Was the Leafs Good Health last season overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In the summer, I had numerous disagreements with fans of other teams regarding the Leafs health. The Leafs were not the healthiest team last season, yet I have never in my life heard so much hype over a team being healthy. Due to this, so many claimed the Leafs had everything go "Perfect" for them. I would then point out they were dead-last in the shootout and that cost them a lot of points. The Leafs are 4-0 in S/O and OT this season and are 3-0 without Matthews.
Was it a correct notion that the health was overhyped?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
In the summer, I had numerous disagreements with fans of other teams regarding the Leafs health. The Leafs were not the healthiest team last season, yet I have never in my life heard so much hype over a team being healthy. Due to this, so many claimed the Leafs had everything go "Perfect" for them. I would then point out they were dead-last in the shootout and that cost them a lot of points. The Leafs are 4-0 in S/O and OT this season and are 3-0 without Matthews.
Was it a correct notion that the health was overhyped?

Wow.

This post really goes right and left...

But to answer the main part of it, no, the health was not overhyped.

Don't include the players on Robidas' island.

Reactions: Trilliann

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Wow.

This post really goes right and left...

But to answer the main part of it, no, the health was not overhyped.

Don't include the players on Robidas' island.
No one is. They were not the healthiest last season. this is a fact.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't ***** on here about "Leafs hatred" or any of that all often, but that whole notion that the Leafs only made the playoffs last season because "everything clicked perfectly" and that they're quite likely to miss this season because it's "unlikely that they'll be that lucky again" was really a reach/quite narrow-minded.

Teams grow and improve.

You never know who's going to get hurt or who will be able to step up or step in at any given time.

They've won without Matthews. Who says they can't or won't win if, say, Marner or Kadri gets hurt? Or Nylander?

Rielly did misse games last season and obviously played at less than 100% for a while. Marner wasn't healthy down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown and Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't ***** on here about "Leafs hatred" or any of that all often, but that whole notion that the Leafs only made the playoffs last season because "everything clicked perfectly" and that they're quite likely to miss this season because it's "unlikely that they'll be that lucky again" was really a reach/quite narrow-minden.

Teams grow and improve.

You never know who's going to get hurt or who will be able to step up or step in at any given time.

They've won without Matthews. Who says they can't or won't win if, say, Marner or Kadri gets hurt? Or Nylander?

Rielly did misse games last season and obviously played at less than 100% for a while. Marner wasn't healthy down the stretch.

I have never in my life seen people harp on good health with a team ever. Especially when that team actually was not the healthiest.

Reactions: Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The leafs had 10 man games lost in their top 9 forwards. Name the other time in NHL history that happened...

The Washington Capitals-2016-17.
You're proving my point. They were not the healthiest, but you're trying to spin it as they were healthiest in NHL history now. They were not even healthiest in 2016-17.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
giphy.webp

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs have continued to be super healthy. Three games of Matthews from an incredibly deep forward corps is not a major issue.

Come back when you lose Gardiner, Rielly, Andersen, and 1/2 your top-6.

Name me 5 teams who would not slide down the standings without their franchise C, top 2 defensemen, #1G and half their top 6 :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
this thread is at least better than your "Two way is overrated" aka Matthews >> selke centers thread

I was saying two way play is overrated before Matthews played an NHL game.
And BTW, can you pull up a quote by me saying Matthews deserves a Selke? Didn't think so. Never happened.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Washington Capitals-2016-17.
You're proving my point. They were not the healthiest, but you're trying to spin it as they were healthiest in NHL history now. They were not even healthiest in 2016-17.
What? Oshie alone missed more than 10 games in 2016-17.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Name me 5 teams who would not slide down the standings without their franchise C, top 2 defensemen, #1G and half their top 6 :laugh:
No team is going to be better after losing top players.

I'm saying that a team can't claim to overcome adversity if they haven't face any.

The team that lost their starter, their top-2 defenseman, and 1/2 their top-6 was the Sens in the lockout year.

Reactions: Bodybr3ak

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What? Oshie alone missed more than 10 games in 2016-17.

Question, how are you determining top 9 players? Do you have the actual stats of this?
The Leafs were statistically NOT the healthiest team even last season.

Feb 24, 2017
I answered. You ignored.
It's hilarious hearing it spun as the Leafs were the healthiest in NHL history last season when they were not even the healthiest in the 2016-17 season.
I would never ignore you.

Perhaps my page wasn’t refreshed at the time.

My apologies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
IIRC, the argument people laid forth was that the Leafs made the playoffs because they were surprisingly healthy. I don't see the purpose of bringing up the Capitals, since they have a 24 point buffer last season. The Leafs had a 1 point buffer, so they definitely could have missed the playoffs with more injuries.

Exactly what are you trying to argue here? That the Leafs weren't healthy last season?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah... It's pretty obvious the stars aligned for the Leafs last season.

Not really, they were pretty healthy but they also had some injuries that hurt them as they tried to clinch a spot.

They also had some things go really wrong and that made it harder than it needed to be. Every team has to hope they get enough things breaking their way to get into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad