going to get people who are already dug in by shaming them. Shaming them will only lead them to dig in more. I understood your point about that when you made it awhile back.

So if those that would rather not vaccinate are willing to take that risk, then the team has to take that risk.

But if we happen to lose out on a playoff berth because of forfeiture of games. Well, that's entirely on those players. And I hope they are ready for that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, I would prefer everyone get vaccinated... lol

But I think at this point, you are not going to get people who are already dug in by shaming them. Shaming them will only lead them to dig in more. I understood your point about that when you made it awhile back.

So if those that would rather not vaccinate are willing to take that risk, then the team has to take that risk.

But if we happen to lose out on a playoff berth because of forfeiture of games. Well, that's entirely on those players. And I hope they are ready for that.

What else would you suggest? There have to be consequences for this behavior. They're not listening to the real science and are instead buying into disinformation from bad faith actors and quacks. The only alternative is social pressure.

Call it a "choice" if you want but it's a horrible choice that affects others in extreme ways.

Reactions: tenken00

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It is preseason. Turned on that DAL/PIT game and lasted 5 min. No names. Different when it’s your team but still, watching bad football is watching bad football.
Yeah for sure. Still, it means that good football is (hopefully) right around the corner. And it means that the awful DC summers are coming to a close.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
What else would you suggest? There have to be consequences for this behavior. They're not listening to the real science and are instead buying into disinformation from bad faith actors and quacks. The only alternative is social pressure.

Call it a "choice" if you want but it's a horrible choice that affects others in extreme ways.

Well. Nothing else to do but let them abide by their decisions.. and the consequences of their decisions. You can't really do much more unless you physically strap them down. It's not the military.

Just keep on encouraging players, show the benefits of getting it for the individual and for the team. And for the coach of course. But without all the negativity and public shaming. What else can you do?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's also a "choice" to use racial slurs against people. People can continue the practice, but there are social consequences for that behavior.

With something even more impactful and dangerous such as a disease that mutates the longer we allow it to thrive, why are we handling this topic like a live grenade? We don't have decades to wear people down with incremental change and evolving social norms as was the case with a lot of offensive language. The "choice" to be ignorant has to be called out asap, as a matter of life and death for many.

"Oh that's just how they are" is the same shit people said in the early civil rights days when excusing bad behavior, some of which WAS deadly.

Reactions: HTFN and tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
It's also a "choice" to use racial slurs against people. People can continue the practice, but there are social consequences for that behavior.

With something even more impactful and dangerous such as a disease that mutates the longer we allow it to thrive, why are we handling this topic like a live grenade? We don't have decades to wear people down with incremental change and evolving social norms as was the case with a lot of offensive language. The "choice" to be ignorant has to be called out asap, as a matter of life and death for many.

"Oh that's just how they are" is the same shit people said in the early civil rights days when excusing bad behavior, some of which WAS deadly.

Are we talking about the attitude towards the vaccine within the larger public, or just the WFT team specifically? I meant just talking about our football team.

If I was Ron Rivera, I would try to make it into a team unity thing.

Perhaps to stop the public shaming, I would make all team players and staff wear masks and not just unvaccinated ones. I'll try to spin it by saying once everyone is vaccinated we'll all take the masks back off. But we are a team 100%. We do things all as a team or we don't do things all as a team. Whatever we do, we do it all together 100%.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are we talking about the attitude towards the vaccine within the larger public, or just the WFT team specifically? I meant just talking about our football team.

If I was Ron Rivera, I would try to make it into a team unity thing.

Perhaps to stop the public shaming, I would make all team players and staff wear masks and not just unvaccinated ones. I'll try to spin it by saying once everyone is vaccinated we'll all take the masks back off. But we are a team 100%. We do things all as a team or we don't do things all as a team. Whatever we do, we do it all together 100%.

I don't think you can really separate the two by now. People are having their heads filled with crazy crap and that informs these decisions.

I think your idea sounds good from a unity messaging standpoint but I'm not sure it totally fixes things. People who are opposed to vax even resist masking and when they do mask they often cut corners by nosing etc. Then they keep pushing the boundaries until people are tired of correcting them. And when they're not at a team facility they're probably still behaving as though the pandemic doesn't exist. So they could be bringing COVID into the team facility while incorrectly using their masks.

There is an easy, practical, safe solution: get the damn shot.

And if you don't maybe you have to practice separate from the team. Maybe that affects your readiness for Sunday. Maybe that affects your playing time.

For a long time coaches have tried to get players to lose weight or otherwise change habits using this same carrot and stick. And that was just when it affected the individual's health, not everyone else's. So even more cause to use that leverage now.

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Nope! Not at all. Its MY business if you smoke a cig on an airplane because that affects my health. Its MY business if you play with fire in the brush outside my house because that puts my life/property at risk. Its MY business if you voluntarily choose to ignore safety precautions when driving your car on my street because that puts my child's life at risk.

If you choose to ignore simple medical practice which causes a pandemic that has killed millions to continue, increasing the risk that it morphs into something even more deadly and more easily spread to infect other innocent people who ARE doing the right things, that is MY business and I will continue to name, shame and criticize people who act so irresponsibly to their fellow humanity. If you think its your right to be an a hole, then its also my right to call you an a hole.

Not you personally, WetHog. In this context "you" being those people who are refusing to do the right thing for "political" reasons, or because they are unable to do any critical thinking and look at real science, instead being lead by the nose from other politically motivated disinformation campaigners.

Like the meme says "I don't know how to convince you to care about other people".

Reactions: g00n

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I don't think you can really separate the two by now. People are having their heads filled with crazy crap and that informs these decisions.

I think your idea sounds good from a unity messaging standpoint but I'm not sure it totally fixes things. People who are opposed to vax even resist masking and when they do mask they often cut corners by nosing etc. Then they keep pushing the boundaries until people are tired of correcting them. And when they're not at a team facility they're probably still behaving as though the pandemic doesn't exist. So they could be bringing COVID into the team facility while incorrectly using their masks.

There is an easy, practical, safe solution: get the damn shot.

And if you don't maybe you have to practice separate from the team. Maybe that affects your readiness for Sunday. Maybe that affects your playing time.

For a long time coaches have tried to get players to lose weight or otherwise change habits using this same carrot and stick. And that was just when it affected the individual's health, not everyone else's. So even more cause to use that leverage now.

That's the thing. If vaccinated players and staff are worried or are tired of wearing masks they can talk to their peers and co-workers about it. But it can't come as an order or directive from above. It has to come from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad