OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 13: 5th String QB Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Screw that. Build an offensive line that good but not great QB’s can thrive behind and go from there. If there is any organization that should understand that approach it should be the one formerly known as the Redskins...

Yeah. A million Yeahs.

Look at Burrow. Look at the sheer number of QBs we've injured in the last few years. It's a terrible use of a pick to spend high on a QB only to break them inside of a year. Build an environment where they can survive and thrive.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So with the Sewell dreams fading away, it seems like Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech is rising on the draft boards? Any VTech watchers can confirm?

Yes, Darrisaw is an animal. We want him.

I also want to sign Hooker after the draft next year and tell him he is going to be TE. The dude is wasting his time at QB.

Tre Turner has been woefully underused this year but we should want him as well, but I don't think I'd take him above the 4th round. And Deablo on defense; very very smart player who is essentially the D's QB, the whole unit is a mess without him telling them where to be. That brain is good.

That's the end of that list.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yes, Darrisaw is an animal. We want him.

I also want to sign Hooker after the draft next year and tell him he is going to be TE. The dude is wasting his time at QB.

Tre Turner has been woefully underused this year but we should want him as well, but I don't think I'd take him above the 4th round. And Deablo on defense; very very smart player who is essentially the D's QB, the whole unit is a mess without him telling them where to be. That brain is good.

That's the end of that list.

Darrisaw is becoming a hot name with his play so far this year. Seems like some have him as a top 15 pick and rising and becoming viewed as the 2nd top OT after Sewell - which is perfect for where we are at even if we try to go for more wins - as long as we don't win the division lol.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
You need a franchise QB to win is all I’m saying. I’m def taking Sewell over anyone else if he’s available.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lawrence
Wilson
Top OT’s
Top CB’s
Top LB’s
Top TE’s

in that exact order.

who says we have holes in the lineup????
Why CB? I think CB has been fine. Fuller has been great and Darby has been solid as CB2. Curl looks good and DB is pretty strong but I'd certainly take a true FS. ILB is the biggest need on defense by far, in my opinion, followed by FS.

Also not sure they should prioritize a TE over a WR. Cam Sims and Iasiah Wright have been nice stories and hopefully they continue to develop and McLaurin is a star but after that...? Steven Sims Jr has been a JAG, Gandy-Golden is really raw, Harmon is coming off of knee surgery, Inman doesn't have any future here. Logan Thomas has shown why they are high on him. Another TE would be nice but not a must-have, I don't think.

QB
OT
ILB
S
WR
TE

Reactions: max21

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Never pass on a QB again until you’ve got one. That doesn’t mean you have to throw him to the wolves like the Bengals have done w Burrow. If the line can’t protect, the kid waits...

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hard to believe this game -- nay, this season -- ever happened. Easily the most fun I've had in 30 years as 'Skins/WFT fan and it ended 10-6 with a home loss in the Wild Card round with our out-of-this-world rookie crumpled on the dogshit sod that Snyder called "grass" at FedEx with a torn ACL. What's that say about our existence as fans? f***ing yikes.

Any who, there is an alternate universe somewhere where RGIII never hurt his knee so he never went into the next season defiant about using his legs which in turn helped him develop more as a QB and he's still Washington's QB today with Trent Williams still anchoring the line at LT. There was no lame slogan like "All in for Week One" and all we focused on that offseason was surrounding RGIII with more talent and building a better defense. Kyle Shanahan ended up taking over for his dad after his dad coached us to a Super Bowl and we are laughing at the other dogshit teams in our division as we look forward to beating Dallas for the 7th straight time this Thanksgiving en route to our 4th straight division title. And now I need a stiff drink.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Hard to believe this game -- nay, this season -- ever happened. Easily the most fun I've had in 30 years as 'Skins/WFT fan and it ended 10-6 with a home loss in the Wild Card round with our out-of-this-world rookie crumpled on the dogshit sod that Snyder called "grass" at FedEx with a torn ACL. What's that say about our existence as fans? f***ing yikes.

Any who, there is an alternate universe somewhere where RGIII never hurt his knee so he never went into the next season defiant about using his legs which in turn helped him develop more as a QB and he's still Washington's QB today with Trent Williams still anchoring the line at LT. There was no lame slogan like "All in for Week One" and all we focused on that offseason was surrounding RGIII with more talent and building a better defense. Kyle Shanahan ended up taking over for his dad after his dad coached us to a Super Bowl and we are laughing at the other dogshit teams in our division as we look forward to beating Dallas for the 7th straight time this Thanksgiving en route to our 4th straight division title. And now I need a stiff drink.

First time I’ve been excited about being kinda old in a while...yikes lol.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Why CB? I think CB has been fine. Fuller has been great and Darby has been solid as CB2. Curl looks good and DB is pretty strong but I'd certainly take a true FS. ILB is the biggest need on defense by far, in my opinion, followed by FS.

Also not sure they should prioritize a TE over a WR. Cam Sims and Iasiah Wright have been nice stories and hopefully they continue to develop and McLaurin is a star but after that...? Steven Sims Jr has been a JAG, Gandy-Golden is really raw, Harmon is coming off of knee surgery, Inman doesn't have any future here. Logan Thomas has shown why they are high on him. Another TE would be nice but not a must-have, I don't think.

QB
OT
ILB
S
WR
TE
I prefaced it w “top” at each slot. Meaning using the 1st (or perhaps an early enough 2nd) for those slots.

If the Skins could get a shut down corner, it allows w everyone else to slot down, and also allows all the pass rushers more time to get after it.

Darrell Green was arguably the most important D player we had for our runs. He shut down one side. And the rest of the D could take advantage. So I think a top CB would take this defense over the top.

I think the current CB’s are fine. But they aren’t great. I want a great one.

by the same token we have a top WR, IMO. We need some complementary pieces, but I wouldn’t want to use 1st or 2nd on one. I would for a top TE. Not the first (of its top 10), but the 2nd I would for sure. Try and add a safety blanket for whomever the QB is.

the rest I pretty much agree with. I’d take a top FS in the 2nd. Like I would a TE. I wouldn’t use our first.

Same w OT for 1, and only a 2 for OC or OG.

you get my drift.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

By far my most memorable season as a younger skins fan, only other season that come close is maybe 05-07 Sean T, Portis, Cooley, Moss days. RG3 was just electric his first year. I thought we were going to be a force for a decade, truly is unfortunate how it all unfolded. I went to a few games that 2012 season but the NYE game against Dallas was a great memory, only time I ever saw FedEx just rocking, I still have the Washington post paper the morning after we won. But that year was more exciting for you than any of the super bowl runs?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Screw that. Build an offensive line that good but not great QB’s can thrive behind and go from there. If there is any organization that should understand that approach it should be the one formerly known as the Redskins...

ok, see you in 5 years when we can only hope it’s safe enough for them to draft the most important position on the team.

Well on our way to sucking for another decade.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Never pass on a QB again until you’ve got one. That doesn’t mean you have to throw him to the wolves like the Bengals have done w Burrow. If the line can’t protect, the kid waits...

This........besides IMO that injury could happen with any O-line. Simply bad luck.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
By far my most memorable season as a younger skins fan, only other season that come close is maybe 05-07 Sean T, Portis, Cooley, Moss days. RG3 was just electric his first year. I thought we were going to be a force for a decade, truly is unfortunate how it all unfolded. I went to a few games that 2012 season but the NYE game against Dallas was a great memory, only time I ever saw FedEx just rocking, I still have the Washington post paper the morning after we won. But that year was more exciting for you than any of the super bowl runs?
I’m in my mid-30s so I was 5 or 6 I think when they won their last SB. Don’t remember anything about it to be honest, though I do remember watching the Sports Illustrated Year in Review from that year on VHS about 50 times.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
ok, see you in 5 years when we can only hope it’s safe enough for them to draft the most important position on the team.

Well on our way to sucking for another decade.

I hear you but I’d take the odds of that approach being successful over hoping a quarterback messiah is going to more or less single handedly fix things any day.

And why does building a top notch offensive line need to take 5 years? Between devoting some early round picks and free agent money to those positions that should be able to be done in a much shorter time. Especially if you think they might have a guy or two already on the roster.

The Redskins had an identity on that side of the ball back when they were great and it wasn’t centered on a future hall of fame quarterback.

A top offensive line makes every other position on offense a decent amount better. A poor one makes them all a decent amount worse.

But sure, let’s draft another QB in the first round and hope this time is different. What could possibly go wrong...?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Their line isn’t half bad. It really needs one more top tackle. The guards and center are pretty good (to great), and Moses is holding his own.

edit — with all the cap space capital they should have, they need to add one to two of their 4 “needs” via FA. And then they others via the draft.
QB
Top OT
Top CB
Top LB

I know that’s a lot to add— but those 4 things would make this team a force. The remaining needs (TE, secondary WR, FS) can be added in rounds 2-7 of the draft. They can use their top 10 pick on one of those 4 slots above that is needed. Could be a playoff team as early as next season.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Cowboys strength coach Markus Paul, 54, dies

From a perspective of humanity and sportsmanship this is very sad.

From a WFT perspective it means the Cowboys will be playing with extra motivation tomorrow.

From a degenerate gambler's perspective, bet hard on Dallas.

Maybe. It also maybe too close to the moment.

I think the Skins are the better team right now. Smith over Dalton. And the Skins lines over the Cowboys lines. Trench warfare should be on the Skins side here.

Dallas is already giving up points. It’s a toss up game at best.

Plus there is an old axiom in gambling ....”never bet on a game with 2 bad teams”. Too unpredictable. However if betting, take the points.

we will see

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Who cares about the draft pick/division today, I want to beat the f*** out of Dallas on Thanksgiving.

I'm starting to feel the same way. We already tanked our tank and out of a top 5 pick. Just beat Dallas at their home while we eat good. Spank em. Just don't win anymore afterwards lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad