OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 13: 5th String QB Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s a good thing he is under contract until 2022.

well I mean the general consensus was they would be done with him as soon as they could financially....now we’re back to a rebuilt guy reclaimed from his death bed to QB us next year.

Only the WFT....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I hear you but I’d take the odds of that approach being successful over hoping a quarterback messiah is going to more or less single handedly fix things any day.

And why does building a top notch offensive line need to take 5 years? Between devoting some early round picks and free agent money to those positions that should be able to be done in a much shorter time. Especially if you think they might have a guy or two already on the roster.

The Redskins had an identity on that side of the ball back when they were great and it wasn’t centered on a future hall of fame quarterback.

A top offensive line makes every other position on offense a decent amount better. A poor one makes them all a decent amount worse.

But sure, let’s draft another QB in the first round and hope this time is different. What could possibly go wrong...?

how long have they been at it? Suddenly they’re going to magically get better at drafting?

you have a lot more faith than I do that they can suddenly say “let’s build it” and actually be successful at it anytime soon.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
how long have they been at it? Suddenly they’re going to magically get better at drafting?

you have a lot more faith than I do that they can suddenly say “let’s build it” and actually be successful at it anytime soon.

You believe building a top offensive line has been a priority or focus for the organization over the last few years?

Defensive line? Absolutely but I’m not seeing much draft or free agent capital spent on the offensive line for a while now. Sheriff was drafted in ‘15 and Williams in ‘10. I can’t recall any 2nd rounders spent in that area or significant free agent money spent there but I could be wrong.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
DET/HOU game supposed to be free via Verizon webpage streaming. Nope. And if you try to view CBS you get funneled through their pay option.

Luckily you can verify via NFL.com if you have the right cable/fios.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You believe building a top offensive line has been a priority or focus for the organization over the last few years?

Defensive line? Absolutely but I’m not seeing much draft or free agent capital spent on the offensive line for a while now. Sheriff was drafted in ‘15 and Williams in ‘10. I can’t recall any 2nd rounders spent in that area or significant free agent money spent there but I could be wrong.

what are you suggesting, they’re suddenly going to focus on the O-line almost exclusively in the draft? BPA and other positions be damned? Still will take time IMO even if they were better at drafting.

so yeah, I think they have no focus ....

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
what are you suggesting, they’re suddenly going to focus on the O-line almost exclusively in the draft? BPA and other positions be damned? Still will take time IMO even if they were better at drafting.

so yeah, I think they have no focus ....

NFL drafting, especially in the early rounds, is in no way like the NHL draft so I’m not really understanding your BPA argument.

They haven’t spent in any way significant resources on the offensive line overall in a while IMO. I would like them to spend more draft and free agent capital in that area instead of ‘skill’ positions, including QB.

If you disagree and are happy with whatever level of attention you feel they have applied to the offensive line then I’m happy to agree to disagree.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
NFL drafting, especially in the early rounds, is in no way like the NHL draft so I’m not really understanding your BPA argument.

They haven’t spent in any way significant resources on the offensive line overall in a while IMO. I would like them to spend more draft and free agent capital in that area instead of ‘skill’ positions, including QB.

If you disagree and are happy with whatever level of attention you feel they have applied to the offensive line then I’m happy to agree to disagree.

I’m saying the suggested strategy of throwing all or the majority of draft/free agent resources at the O-line to improve them quickly (at the loss of probably some BPAs in the process) isn’t a likely strategy for them to adopt IMO.

so I stand by my 5 years to build a really good O-line statement, because look at recent history of this team and their draft work.

yes it would be nice for them to invest a more at the draft.....no doubt, but let’s not get into you creating falsehoods about me being “happy” about their O-line strategy to date. I’m just telling you how it is with the WFT.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The O-line has actually been fine this year so far. Sherff and Moses have been good. Same with Schweitzer

just for discussion.....12 sacks (of Smith) in 4 games is good?

I’d have them in the average category at best lol....

29th in sacks allowed per game.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
4EEE056D-5798-4B12-90A8-DE74FAE43E2F.jpeg
378FD49E-1AC1-4CC9-8222-B602AC6197CC.jpeg
31955754-4ECC-411A-B3B5-4D745B9A0218.jpeg
I’m not the biggest PFF fan but I don’t think O line is our worst position group, it doesn’t help that Smith is not mobile at all. Linebackers is our worst group, another words if we don’t spend a first or second round pick on the Oline I don’t think it’s the end of the world, money can be spent in FA

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The O-line has actually been fine this year so far. Sherff and Moses have been good. Same with Schweitzer

I’m not looking for ’fine’ or not their biggest problem. I’m looking for it to be a top unit and the strength of the offense. I want the offensive identity to focused on the line.

Early round skill position picks have been more or less a disaster for this team for a while. Flip the script and focus on the line. And then don’t be surprised when all your other offensive players start looking a decent amount better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad