Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals at New York Rangers Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Are the Caps even gassed at this point?

Man that shot blocking hockey gets to you...We know this first hand with Torts teams

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Man that shot blocking hockey gets to you...We know this first hand with Torts teams

Yeah, a good point and Rangers have played less games this playoffs.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Mark Messier's retirement should be on there.

Gretzky did surprisingly well here during his Swan song, but I will always remeber him as an Oiler and a King.

The Rangers had many formerly elite players retire in a blue sweater, but only the Messiah really delivered.

I don't need a TV program to tell me that. :p

Gretzky will always be a St. Louis Blue to me

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Rangers may have found out how to beat this Capitals defensive system. Push up on the circles, pass pack for quick one time slap shot while crowding the front of the net. Both goals came like this.

I don't want another OT game where it is a 50/50 chance of survival. Come out. Bury 3, 4, 5 goals against Holtby.

Make the Caps rethink their strategy and create doubt in everyone one of their players' minds, especially Holtby's.

And for the love of god, separate Nash and MSL and swap Miller and Moore somewhere in the top 9. Sheesh.

I don't think it will happend though - MSL scored too many important goals last playoffs which got us to the Stanley cup final. I think AV & Sather hope that MSL will bounce back in this serie with a goal tomorrow. Miller is young so he has many years to improve his overall skillset.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think it will happend though - MSL scored too many important goals last playoffs which got us to the Stanley cup final. I think AV & Sather hope that MSL will bounce back in this serie with a goal tomorrow. Miller is young so he has many years to improve his overall skillset.

I think Miller being on the ice with Nash makes him play more physical, and thus gets us the Nash we need.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Caps have a horrible record in games where they can close out a series. I think it's something like 3-13.

Rangers need to come out with everything they've got in the first period. And actually score a goal or three this time around.

BarbaraAlphanse

Caps have a horrible record in games where they can close out a series. I think it's something like 3-13.

Rangers need to come out with everything they've got in the first period. And actually score a goal or three this time around.

To God's ears.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Miller being on the ice with Nash makes him play more physical, and thus gets us the Nash we need.

I like Miller a very promising young player, but he is unexperienced in the playoffs compare to Marty which was my point.

BarbaraAlphanse

I like Miller a very promising young player, but he is unexperienced in the playoffs compare to Marty which was my point.

Eh. I'd opt to spread out our experience and make all of our lines capable of scoring goals.

Marty with Hayes and Hagelin.

Miller with Nash and Brass.

Again, Nash and MSL together haven't produced at all. Even last year they weren't a good line.

I see no reason to keep them together.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I remember last year when we almost gave up when we had to win 3 mathces vs Pengs. We can win, because we've overall a stronger team even with Zucc injured. Fast has been huge for us with his creative play in OT - hopefully he will continue to surprise us positive tomorrow.
Rangers in 7! :)

Let's go Rangers!!

Last edited:

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Eh. I'd opt to spread out our experience and make all of our lines capable of scoring goals.

Marty with Hayes and Hagelin.

Miller with Nash and Brass.

Again, Nash and MSL together haven't produced at all. Even last year they weren't a good line.

I see no reason to keep them together.

Yes, true, but I guess that's AV reasoning to use Marty with Nash - I doubt my opinion matters anyway tomorrow night. :)

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I think Rangers may have found out how to beat this Capitals defensive system. Push up on the circles, pass ack for quick one time slap shot while crowding the front of the net. Both goals came like this.

I think this is exactly right. MSL also beat Holtby with a shot that hit the post on the power play in the 1st period with a play like this.

Its a bit disconcerting still that it took the Rangers this long to begin executing these types of plays. Not exactly rocket science. Quick puck movement, and quick shots. Gets the goalie moving, and prevents him and the d-men from setting up to block the shots.

Through the first 4 games they were being way to picky with their shots, too cute-sy, and holding onto the puck too long. Even last night, despite scoring off one-timers, there were still way too many instances where guys held onto the puck waiting for the perfect look instead of ripping it at the net.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
My girlfriend said that I was the happiest she has ever seen me when McD scored. I think that is a hyperbole but it is what it is. :rant:

Find a way to win game 6. I hope they come out and put up a 5 spot on Holtby.

I'd really love the lines to be:

Miller-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Step-Fast
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL
Shepp-Moore-Glass

For what it is worth, Glass has been one of our best players the entire playoffs.

Hopefully keep getting good shots to the net and have those pucks bounce off body parts into the back of the net

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I think this is exactly right. MSL also beat Holtby with a shot that hit the post on the power play in the 1st period with a play like this.

Its a bit disconcerting still that it took the Rangers this long to begin executing these types of plays. Not exactly rocket science. Quick puck movement, and quick shots. Gets the goalie moving, and prevents him and the d-men from setting up to block the shots.

Through the first 4 games they were being way to picky with their shots, too cute-sy, and holding onto the puck too long. Even last night, despite scoring off one-timers, there were still way too many instances where guys held onto the puck waiting for the perfect look instead of ripping it at the net.
Oh, if only he lifted that puck......

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It's a ****ing crime how this team just does not elevate itself for Lundqvist. Thank you for stepping it up in OT, Holtby went into god mode and was saving the most wide open of shots.

St. Louis should be ashamed of himself. I really want us full steam ahead in a do-or-die game 6. ****ing shoot till the game is over. Caps are going down on blocks whenever someone lines one up. Stepan made a good move this time around, usually I get annoyed but him holding and passing to McD opened the lane and Holtby was going down.

What a goaltending effort from both sides. I just am so proud to call Lundqvist our goalie. Just wish they kept at it and made it easy for him.
This! One thousand times this!

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: Mars Zuccarello accompanied Rangers to DC. Team says he is progressing. Otherwise no update on his status.â€

:yo:

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4