OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 1: New Year, New GM, New Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I did not watch the game -- wth happened? The Chiefs lose a ton of turnovers? Did their depleted offensive line just collapse?

This result is shocking to me.

TBs defense shut down the KC receivers and the D line beat Mahomes up. And KC has had a lot of penalties.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I did not watch the game -- wth happened? The Chiefs lose a ton of turnovers? Did their depleted offensive line just collapse?

This result is shocking to me.

Chiefs took a ton of defensive penalties and TB's D-Line dominated the Chiefs O-Line. Mahomes couldn't get anything going until garbage time, even though he didn't play poorly himself. Just nothing else in the Chiefs offense worked.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Outcome aside, that was one of the worst SB's I've ever seen and I don't think I've missed one since the 70s. Can you think of any amazing plays? Not really. A lot of terrible mistakes by the Chiefs mostly, and a pass-rush by TB that made the KC o-line look like a bunch of matadors.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The GEICO Tag Team commercial is the best commercial tonight and it’s been out a month at least.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Outcome aside, that was one of the worst SB's I've ever seen and I don't think I've missed one since the 70s. Can you think of any amazing plays? Not really. A lot of terrible mistakes by the Chiefs mostly, and a pass-rush by TB that made the KC o-line look like a bunch of matadors.
Brady to Gronk was good but it happened in the 1st half. The Bears/Colts SB in the rain was pretty bad.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brady to Gronk was good but it happened in the 1st half. The Bears/Colts SB in the rain was pretty bad.

Yeah but those were what, a screen or route to the flat, and a post route from 10-15yds out...both essentially wide open with good protection. Not exactly historic plays.

edit: and by historic I mean super bowl quality highlight reel stuff, not stats. I know there was some stat significance there

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
And Brady showed that you don't need a big arm to win. You need to be smart and you need to be able to read defenses. You do that, you know what type of offense to utilize. Brady didn't need to go big today. The man is surgeon and it's impressive to watch him perform in big games. If I'm a coach, that's who I'm telling my quarterbacks to prepare and study like. My God, the man is the smartest player I've ever seen on the field in big game situations.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pretty sure that "historic plays" are irrelevant to the winners...

So what? Has nothing to do with entertainment or quality. Guarantee tv and ad execs, and analysts being honest, will say the same. Bad SB by comparison.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, but no team playing cares about entertainment value of the game. They want the ring. It's like you've never seen a Super Bowl before 2015. Blowouts and lousy games were the norm...

This is a discussion about the game quality and fan interest.

You must've skipped the part of my comment about not missing a SB since the 70s. There have been blowouts and mediocre games that at least had some entertainment value and some good plays. As I said, this game was mostly average play combined with the Chefs totally shooting themselves in the foot. The Tampa defense was the lone bright spot and after Hog's post I'm not sure how much of that was due to Chefs ineptitude and/or banged up O-line.

Super Bowl Record: Most Penalty Yards Against a Team in Super Bowl History

KC set the SB record for penalty yards in a half when they blew the game in the 1st. Their penalty rate slowed a little in the 2nd half but they still ended up 3rd worst all-time, with only two worse performances going back to....the 70s (2nd worst was SB IX in 1974...almost 50 years ago). They missed 2nd worst all-time by two yards, and worst all time by 13 yards (one more unsportsmanlike would've done it).

So yeah, one of the crappiest SBs ever in terms of quality of play that I've seen, and probably you've seen. I doubt you're old enough to remember SB IX or SB V.

Last edited:

Eirikrautha

This is a discussion about the game quality and fan interest.

You must've skipped the part of my comment about not missing a SB since the 70s. There have been blowouts and mediocre games that at least had some entertainment value and some good plays. As I said, this game was mostly average play combined with the Chefs totally shooting themselves in the foot. The Tampa defense was the lone bright spot and after Hog's post I'm not sure how much of that was due to Chefs ineptitude and/or banged up O-line.

Super Bowl Record: Most Penalty Yards Against a Team in Super Bowl History

KC set the SB record for penalty yards in a half when they blew the game in the 1st. Their penalty rate slowed a little in the 2nd half but they still ended up 3rd worst all-time, with only two worse performances going back to....the 70s (2nd worst was SB IX in 1974...almost 50 years ago). They missed 2nd worst all-time by two yards, and worst all time by 13 yards (one more unsportsmanlike would've done it).

So yeah, one of the crappiest SBs ever in terms of quality of play that I've seen, and probably you've seen. I doubt you're old enough to remember SB IX or SB V.
No, YOU were discussing fan-interest. That doesn't make the whole discussion about that.

I saw Super Bowl IX, but I was too young to remember it. However, if you couldn't appreciate Leonard Fournette running through people, along with the record set for TD pass combination, then I think you have a bit more in common with the "ADHD" younger generations than you might think...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, YOU were discussing fan-interest. That doesn't make the whole discussion about that.

I saw Super Bowl IX, but I was too young to remember it. However, if you couldn't appreciate Leonard Fournette running through people, along with the record set for TD pass combination, then I think you have a bit more in common with the "ADHD" younger generations than you might think...

Yes I was discussing fan interest and general quality. So your comments are meaningless.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The fact that YOU can't see meaning in them doesn't make them meaningless. You sure have a hard time with third-person perspective...

In the context of what I was talking about they're meaningless because it's not the topic. So if you want to have a conversation with yourself about how much the game means to you and the players you like, go for it. Don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad