Was the Leafs Good Health last season overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think his issue is most people put an * next to good team. There doesn't have to be an excuse as to why they are good, they are just good, like so all the other top teams.

I try to view things as objectively as possible.....regardless of team logo. Typically ( not 100% of time), top teams rarely lead the NHL in points & man games lost......inversely can also be said (again not 100%). I try to understand why teams (or players) have good or bad seasons.....it's not to take anything away from them......just to understand the factors of success or failure. In the Leafs case last year I can't logically find any reason to say good health or lucky health didn't play a factor......not the only factor of course just one of many factors including team skill of course. Example, instead of losing the least or one of least man games they had lost the most or near most man games it's safe to say they wouldn't of clinched on game 82 or whatever it was. Just logical IMO, some might not agree which is fine but I can't see any logic in their reasoning....which again is fine. Op asked for opinions I've given mine, I, not trying to convience anyone and I haven't seen any reasonable or logical reason or opinion to counter mine at least in my opinion. I don't think I've said anything controversial or completely out in left field either.

So to me it's not about putting a * beside the Leafs results last year or this year due to health......it's about for me understanding how they got there in the first place.......last year was team skill & depth and good luck health wise. This year while still being very healthy (something like top 5 team or so) they aren't even close to being a bubble team.....so again this year it was even more about skill & depth.....less about good health. Make sense what I'm saying? Not asking you to agree or not, just asking have I explained my POV enough?

Last year the Leafs were a bubble team that made in the last game or close to it. No one can say the Leafs aren't a good team this year, clearly a very good team. Not sure why anyone would bump a thread this old, who cares about last year IMO. The Leafs this year are what they are, 7th best team in the standings after the reg season.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I try to view things as objectively as possible.....regardless of team logo. Typically ( not 100% of time), top teams rarely lead the NHL in points & man games lost......inversely can also be said (again not 100%). I try to understand why teams (or players) have good or bad seasons.....it's not to take anything away from them......just to understand the factors of success or failure. In the Leafs case last year I can't logically find any reason to say good health or lucky health didn't play a factor......not the only factor of course just one of many factors including team skill of course. Example, instead of losing the least or one of least man games they had lost the most or near most man games it's safe to say they wouldn't of clinched on game 82 or whatever it was. Just logical IMO, some might not agree which is fine but I can't see any logic in their reasoning....which again is fine. Op asked for opinions I've given mine, I, not trying to convience anyone and I haven't seen any reasonable or logical reason or opinion to counter mine at least in my opinion. I don't think I've said anything controversial or completely out in left field either.

So to me it's not about putting a * beside the Leafs results last year or this year due to health......it's about for me understanding how they got there in the first place.......last year was team skill & depth and good luck health wise. This year while still being very healthy (something like top 5 team or so) they aren't even close to being a bubble team.....so again this year it was even more about skill & depth.....less about good health. Make sense what I'm saying? Not asking you to agree or not, just asking have I explained my POV enough?

Last year the Leafs were a bubble team that made in the last game or close to it. No one can say the Leafs aren't a good team this year, clearly a very good team. Not sure why anyone would bump a thread this old, who cares about last year IMO. The Leafs this year are what they are, 7th best team in the standings after the reg season.
You don't understand why?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You don't understand why?

Nope, seems pointless, waste of time TBH. Shouldnt you/we being talking about the Leafs this year? Not last year's version of the Leafs. I mean this year's Leafs are a better team, better results and broken the Leafs franchise record in wins in a year.......etc. Who cares about last year IMO, but clearly you care.....just don't understand it. As one coach once said, you're only as good as your record.....no more or less......nothing could be more true then that. Leafs are #7 team in the NHL......lets talk about that IMO.

Seems like you are trying to fuel an old feud with one poster who shall remain unnamed.......don't give into that.....ignore him like the rest of us do.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Of course good health played a big factor last year, they clinched a playoff spot last game or two whatever it was.....without their good luck health wise last year they wouldn’t made it.....no brainer.

This year again luck is with them health wise but playing less factor this year bc they are in 6-7 spot in the nhl. So even with more injuries they would of made it.

Not sure what the debate is even, just common sense. Good health plays a big factor in all teams success or failure
Ifs and buts and candy and nuts.

When your argument relies on a hypothetical, it sucks - plain and simple.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Ifs and buts and candy and nuts.

When your argument relies on a hypothetical, it sucks - plain and simple.

Wait.....what does the opposite arguement rely on? Even less logic and more hypothetical......thus why bumping this old thread makes even less sense as a Leaf fan. Haha

My point, if you didn't read it which I suspect you didn't, is that of course being the team with the least injuries or close to it, in the entire NHL has a positive affect on your point totals (regardless of team logo).........and your arguement then if the opposite of mine (according to your post) is that injuries play zero affect on a teams point totals.......yeh that's really logical.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Wait.....what does the opposite arguement rely on? Even less logic and more hypothetical......thus why bumping this old thread makes even less sense as a Leaf fan. Haha
This is the part of your post I have a serious problem with :

"without their good luck health wise last year they wouldn’t made it.....no brainer."

You open up a huge can of worms by saying this. It's no more logical to impose this hypothetical than saying if the Leafs did suffer injuries, the players coming up would replace them and play out of their minds and actually have the Leafs finish higher.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This is the part of your post I have a serious problem with :

"without their good luck health wise last year they wouldn’t made it.....no brainer."

You open up a huge can of worms by saying this. It's no more logical to impose this hypothetical than saying if the Leafs did suffer injuries, the players coming up would replace them and play out of their minds and actually have the Leafs finish higher.

Ok let's go through this step by step......IIRC the Leafs clinched a playoff off stop in their last game. Am I right or wrong? If I'm wrong what game was it? Real question, not being sarcastic, I'm sure you know faster then I can look it up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok let's go through this step by step......IIRC the Leafs clinched a playoff off stop in their last game. Am I right or wrong? If I'm wrong what game was it? Real question, not being sarcastic, I'm sure you know faster then I can look it up.

Wrong.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
BTW, this thread was 100% right.
More injuries, but better team. That point about being dead-last in the shootout which everyone conveniently ignored was a big one. This idea everything went perfect last year was such garbage. Being last in the S/O and losing more points than any other team does not mean you were the luckiest team and everything went perfect.
Read through the thread. I was just destroyed by non-Leaf fans and some Leaf fans themselves. Now that the season is coming to a close, it looks like I was right. LOL Good job guys. Another bad Leaf analysis/prediction.
Just to be clear, you bumping this thread was completely acceptable because, in your opinion, you were right. Rival fans bumping the Zaitsev thread though was criminal and you yelled from the mountain tops for it to be locked.

Accurate?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Just to be clear, you bumping this thread was completely acceptable because, in your opinion, you were right. Rival fans bumping the Zaitsev thread though was criminal and you yelled from the mountain tops for it to be locked.

Accurate?
Actually, my main gripe as I stated in that thread was I had previously bumped up a thread about the media and mods had closed it in 5 minutes for fear there were individuals bumping up single posts in and getting knocked for it. Mine was being left open.
Is an individual who bumps up their own thread wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->