Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
We can argue the merits of the Forsberg trade till the cows come home. It's over and done with...I'm more concerned about how he is planning to get a top four D-man. That is clearly the biggest hole in the team at this point...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We can argue the merits of the Forsberg trade till the cows come home. It's over and done with...I'm more concerned about how he is planning to get a top four D-man. That is clearly the biggest hole in the team at this point...

Eric Fehr was on the ice for five Blackhawks goals. 3C looks like a pretty big hole at the moment, especially if Laich is moved as half the board wants.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Eric Fehr was on the ice for five Blackhawks goals. 3C looks like a pretty big hole at the moment, especially if Laich is moved as half the board wants.
That number sounds bad, but how many of those goals were his fault, even indirectly? If he was on for the last two, then I don't know how you could hold either of those against him. Plus, it was the first time he played center in an actual NHL game and his line tilted the ice offensively.

I wouldn't have pegged you for such a knee-jerk reaction to a single game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That number sounds bad, but how many of those goals were his fault, even indirectly? If he was on for the last two, then I don't know how you could hold either of those against him. Plus, it was the first time he played center in an actual NHL game and his line tilted the ice offensively.

True about the kneejerk, my comment was as much about demonstrating a point as it was about being genuinely upset. It was trying to demonstrate that there may well still be an important role for Brooks Laich on this team, especially with Perreault gone. Is the Fehr at C experiment over? Not likely, nor should it be considering the logjam we have at RW. But the leash shouldn't be tremendously long at this point, especially if we continue to give lots of ES ice-time to the Chimera-X-Ward line.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Forsberg would have been a heck of a piece to dangle for one ;)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our lineup is so lopsided right now. Bow heavy, and even the titanic ship is listing to starboard. George has presumed made provisions for injuries or future trades, but without them, our lineup options are overwhelming.

We can almost go 4 scoring lines.

5, if you consider our tiny tim pairing.

I assume there are like 12000 combos. But that number is usually less, since most guys only slot on a certain line, maybe 2. And factoring position, you don't project Ovi at center (dammit). We have top 6 guys on 3 and 4. 4 wingers that may play center. And really only 4 guys that are fixed on one line.

I would like to see Oates get started trying them all out. If he thinks he has found the best combos already, it is likely a mathematical miracle.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Yeah I don't think I would blame Fehr much if at all on any of those goals. Obviously being on the ice for a goal against sucks but sometimes your goaltender bats a puck clearly going wide into his own net. What are you going to do...?

That being said, even when Fehr wasn't getting scored on he struggled in his own zone IMO. It likely will take a while, if ever, for those reads to become second nature to him. There seemed to be a lot of looking and thinking on his part which put him a step or two behind and forced the others on the ice to run around trying to cover for him.

I figure he has to improve though, right? Right...?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I don't think I would blame Fehr much if at all on any of those goals. Obviously being on the ice for a goal against sucks but sometimes your goaltender bats a puck clearly going wide into his own net. What are you going to do...?

That being said, even when Fehr wasn't getting scored on he struggled in his own zone IMO. It likely will take a while, if ever, for those reads to become second nature to him. There seemed to be a lot of looking and thinking on his part which put him a step or two behind and forced the others on the ice to run around trying to cover for him.

No doubt he looked a bit lost. And you are right that not all of those were in any way his fault.

I'm sure he will improve...but how much he will improve I'm not sure of.

As usual he made some excellent forechecking plays to steal pucks and keep them in the Chicago zone. Lets not overlook the good he had.

Wish he would have buried that easy chance.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Filip Forsberg, now Perreault... At least the former move had some value in Erat. Beagle could have been moved, but instead McPhee elects to dump a far more promising player. I don't understand.:help:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He's currently a better NHL'er than Joe Colbourne. Where there is a need, there is a market.

There are lots of current fringe NHL players who are better players right now than 'your favorite prospect's name here' but that doesn't mean there is a demand for them.

Colbourne and Perreault still have upside in many people's opinion. Beagle is what he is and most teams already have their own Beagle.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Personally I thought Fehr got caught cheating twice on a scoring play and it cost us.

He'll learn hopefully.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He's currently a better NHL'er than Joe Colbourne. Where there is a need, there is a market.

Don't agree with the conclusion. Beagle's 4 years older than Colbourne and doesn't bring the possibility of untapped potential that Colbourne does.

I'd be surprised if he brought anything more than a Future Considerations in a one-for-one trade.

More likely, he's a guy a team may want as an add-on to a bigger trade.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
True about the kneejerk, my comment was as much about demonstrating a point as it was about being genuinely upset. It was trying to demonstrate that there may well still be an important role for Brooks Laich on this team, especially with Perreault gone. Is the Fehr at C experiment over? Not likely, nor should it be considering the logjam we have at RW. But the leash shouldn't be tremendously long at this point, especially if we continue to give lots of ES ice-time to the Chimera-X-Ward line.
If/when the Fehr at C expirement ends, the team should look for an actual 3C instead of shoehorning the $4.5M JOATMON into whatever hole seems to be leaking at the moment.

Heck, if Erskine doesn't pick up his game, stick #21 back there.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If/when the Fehr at C expirement ends, the team should look for an actual 3C instead of shoehorning the $4.5M JOATMON into whatever hole seems to be leaking at the moment.

David Legwand would have been a wonderful deadline fit if they had some cap space.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

David Legwand would have been a wonderful deadline fit if they had some cap space.

So... we simply shifted our lack of C depth to the 3rd line then? Great. But I think Laich could be the solution there. Give Erat some real time at 2LW to see if he can be a useful offensive player and put Fehr back at 3RW.

I hate to leave Wilson at 4RW because his icetime will be so little, but maybe a few months from now we trade from an actual position of strength, RW, and move 20 or 16 for D.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe we'll see a Flash for Hannan type trade to reshuffle the roster a little after seeing how things shake out early on.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did I already get my prediction in that Erat will not get a single game as Ovi's LW this year? I think I did. After last year, I have seen no signs other than MJ or bust.

Nylander never got to play at ES with Ovi either. It boggles the mind that George can go get high skill players yet they never get to play with our highest skill player.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Did I already get my prediction in that Erat will not get a single game as Ovi's LW this year? I think I did. After last year, I have seen no signs other than MJ or bust.

Nylander never got to play at ES with Ovi either. It boggles the mind that George can go get high skill players yet they never get to play with our highest skill player.

I agree, but at this point I'd just be happy if Erat got to play with any skill players. I can only hope Laich is being showcased for a trade.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He got smoked by McGinn on his first shift. Welcome to the Western Conference. Not sure he'll survive the intensity level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad