OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Regular Season - Part 1 - The Taylor Heinicke Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Now that I think about it, it's probably less to distract from the email thing and more to try and boost shitty attendance.

Which is not any better.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's beyond my comprehension how badly they f***ed this up. This was the easiest win in the history of wins and they managed to make it into a gigantic L that's insulting to the fans and to Sean and his family. Announce it a year in advance, run tribute videos on social media, find interesting ways to incorporate "ST" and "21" into your press releases or marketing campaigns until then, invite every alumni, announce meaningful giveaways for fans that attend, etc. Give it the proper attention and respect it deserves and don't announce it like you forgot about and then remembered your homework is due tomorrow. What a chance they had to galvanize the fanbase around something again.

On the same day they give three days notice for the jersey retirement of arguably the most beloved player in franchise history and certainly this generation's most beloved player they announce a f***ing Coldplay concert for NEXT YEAR. It's legitimately shocking how awful this franchise is. I mean our expectations were already low but holy shit.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Now that I think about it, it's probably less to distract from the email thing and more to try and boost shitty attendance.

Which is not any better.

This could be it, but then why this very Sunday to do it? Just 4 days away from announcing it?

Every home game is going to have shitty attendance anyways lol. At least plan it out so that people can prepare to go and have a huge sellout.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I’m starting to sour on Jason Wright. Wtf has he even done. You’re really going to announce the number retirement of ST 4 days in advance? What a total clown show, it’s every day with this damn team. Don’t even get me started on the wondering and drawn out nature of the name change. They really managed to f*** up one thing that could potentially bring fans of the last decade+ together. f*** this stupid team

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I’m actually pretty pissed about this, they could have done this many times over the years but pick now with 4 days notice during all the allegations and investigations and whatever the f*** else you can think of

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I’m starting to sour on Jason Wright. Wtf has he even done. You’re really going to announce the number retirement of ST 4 days in advance? What a total clown show, it’s every day with this damn team. Don’t even get me started on the wondering and drawn out nature of the name change. They really managed to f*** up one thing that could potentially bring fans of the last decade+ together. f*** this stupid team

Like how does this idea even get the green light? Did no one stop and say "uhhh... maybe 4 days in advance notification might not sit well with the fans."

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Like how does this idea even get the green light? Did no one stop and say "uhhh... maybe 4 days in advance notification might not sit well with the fans."

Just to play devil’s advocate how many days should have been required for this announcement in your opinion?

Reactions: tenken00

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Just to play devil’s advocate how many days should have been required for this announcement in your opinion?
I'd say this is something that should be announced at the beginning of a season with a date picked out way in advanced. Leaves the potential for out of town fans of the team and ST in particular time to plan accordingly and be able to attend. Not just a ... Oh hey by the way we'll retire a number this weekend the week of

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'd say this is something that should be announced at the beginning of a season with a date picked out way in advanced. Leaves the potential for out of town fans of the team and ST in particular time to plan accordingly and be able to attend. Not just a ... Oh hey by the way we'll retire a number this weekend the week of

So you feel a significant number of people who would have attended if given that amount of notice will now not be able to attend because they didn’t get enough notice?

I’ll buy that but I honestly don’t think we are talking about too many people but I don’t actually have any idea.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gotta wonder how long Dan Snyder has held onto the ST21 retirement ceremony as a deflection tactic in his back pocket. I love how it falls somewhere between "announce the franchise will be changing its name" and "announce the actual new name of the franchise" on his personal distract the media playbook.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So everyone in the DC area outraged about this late announcement, are you going to go to the game now? I mean we know tickets are available.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So you feel a significant number of people who would have attended if given that amount of notice will now not be able to attend because they didn’t get enough notice?

I’ll buy that but I honestly don’t think we are talking about too many people but I don’t actually have any idea.

I am not sure either, but i do know that Sean Taylor is probably one of the only former players that people will circle the date and clear the schedule for (if given enough time).

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So everyone in the DC area outraged about this late announcement, are you going to go to the game now? I mean we know tickets are available.

No. Because this tactic is obviously not about honoring Sean Taylor. It's about using him.

It's laughingly blatant.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think a lot of people are taking umbrage not just against the rushed announcement for attendance planning purposes, but rather the blatant usage of Sean Taylor's memory as a way to distract from the scandal encircling the team's ownership right now. His jersey retirement shouldn't be just some random PR stunt 14 years later. It should have more meaning than that. An announcement well ahead of time would show that the retirement ceremony was genuine and pre-planned, and not some hatchet job attempt to spin positive media coverage and fan sympathy.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky

Probably not a huge amount but its just botched all the way around either way you look at it. They can say all they want that "they've been wanting to" but the fact remains it's 100% to try and get some people to look the other way and take some of the heat off with everything else swirling around the team. It's disrespectful to a former player still around it's a whole new level of low in my opinion when it's ST. If I was a family member I'd be raising all kinds of shit over it honestly but maybe that's just me. To me it comes off overly sleazy

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
No. Because this tactic is obviously not about honoring Sean Taylor. It's about using him.

It's laughingly blatant.

So you are not going to the jersey retirement ceremony of a beloved player that you would have attended if given proper notice purely out of spite?

Ok but if this player truly meant that much to you I think you will regret this decision in the future.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
So you are not going to the jersey retirement ceremony of a beloved player that you would have attended if given proper notice purely out of spite?

Ok but if this player truly meant that much to you I think you will regret this decision in the future.

I've sworn off years ago to never directly give any capital to the Redskins/WFT as long as Snyder is the owner.

I've only been in person to a Washington game once in the past 5 years. And that was in Miami.

I was a diehard fan. Diehard. I love ST, but even my memory of him doesn't even come close to the disgust I have with Snyder and the organization.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nope. I have a family with young kids and weekends are really important since my wife and I both work demanding jobs and the kids are in school / daycare and then aftercare and then their activities during the week. We plan to do stuff together on the weekends and already have plans for Sunday. Going to FedEx for a Sunday is like an 8-hour affair, minimum, due to location, traffic, etc and it's tough to do that at this stage in my life especially with little notice.

Also two other points to your questions.

(1) I do think a lot of people who would go can't go given the timing of the announcement. I know a decent amount of people who plan to come into town for one game a year and usually they pick a division rival game to do it. Had they known this was the ST21 game they definitely would have chosen this game. Those plans are already set in stone or they've already been to their one game this year. Also, when I had season tickets by Thursday I'd normally already sold them if I knew I couldn't go so I bet there are a bunch of STH who would have kept their tickets if they knew about this game.

(2) What @Hivemind said. The way they handled this is making people want to say f*** you to Snyder and not give him any money. They announced a concert for next summer the same day as announcing ST's jersey retirement. They announced Bobby Mitchell's ceremony for this fall on June 20 of this year. What possible reason or justification is there for announcing ST's memorial on just a few day's notice when you give a concert a year's notice and other famous alumni four months notice? And if they f***ed up the announcement this bad, why should we have any confidence that they'll give him a proper ceremony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad