OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 1: New Year, New GM, New Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I remember that, I was a kid and I was even like bruh wtf

I remember people were pretty mad but then forgot about it when Snyder made the big splashy news that he just signed Steve Spurrier to become the new coach. That was huge news back then.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Either changed or was never real:

upload_2021-2-9_11-36-48.png

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Either changed or was never real:

View attachment 394418

Yeah reading that twitter post up above, they first changed the title, but forgot to change the URL address which still showed the old title. When people were posting pics of that up, they finally changed the URL too.

Still, what a bad look. The guy just died and it's an obit. Should never have made it past editing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah reading that twitter post up above, they first changed the title, but forgot to change the URL address which still showed the old title. When people were posting pics of that up, they finally changed the URL too.

Still, what a bad look. The guy just died and it's an obit. Should never have made it past editing.

Doesn't seem like something WaPo would normally let past editors. Probably a gag headline by some staffer that slipped through to a live link.

Publishing it on Twitter only spread it.

Reactions: tenken00

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Wasn’t Snyder’s rationale that he wasn’t having any fun?
Not sure, like tenken said it was weird because we won like the last 9 of 10 games or something and just barely missed the playoffs. Then Spurrier got hired and we all know how that went, I remember it was the biggest coaching deal at the time. But anyways I remember watching an ESPN segment in the last year or so about Marty S. really struggling with Alzheimer’s, RIP.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Wasn’t Snyder’s rationale that he wasn’t having any fun?

I don't remember. But this is the guy who was leaving melting hot pails of vanilla ice cream on a coach's desks to tell them that he thinks their schemes are vanilla, so I would definitely believe it.

Edit: And he did bring in Mr. "Fun-n-Gun" himself Steve Spurrier right after.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't remember. But this is the guy who was leaving melting hot pails of vanilla ice cream on a coach's desks to tell them that he thinks their schemes are vanilla, so I would definitely believe it.

Edit: And he did bring in Mr. "Fun-n-Gun" himself Steve Spurrier right after.

Supposedly it was control over personnel that formed the wedge

ESPN.com: NFL - Redskins fire Schottenheimer, land Spurrier

upload_2021-2-9_12-14-32.png

Which was the start of Meddling Dan, iirc.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
NFL stars now are like NBA players, demanding trades and using tons of leverage. Not sure how I feel about it

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Is this the start of Vinny Cerrato's rise to fame?

In a manner of speaking, yes, it was. Was the start of Vinny being untouchable.

Marty’s first order of business after being hired was firing Vinny. Danny’s first order of business after firing Marty was to rehire Vinny.

the rest is sad history.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Supposedly it was control over personnel that formed the wedge

ESPN.com: NFL - Redskins fire Schottenheimer, land Spurrier

View attachment 394425

Which was the start of Meddling Dan, iirc.
Danny and his minority owners “weren’t having fun”, that’s why they fired Marty. Also, Vets like Darrel Green and Bruce Smith weren’t having fun under Marty’s practice regiment either.

And Danny was meddling before Marty. It was Danny that signed Jeff George in 2000 to a 4 year 14 mil contract to be a “back up” after Brad Johnson took the team to the playoffs and made the pro bowl. He also provided retirement funds for Mark Carrier, Neon Deion and Bruce Smith.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Not really. Didn't Jeff George precede that? The meddling with Brad Johnson?

Danny and his minority owners “weren’t having fun”, that’s why they fired Marty. Also, Vets like Darrel Green and Bruce Smith weren’t having fun under Marty’s practice regiment either.

And Danny was meddling before Marty. It was Danny that signed Jeff George in 2000 to a 4 year 14 mil contract to be a “back up” after Brad Johnson took the team to the playoffs and made the pro bowl. He also provided retirement funds for Mark Carrier, Neon Deion and Bruce Smith.

Yeah I remember that. Brad Johnson took the Skins to the playoffs in 1999, then got replaced by Jeff George the next year in 2000. Brad Johnson then went to Tampa and won a Super Bowl with the Bucs just 2 years later.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Damn. I know one of Andy Reid's sons died from overdose during training camp while he was still with the Eagles, but I had no idea that his other son was involved in a DUI accident that has left a 5 year old girl with life threatening injuries and now in a coma just days before the Superbowl this year. That must have been a lot on Andy Reid's mind.

Britt Reid, Son of Chiefs Coach, Drank Alcohol Ahead of Car Crash

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah forgot about Jeff George. Or maybe I repressed the memory.

Either way both sides had their stories about why Marty was canned. The truth probably has something to do with lizard people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad