Was the Leafs Good Health last season overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
No team is going to be better after losing top players.

I'm saying that a team can't claim to overcome adversity if they haven't face any.

The team that lost their starter, their top-2 defenseman, and 1/2 their top-6 was the Sens in the lockout year.

Losing Matthews for an extended period of time is adversity. Going 3-0 without him so far isn't nothing. Plus, Andersen has been pretty bad for 10+games this year. And they've still managed to get through that with a winning record this year (despite a gross record last year with the same situation). Remember how the Sabres fared when Eichel went down?

Reactions: Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
IIRC, the argument people laid forth was that the Leafs made the playoffs because they were surprisingly healthy[/B]. I don't see the purpose of bringing up the Capitals, since they have a 24 point buffer last season. The Leafs had a 1 point buffer, so they definitely could have missed the playoffs with more injuries.

Exactly what are you trying to argue here? That the Leafs weren't healthy last season?
The argument was, things went perfect for the Leafs. Then Leaf fans brought up how they were 30th in the Shootut and no one would answer that counter argument.
I have never in my life seen such hype over a team's health. And they were not even the healthiest.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah... It's pretty obvious the stars aligned for the Leafs last season.
Pretty obvious that any benefit of a healthier than normal team (That should expected of a youthful lineup) was offset by a terrible shootout record and the lack of ability to close games out, both of which seem to be erased so far compared to last year

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Question, how are you determining top 9 players? Do you have the actual stats of this?
The Leafs were statistically NOT the healthiest team even last season.
Would you say that it's an outrageous assertion that the top 9 forwards on the Leafs last season were:

Matthews
JVR
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Bozak
Brown
Komarov
Hyman
?

Cause in that group, you had 10 man-games lost last season. Like the poster said.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Would you say that it's an outrageous assertion that the top 9 forwards on the Leafs last season were:

Matthews
JVR
Nylander
Marner
Kadri
Bozak
Brown
Komarov
Hyman
?

Cause in that group, you had 10 man-games lost last season. Like the poster said.

The Leafs were not the healthiest team in NHL history. That argument is embarrassing. Please drop it. They were not even the healthiest in the 2016-17 season. Are people not aware of this?
And BTW, Nylander was on the 4th line last season for a time.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Leafs were not the healthiest team in NHL history. That argument is embarrassing. Please drop it. They were not even the healthiest in the 2016-17 season. Are people not aware of this?
And BTW, Nylander was on the 4th line last season for a time.
Yeah, I never made the argument that the Leafs were the healthiest team in NHL history. They were, however, unusually lucky in that their top 9 missed a grand total of 10 games last season.

Do you disagree with this? If you don't, do you disagree with the assertion that more injuries to their core players may have affected their ability to make the playoffs, since they finished with 1 point more than the 9th placed Islanders?

And let's not be disingenuous. Nylander was a top 9 forward for the Leafs last season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Shit I dunno man. What was the relative hype meter on the Leafs Good Health? On a scale of 1-10. What exactly does it mean if it was?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yeah, I never made the argument that the Leafs were the healthiest team in NHL history. They were, however, unusually lucky in that their top 9 missed a grand total of 10 games last season.

Their core players have a lengthy history of durability, save the rookies. If you don't have injury prone players on your team.....your probably not going to miss as much time. Also, injuries may be more rare in today's game with off-season conditioning programs, sports science, and other various avenues.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Do you disagree with this? If you don't, do you disagree with the assertion that more injuries to their core players may have affected their ability to make the playoffs, since they finished with 1 point more than the 9th placed Islanders?

And let's not be disingenuous. Nylander was a top 9 forward for the Leafs last season.

My thought on this has always been:

Isn't a team that has a top 9 composed primarily of under 22 year old players more likely to stay healthy than a team with a top 9 composed primarily of 25-35 year old players?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Yeah well the argument was just tweaked to make them the healthiest team in NHL history. We know statistically they were not even the healthiest last season. The bias is hilarious.
Now the argument is "Name a team that's lost less top 9 players". What?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Losing Matthews for an extended period of time is adversity. Going 3-0 without him so far isn't nothing. Plus, Andersen has been pretty bad for 10+games this year. And they've still managed to get through that with a winning record this year (despite a gross record last year with the same situation). Remember how the Sabres fared when Eichel went down?

It's still a relatively small sample at 3 games.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah well the argument was just tweaked to make them the healthiest team in NHL history. We know statistically they were not even the healthiest last season. The bias is hilarious.
What in the world are you even talking about?

You know what, we'll make this simple. What is the purpose of this thread?

Reactions: Gsus

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
In the summer, I had numerous disagreements with fans of other teams regarding the Leafs health. The Leafs were not the healthiest team last season, yet I have never in my life heard so much hype over a team being healthy. Due to this, so many claimed the Leafs had everything go "Perfect" for them. I would then point out they were dead-last in the shootout and that cost them a lot of points. The Leafs are 4-0 in S/O and OT this season and are 3-0 without Matthews.
Was it a correct notion that the health was overhyped?

3-0 Against opponents who are likely not going to make the playoffs...You give Matthews any kind of sustained injury lasting 2 weeks and TB gets into the playoffs. (may I remind you just how close it came to us not locking down that final wild card slot)

dude you have no buisness making this thread. Unless the goal was to embarass anyone with a Leaf avatar.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Their core players have a lengthy history of durability, save the rookies. If you don't have injury prone players on your team.....your probably not going to miss as much time. Also, injuries may be more rare in today's game with off-season conditioning programs, sports science, and other various avenues.

Do they? Bozak has a history of numerous injuries. Kadri has one 82 game season under his belt (last season). Same with Komarov. JVR is generally healthy. They not unusually injury prone, but I wouldn't say that they're an unusually healthy bunch either.

My thought on this has always been:

Isn't a team that has a top 9 composed primarily of under 22 year old players more likely to stay healthy than a team with a top 9 composed primarily of 25-35 year old players?

I would agree with this. 10 man-games lost seems low though. I'd be very surprised if the same thing happens this season. I do not, however, think that means that the Leafs will miss the playoffs this season.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Yeah, the whole "lucky/healthy season" thing was just another dumb excuse from posters who never breathe out of their nose.

This site really needs a downvote option. Would prevent us from having to read a lot of stupidity in between the odd good.

Reactions: Lilou and 204hockey

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I have never in my life seen such hype over a team's health. And they were not even the healthiest.

People would also basically make a big deal over so-called "loser points," as if points are actually awarded for losing in OT or in a SO as opposed to finishing regulation tied.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well how many games did your starting roster miss? I know that's not the biggest way to determine your answer but I think it matters. If your starters are out it's all about your depth. If your depth plays well then it's not as bad. If you don't have the depth you just can't compete.

Sometimes injuries can bring a better player onto the ice. So I think if you can answer that then I think you will find the truth. It's probably somewhere in between. Leafs have talent for sure but luck does play a role in hockey. Not always but it can and does happen time after time. Matchups, injuries, bounces, and the ice is all things that we can call luck when they favor you. It's not a bad thing. You need talent to survive in this league. Luck is something that either goes your way or doesn't. It's just knowing the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad