OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 14: NFC LEast Homestretch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Giants have a tough remaining schedule anyways.

At Seattle
Arizona
Cleveland
At Baltimore
Dallas

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've thought for sure that the two wasted opportunities against the Giants would be their undoing (assuming the goal is to win the division) but man, how the hell did they lose to the Lions?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This is how I see things shaking out. WFT beating SF (or PIT lol) would be huge for their chances of winning, but if not they could still win their last two games and win the division with a 6-10 record.

WFT
at PIT LOSS
at SF LOSS
SEA LOSS
CAR WIN
at PHI WIN

NYG
at SEA LOSS
ARI LOSS
CLE LOSS
at BAL LOSS
DAL WIN

PHI
SEA LOSS
at GB LOSS
NO LOSS
at ARI LOSS
at DAL WIN
WSH LOSS

DAL
at BAL LOSS
at CIN WIN
SF WIN
PHI LOSS
at NYG LOSS

WFT: 6-10
NYG: 5-11
PHI: 4-11-1
DAL: 5-11

NYG has a chance against both ARI and CLE, but I don't see them beating SEA or BAL.

I don't see the Eagles winning any of their next 4 games, even with Brees hurt I still think the Saints win that game. But even if they pick up that game they would still need to beat WFT to win the division.

Dallas has the easiest remaining schedule but they are also the worst team in the division. Even so if they tie with WFT they lose the tiebreaker.

Weird to say but I really do think WFT has the best chance of winning the division.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Predicting the W/L within the division is the hardest part. All four teams are too closely matched.

But I don't know that DAL beat SF. Hell they could even lose to CIN, though they shouldn't.

Good chance it all comes down to WK17 as expected.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Are we really trying to get excited about a 6-10 division title? Bruce Allen approves of this mindset.
I think we are just discussing the reality of the situation. Us getting excited or angry about them winning the division has no impact on the outcome of the games and by rule somebody has to win this division and host a playoff game and with two wins in five days, Washington is at the top... especially if Jones is out for any period of time. No use in getting upset over facts.

Just to play devil's advocate to your point, I think winning is doing them some good. They are playing better football recently -- even if it's' against bad teams -- and it's fun to watch the young guys come into their own. They have some really good young players that look like they're buying what the coaching staff is selling and they are not that far off from being a respectable team; I think you could argue they have the brightest future ahead of them in the division (assuming they find a QB).

Would really be nice if Haskins was good and we didn't have to worry about the QB position (again) but that doesn't look likely at this point unfortunately.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I've thought for sure that the two wasted opportunities against the Giants would be their undoing (assuming the goal is to win the division) but man, how the hell did they lose to the Lions?
Same way the lost 2x to the Giants. Didn’t show up until halftime.

those 3 games — any one of them gets closed out after their comebacks, and the team would be honestly eyeing .500. Those are the types of games good teams win. Ergo Washington isn’t a good team (yet).

Which we all knew, I suppose.

that said, we are definitely getting closer. I think the momentum towards trending upwards is the best we’ve seen since Alex got ruined over 2yrs ago.

so crazy that Alex is also a big reason the trending is upwards again.

If they can win the division, and host a playoff game, they actually stand a shot of competing in that game. Rams aren’t any great shakes. Neither are the Cardinals or the Vikings/Niners/Bears.

only teams that the Skins would have zero shot against (IMO) are the Saints, Packers, Seahawks, and Buccaneers. Though I will say the one thing Brady really struggles against is a good pass rush, so you never know there. But that’s like a 10% chance thing.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Are we really trying to get excited about a 6-10 division title? Bruce Allen approves of this mindset.

I think it all depends on how we look against the Steelers. Or another above average team.

Are we really building something here? Or is it just another mirage after another beatdown on Dallas?

I'm ok with losing the draft spots with a crappy division win only if it means something for the future - team culture, attitude, narrative changes, getting a foundation laid out. Otherwise I'll rather take the picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don’t think you get it, bud. At all.

Oh I get it. Die hard fans grasping at straws at the expense of the long term betterment of the team. This entire year was to build up the young kids and start building a foundation with a new coach. We are doing that in some areas. Recognizing Haskins isn't the guy, Sweat/Young coming into their own, Terry becoming a #1, Thomas actually doing ok, Alex proving he can be a stop gap to develop another QB, ect... These are good things and I'm glad to see them.

At no time was this year about the playoff. Why do we want to give up 70ish spots for the draft to host a wild card game when we are 6-10? That doesn't help anyone. So what if the rest of the division sucks, that doesn't make us a better team. We need to keep our eyes on the real prize, not some fools gold joke of a title.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think we are just discussing the reality of the situation. Us getting excited or angry about them winning the division has no impact on the outcome of the games and by rule somebody has to win this division and host a playoff game and with two wins in five days, Washington is at the top... especially if Jones is out for any period of time. No use in getting upset over facts.

Just to play devil's advocate to your point, I think winning is doing them some good. They are playing better football recently -- even if it's' against bad teams -- and it's fun to watch the young guys come into their own. They have some really good young players that look like they're buying what the coaching staff is selling and they are not that far off from being a respectable team; I think you could argue they have the brightest future ahead of them in the division (assuming they find a QB).

Would really be nice if Haskins was good and we didn't have to worry about the QB position (again) but that doesn't look likely at this point unfortunately.
Yes. Exactly this. This is “getting it”

teams need to grow in steps. They can’t go 3-13 (or whatever) and then think to go 10-6 next year. It simply doesn’t happen that way. Usually (almost always) you see teams make 4-5 win improvements. So 6-10 can catapult them to 10 or 11 wins next year. Which is what everyone wants.

so let them win, they need to learn to do it as a group, and it will make them a much more likely destination for any top FA’s. Players wants to win. So as a “Division Winner” they would be much more attractive as a destination this spring, vs a 3-13 bottom dweller.

people that cannot see that — just won’t be on the same page as those of us that do see it.

it is what it is

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Oh I get it. Die hard fans grasping at straws at the expense of the long term betterment of the team. This entire year was to build up the young kids and start building a foundation with a new coach. We are doing that in some areas. Recognizing Haskins isn't the guy, Sweat/Young coming into their own, Terry becoming a #1, Thomas actually doing ok, Alex proving he can be a stop gap to develop another QB, ect... These are good things and I'm glad to see them.

At no time was this year about the playoff. Why do we want to give up 70ish spots for the draft to host a wild card game when we are 6-10? That doesn't help anyone. So what if the rest of the division sucks, that doesn't make us a better team. We need to keep our eyes on the real prize, not some fools gold joke of a title.
No. You don’t build a foundation by losing. Nowhere is that a recipe for long term success. They blew the Haskins pick. Shocker. But that is in the past. Young guys learning to win together is far more important and where you pick in rounds 3 thru 7. Sure, it will hurt in the first round, and then less so in the 2nd. After that? It’s a crap shoot.

we will want to resign all these young guys (Allen, Payne, Sweat, Young, McLaurin, etc etc). Winning will make that far easier.

certainly more than some myopic need to finish as close to last as possible for a few draft slots.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
No. You don’t build a foundation by losing. Nowhere is that a recipe for long term success. They blew the Haskins pick. Shocker. But that is in the past. Young guys learning to win together is far more important and where you pick in rounds 3 thru 7. Sure, it will hurt in the first round, and then less so in the 2nd. After that? It’s a crap shoot.

we will want to resign all these young guys (Allen, Payne, Sweat, Young, McLaurin, etc etc). Winning will make that far easier.

certainly more than some myopic need to finish as close to last as possible for a few draft slots.

I'm not asking the players to lose. I'm glad they are playing to win, and I'm glad they have weathered some adversity and seem to be responding to RR. If we win the division we win the division, I'm not asking players to tank. But the win over Dallas seems to have distorted peoples views (listening to the radio/reading posts). This isn't suddenly a contender who started slow. We played possibly the weakest 6 game stretch in the NFL and went 3-3. Focus on development and stop worrying about a meaningless title. I care more about finding some LBs than getting to 6-10 and a wild card game. You build a foundation with good drafting and player development. Going 6-10 or 4-12 will not change how well the team plays next year, or 3 years from now.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not asking the players to lose. I'm glad they are playing to win, and I'm glad they have weathered some adversity and seem to be responding to RR. If we win the division we win the division, I'm not asking players to tank. But the win over Dallas seems to have distorted peoples views (listening to the radio/reading posts). This isn't suddenly a contender who started slow. We played possibly the weakest 6 game stretch in the NFL and went 3-3. Focus on development and stop worrying about a meaningless title. I care more about finding some LBs than getting to 6-10 and a wild card game. You build a foundation with good drafting and player development. Going 6-10 or 4-12 will not change how well the team plays next year, or 3 years from now.
I live in CA, so I don’t hear the DC radio....cannot comment to that. Far as the posts here, I believe we all feel similar to what Ron has been saying. It’s fun to see them banding together, seemingly improving by the week, and now winning some games. That’s all good for “the foundation” as you put it.

but there is a LOT more that needs to be done. Ron stated it, and it’s obvious. However, as I’ve mentioned now a few times, steps need to be taken to get there. I’d like them to be truly competitive next year. 3-13 would prevent that. Almost completely. 6-10 does not.

do you not see that?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

After the first win vs Dallas I thought people were high on fumes as we'd beaten a very bad team. That's probably still true so there's no "excitement" other than hoping for good things to start happening, and enjoying beating an old rival. If there's outrageous optimism on the radio...well, that's what they do.

I don't think hope lives and dies on whether or not this team makes the playoffs with 5 or 6 wins or whatever. It's never going to be about one draft pick. Progress as the year goes on, and benchmark achievements that can be built upon, are what you want when rebuilding a losing culture. Kicking Dallas in the nards twice in the same year ticks off a few boxes there.

I'm not sure getting blown out in a playoff game would be a good thing, however, but it's a chance you probably have to take at this point. If they were sitting at 1-2 wins maybe you still look at it as a tank season. But now you have to keep working for everyone to improve and have a job next year.

We all know the LBs suck and imo if you want to accelerate this team's progress you go out and sign some top LBs around the league. Being a decent team on the upswing helps that, not sucking for a top 3 pick.

If he's healthy then Smith is probably the QB next year so if we do take a QB it's likely the new backup. imo

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I live in CA, so I don’t hear the DC radio....cannot comment to that. Far as the posts here, I believe we all feel similar to what Ron has been saying. It’s fun to see them banding together, seemingly improving by the week, and now winning some games. That’s all good for “the foundation” as you put it.

but there is a LOT more that needs to be done. Ron stated it, and it’s obvious. However, as I’ve mentioned now a few times, steps need to be taken to get there. I’d like them to be truly competitive next year. 3-13 would prevent that. Almost completely. 6-10 does not.

do you not see that?

I agree with everything you said until the last two lines. I don't see how 3-13 prevents anything for next year where 6-10 does not. As long as they are developing and becoming better as a group, that helps for next year. As long as we are recognizing who will and will not work at certain positions, that helps for next year. As long as our coaches are figuring out how to best employ the talent we have, that helps for next year. Winning a nothing burger division title because everyone sucked does nothing to help this team. I would hope every one of those players recognizes that a 6-10 title does not make them a winner. They will have proven nothing, and are still rebuilding.

For 20+ years this franchise has fed me worthless achievements and false promises. I'm not buying it any more. You want me to sing your praises? legitimately be good and prove it on the field over time. I'm not getting excited because we fell ass backwards into a division title at 6-10. I want development into a long term contending team, where we don't get excited because we went 8-8 and almost had a wild card game. I've had enough of that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with everything you said until the last two lines. I don't see how 3-13 prevents anything for next year where 6-10 does not. As long as they are developing and becoming better as a group, that helps for next year. As long as we are recognizing who will and will not work at certain positions, that helps for next year. As long as our coaches are figuring out how to best employ the talent we have, that helps for next year. Winning a nothing burger division title because everyone sucked does nothing to help this team. I would hope every one of those players recognizes that a 6-10 title does not make them a winner. They will have proven nothing, and are still rebuilding.

For 20+ years this franchise has fed me worthless achievements and false promises. I'm not buying it any more. You want me to sing your praises? legitimately be good and prove it on the field over time. I'm not getting excited because we fell ass backwards into a division title at 6-10. I want development into a long term contending team, where we don't get excited because we went 8-8 and almost had a wild card game. I've had enough of that.
There are only 6x in modern NFL history (that I could find, since 1970 — so 50 years) where a team won 3 or less games the previous season, and then went on to win 10+ games and go to the playoffs the next season. So they need to take that next step this season.

it would be ironic if they became the 7th team to win 3 games and then turnaround and make the playoffs this year. However it wouldn’t be 10 wins as well.

so yea, 6-10 is far different than 3-13, as far as setting them up for next season.

they could even win 7 games this year, but I doubt it. 6-10 seems the logical conclusion. Might not win the division and that would be fine.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So one other thing we should note... this was a very not normal offseason. Here are the teams who hired new head coaches prior to this season and where they currently stand.
  • Carolina Panthers: 4-8. New veteran QB, OC, and DC.
  • Cleveland Browns: 8-3. Much of the same roster that had underperformed prior to this season.
  • Dallas Cowboys: 3-8. Same QB until he got hurt and returned Kellen Moore as OC.
  • New York Giants: 4-7. Same QB, new staff.
  • WFT: 4-7. Young QB and new HC, OC, and DC.
  • Teams that have fired HCs this year: Houston, Detroit, and Atlanta (all had returning QBs and staffs)
Yes, they have played worse teams recently but let's not discount the fact that this team started way behind the 8-ball this offseason which likely contributed to the slow start. They had a brand new coaching staff and a young QB playing for his 3rd head coach in just a handful of games who never got live reps until training camp due to Covid. I'd argue no other team faced a more difficult hill to climb getting past the Covid offseason than did Washington. Carolina faced similar circumstances but had a QB in Bridgewater who was entering his 7th season and 4th as a starter (would be more if not for the terrible injury he suffered).

Not sure what the various weights of the factors would be but them playing better recently is probably the result of the players settling into the new systems and the coaches better understanding the players they currently just as is the quality (or lack thereof) of the opponents they've played recently. No one they played until the Cowboys the first time had played a QB who wasn't the starter last year and I don't think that continuity should be discounted or forgotten.

In that light, sure it would be good for the tank if they weren't improving and still losing, but wouldn't it be more concerning if that was the case? Wouldn't that be very Gruden-esque if they looked more and more disinterested and flat as the season wore on? This team lacks talent in key areas but they're fighting and improving and they kind of remind me of the Dolphins last year who won 5 games when experts thought they may win none and are now 7-4 this season looking very much like a playoff contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad