OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Regular Season - Part 1 - The Taylor Heinicke Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I've sworn off years ago to never directly give any capital to the Redskins/WFT as long as Snyder is the owner.

I've only been in person to a Washington game once in the past 5 years. And that was in Miami.

I was a diehard fan. Diehard. I love ST, but even my memory of him doesn't even come close to the disgust I have with Snyder and the organization.

Ok then if I am understanding this correctly you were never going to this ceremony anyway regardless of the amount of notice?

Your outrage is over the apparent use of this to draw people’s attention away from from the other BS going on? I get it and don’t disagree that it is the likely reason for this event being scheduled at this time.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Ok then if I am understanding this correctly you were never going to this ceremony anyway regardless of the amount of notice?

Your outrage is over the apparent use of this to draw people’s attention away from from the other BS going on? I get it and don’t disagree that it is the likely reason for this event being scheduled at this time.

Um. Yes? I never stated otherwise lol. It's just the organization being the organization. Nothing new. And exactly that. Nothing new. For the better part of 22 years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Whether or not any fan would've gone or will now refuse to go is beside the point. It's a hypothetical and nobody is required to buy a ticket to back up their opinion. I don't recall a single poster here saying "shit I would've definitely gone if they'd given more notice". Maybe I missed it.

The outrage is over the crass abuse of the player and the man, seemingly for financial/egotistical/nefarious purposes, that just add to the growing stench already rising from FedEx Field.

Reactions: tenken00 and max21

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Whether or not any fan would've gone or will now refuse to go is beside the point. It's a hypothetical and nobody is required to buy a ticket to back up their opinion. I don't recall a single poster here saying "shit I would've definitely gone if they'd given more notice". Maybe I missed it.

The outrage is over the crass abuse of the player and the man, seemingly for financial/egotistical/nefarious purposes, that just add to the growing stench already rising from FedEx Field.

I’m not disagreeing with you. It sounds like nobody is tangibly effected by how the organization handled this. Nobody would have attended if given proper notice so in that sense the late notice doesn’t matter.

The issue is that it is being used to deflect from the other stuff going on.

I just wanted to understand the source of the outrage. Thanks everyone for indulging me.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I’m not disagreeing with you. It sounds like nobody is tangibly effected by how the organization handled this. Nobody would have attended if given proper notice so in that sense the late notice doesn’t matter.

I just wanted to understand the source of the outrage. Thanks everyone for indulging me.

It sounds like nobody is tangibly affected because that's how the fans feel about the organization in the first place. There's a reason why FedEx Field was selling out game after game and it all spluttered and bottomed out recently, no? And why the WFT are trying to pull this stunt in the first place.

If people were happy with the organization, you don't think FedEx Field would be at full capacity anyways?

Reactions: Cappy76

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Ok but I think you're kind of missing the point on the "tangibly effected" (sic) thing. It's impossible to truly tell who would and wouldn't have attended with such short notice AND the bullshit motivations possibly behind it.

The entire point was that this kind of thing needed more/better planning and notice, and should not be timed to coincide with several scandals AND flagging attendance.

We don't have to also be thinking "well shit, I definitely would've gone if I'd known sooner" to feel that way, and our reasons don't have to be transactional. That's not the only way people interact with sports teams or people.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'll add even more shade to this witches brew....what if Snyder is doing this to test the waters regarding fan loyalty? What if the thinking was "let's retire #21, and if that doesn't bring people out we'll know for sure we have a REAL problem"?

How shitty would that be? Nothing would surprise me.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I don't really know what you mean by "tangibly effected." This isn't really an if/then statement problem, i.e. nobody is arguing that if they announced it earlier then they'd go. The physical act of attending or not attending the game is not what's important or the issue or that's causing so much heartache.

The core issue is that ST21 is a legend to this fanbase. He is the biggest "what if" in our franchise's history and one of the biggest what ifs in the history of the NFL. He is one of the only shining lights we have remaining since Snyder has ruined everything else. He was our Alex Ovechkin; a guy who was seemingly put on this Earth to do one thing and he was ours. He was the guy who could have been one of the all-time greats and who we saw growing up in front of us from a hothead kid out of Miami to a devoted father and fiance who was also a stone-cold killer on the field who could do things never before seen in the sport. And he was taken from us in heart-wrenching fashion that left people devastated.

When people talk about the WFT it's almost always negative commentary about how much of a mess we are off the field or how badly we suck on the field but when people talk about ST21, that's one of the only times that WFT fans can puff out their chest a bit and feel good about this organization. There's universal respect for him. He was above all of the other bullshit and was untainted by Snyder's curse.

And now it feels like that aspect has been torn away. Now it feels like he's an act in a clownshow that never stops. His jersey retirement feels like an afterthought and a distraction from all of the negative PR the team has received. He's been dragged into the mud and people are furious about it. ST was the one thing we thought Snyder couldn't take from us and yet he managed to f*** it up.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ok but I think you're kind of missing the point on the "tangibly effected" (sic) thing. It's impossible to truly tell who would and wouldn't have attended with such short notice AND the bullshit motivations possibly behind it.

Understood. I was taking an straw pole of the people on this board currently complaining about the timing of this. I haven’t seen one response that says yes if given proper notice I would have gone but now I can’t. I was looking for a ‘dammit I love Sean Taylor the way my dad loved Riggo and I absolutely would have been there but now I have a family trip to visit my in-laws in Hilton Head already on the books this weekend that I would never have planned for this time if I knew about this a few months ago’ type of answer.

I 100% understand why so many are so discontent with the franchise overall. And yes this absolutely fits their longtime MO.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
From what i read ...

This was planned months ago. It is also apparently alumni weekend. The timing of the event wasnt done to get good PR after this shit show. It was coincidental ... and the team just created even more self-inflicted bad PR by forgetting to announce it and roll it out properly.

Jason Wright and the team just forgot to announce it.

Screenshot_2019-09-24-Jeff-Hoo-backs-the-National-Champions-on-Twitter-613x543.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Understood. I was taking an straw pole of the people on this board currently complaining about the timing of this. I haven’t seen one response that says yes if given proper notice I would have gone but now I can’t. I was looking for a ‘dammit I love Sean Taylor the way my dad loved Riggo and I absolutely would have been there but now I have a family trip to visit my in-laws in Hilton Head already on the books this weekend that I would never have planned for this time if I knew about this a few months ago’ type of answer.

I 100% understand why so many are so discontent with the franchise overall. And yes this absolutely fits their longtime MO.

Ok. I get that. I understand what you were trying to do. But part of my point is that it's a futile exercise to try and assess even that much about actual long term plans when this is all so sudden, and we've had what, a few hours to digest it? There really is no way to quantify the impact regarding "tangible effect" right now, and there probably shouldn't be. It's a shitty move that takes the decision out of peoples' hands and turns it into something tainted.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
From what i read ...

This was planned months ago. It is also apparently alumni weekend. The timing of the event wasnt done to get good PR after this shit show. It was coincidental ... and the team just created even more self-inflicted bad PR by forgetting to announce it and roll it out properly.

Screenshot_2019-09-24-Jeff-Hoo-backs-the-National-Champions-on-Twitter-613x543.jpg

1) I'll believe that story/excuse when I see proof they can't doctor
2) forgetting to announce such a thing until the Thursday before a game isn't much better

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
1) I'll believe that story/excuse when I see proof they can't doctor
2) forgetting to announce such a thing until the Thursday before a game isn't much better

I am confused on how Brian Mitchell wasnt told and didnt hear a peep about this.

For now .. I trust Jason Wright and will take him at his word.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
From what i read ...

So... the alternative is... what? Incompetence?

How do you forget to announce such a huge event? And not just that. How do you forget to market it?

And this is a business. Not potluck night at Aunt Judy's. How do you forget about the paying customers in the first place? For months?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't buy the mea culpa here. The alumni were told they'd be "honoring" ST and his family but nothing about retiring the number. Maybe it was meant to be a surprise. In which case why did they make the announcement today?

Maybe....for all the reasons we noted earlier (distraction, flagging attendance, PR, testing the fanbase, etc)?

I can see withholding the retirement aspect if the place is sold out. That makes some sense. But this? Nope.

Reactions: Neil Racki

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't buy the mea culpa here. The alumni were told they'd be "honoring" ST and his family but nothing about retiring the number. Maybe it was meant to be a surprise. In which case why did they make the announcement today?

Maybe....for all the reasons we noted earlier (distraction, flagging attendance, PR, testing the fanbase, etc)?

I can see withholding the retirement aspect if the place is sold out. That makes some sense. But this? Nope.

Whats that quote? "Never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained by incompetence" or something similar. I believe they had planned this for a while, based on Ryan Clark's tweet. I believe they effed up the planning and forgot to, you know, tell the fans.

Only two possibilities here: 1) they planned it a while ago and forgot to tell the fans, or 2) they planned it at the last minute as a distraction. 1) is incompetence, 2 is malfeasance. Although both are possible for the WFT, I just think its 1) in this case.

Bottom line is the WFT is both incompetent and malicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad