Was moving to Brooklyn a mistake for the Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
As an outsider that's looking into this situation, I do not see this move as a mistake, especially when Brooklyn is geographically part of Long Island, while the Battle of New York is still alive and now more intense by virtue of reviving the old Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry.

If anything, Barclays Center should be more accommodating to the Islanders, especially when having the Islanders in Brooklyn is an obvious financial boon for them.

Addendum #1: Yes, the move was a rush job, but let the Islanders settle in nicely.

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
As an outsider that's looking into this situation, I do not see this move as a mistake, especially when Brooklyn is geographically part of Long Island, while the Battle of New York is still alive and now more intense by virtue of reviving the old Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry.

If anything, Barclays Center should be more accommodating to the Islanders, especially when having the Islanders in Brooklyn is an obvious financial boon for them.

Addendum #1: Yes, the move was a rush job, but let the Islanders settle in nicely.

It's hardly a Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry when there are far more Ranger fans in Brooklyn than Islander fans.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
It's hardly a Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry when there are far more Ranger fans in Brooklyn than Islander fans.

That's ok. Plenty of time to build a fanbase. It's not as bad as the Nets-Knicks either. Ever watch a nets-knicks game at barclays. Not even exaggerating, probably 90% knick fans. Isles would never let that happen.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

I know geographically, Brooklyn is part of LI. However, only outsiders thinks Brooklyn is part of LI. Secondly, there is really no Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry, and really never has been. I am not trying to be rude, and I know you qualified your statement by saying you are an outsider. Whenever anyone says they are "from Long Island", they mean Nassau or Suffolk County. Nobody in Brooklyn or Queens says they are from Long Island or live on Long Island.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That's ok. Plenty of time to build a fanbase. It's not as bad as the Nets-Knicks either. Ever watch a nets-knicks game at barclays. Not even exaggerating, probably 90% knick fans. Isles would never let that happen.

They really do not need to build a "Brooklyn" fanbase. Contrary to the opinion of some on here, they will always have a fan base on LI. But, I do get what you are saying that down the road you will see a higher mix of Rangers-Isles fans within the 5 boroughs. As for the Nets, if they could ever get their stuff together, they could build a fanbase. While I do not see them ever overtaking the Knicks, they could become a flavor of the month in times when they are good and the Knicks are bad. NY is very fair-weather when it comes to BBall. Secondly, there really isn't much of a Knicks-Nets rivalry, so if the Knicks are bad, their fans would be more apt to root for the Nets are good. Something that would never happen between the Rangers and Islanders fan bases.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I know geographically, Brooklyn is part of LI. However, only outsiders thinks Brooklyn is part of LI. Secondly, there is really no Manhattan-Brooklyn rivalry, and really never has been. I am not trying to be rude, and I know you qualified your statement by saying you are an outsider. Whenever anyone says they are "from Long Island", they mean Nassau or Suffolk County. Nobody in Brooklyn or Queens says they are from Long Island or live on Long Island.

Dodgers-Giants doesn't ring a bell?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
They really do not need to build a "Brooklyn" fanbase. Contrary to the opinion of some on here, they will always have a fan base on LI. But, I do get what you are saying that down the road you will see a higher mix of Rangers-Isles fans within the 5 boroughs.

To be fair they're trying. They're holding events at Aviator. They're going to nyc public schools. They're spending money on bus ads and billboards within city limits. They're definitely trying. NYC is not yet tapped. There's a huge percentage of the population that have not even given hockey a chance. If the isles tap into that market they'll be more than fine. They need to win, they need to me smart with advertising. We shall see.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
To be fair they're trying. They're holding events at Aviator. They're going to nyc public schools. They're spending money on bus ads and billboards within city limits. They're definitely trying. NYC is not yet tapped. There's a huge percentage of the population that have not even given hockey a chance. If the isles tap into that market they'll be more than fine. They need to win, they need to me smart with advertising. We shall see.

??

There have been three hockey teams in the tri-state area for decades. Where are these untapped hockey fans?

Isles haven't been relevant in 30+ years. Devils had their time in the 90's and early 00's and Rangers have a huge history with generations rooting for them + recent success. Anyone who was interested in hockey before the Isles move, had two far more successful and better teams available to them before this year.

Isles have nothing. Their attempt to gain fans is an uphill battle. Even in a perfect arena its a huge challenge. Of course as the weather warms, baseball arrives, and hockey games become more important, Long Island Isles fans will make the trek to Brooklyn for the one playoff series they'll probably be in.

Happens every year.

Like you mention, they need to win. That will cure almost everything. Win, and they shall come.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Dodgers-Giants doesn't ring a bell?
That wasn't simply a brooklyn vs Manhattan thing. Both teams had fans all over the area. Secondly, both teams came into existence pretty much together. Yes, I know the Giants are an older franchise, but the dynamics of the market are nothing like they are now. Brooklyn has been Rangers territory for a few generations. If anything, the rivalry WITHIN Brooklyn might strengthen.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That wasn't simply a brooklyn vs Manhattan thing. Both teams had fans all over the area. Secondly, both teams came into existence pretty much together. Yes, I know the Giants are an older franchise, but the dynamics of the market are nothing like they are now. Brooklyn has been Rangers territory for a few generations. If anything, the rivalry WITHIN Brooklyn might strengthen.
To be fair, though, Nassau and Suffolk had more Ranger fans than Islanders fans as well. Nature of the beast. If the team performs well, they will draw from everywhere. During the cup years, the season ticket holders sitting in front of us came down from Orange county, and never missed a game.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
??

There have been three hockey teams in the tri-state area for decades. Where are these untapped hockey fans?

Isles haven't been relevant in 30+ years. Devils had their time in the 90's and early 00's and Rangers have a huge history with generations rooting for them + recent success. Anyone who was interested in hockey before the Isles move, had two far more successful and better teams available to them before this year.

Isles have nothing. Their attempt to gain fans is an uphill battle. Even in a perfect arena its a huge challenge. Of course as the weather warms, baseball arrives, and hockey games become more important, Long Island Isles fans will make the trek to Brooklyn for the one playoff series they'll probably be in.

Happens every year.

Like you mention, they need to win. That will cure almost everything. Win, and they shall come.

Paying student loans and ridiculous rent.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
??

Happens every year.

There's plenty of untapped potential. Brooklyn has brought in a ton of young people with disposable income from all over, some are already established hockey fans of other markets but others aren't. Then you have long brooklynites who have never given hockey a shot. Brooklyn is 30% black. Hockey fans are 90% white (guesstimate). That's a ton of people who are not yet converted. I have already seen more than my share of black fans at barclays, when at the coliseum you can count them on one hand. There's a lot of potential. We ain't talking the nfl (where nearly every American in a major market has already picked a side).

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
To be fair, though, Nassau and Suffolk had more Ranger fans than Islanders fans as well. Nature of the beast. If the team performs well, they will draw from everywhere. During the cup years, the season ticket holders sitting in front of us came down from Orange county, and never missed a game.

Do you really think that is true? I always figured it was fairly even, at least in Nassau. I do remember once talking to an older guy about 20 years ago. He has to be in his 70s now. He lived in Suffolk County his whole life, was a Rangers fan, but not a diehard. He said, when the Isles started he and his friends viewed them as a "Nassau" team and not a "Long Island" team. Playing at "Nassau" Coliseum, Nassau County colors. So, he stayed with the Rangers. I always thought it was odd, but I guess some people felt that way. I was always told Eastern Suffolk County had more Rangers fans because it was easier for them to take the train to the city than drive to Uniondale.

Also, fans coming out when they are good is a double-edged sword. Yes, it is great because the building fills up and they are getting attention. However, then you have the guy who has been there through the losing who now complains about the "new" or "Bandwagon" fan.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
There's plenty of untapped potential. Brooklyn has brought in a ton of young people with disposable income from all over, some are already established hockey fans of other markets but others aren't. Then you have long brooklynites who have never given hockey a shot. Brooklyn is 30% black. Hockey fans are 90% white (guesstimate). That's a ton of people who are not yet converted. I have already seen more than my share of black fans at barclays, when at the coliseum you can count them on one hand. There's a lot of potential. We ain't talking the nfl (where nearly every American in a major market has already picked a side).

Brooklyn is a melting pot. There is a huge Latino population in Sunset Park. There is a Brooklyn Chinatown now that stretches from Sunset Park into parts of Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights. There is a huge Middle Eastern community in Bay Ridge, of course Russian population. Brighton Beach and Coney Island are the hub of the Russian community, but they are pretty much all over Brooklyn, now.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you really think that is true? I always figured it was fairly even, at least in Nassau. I do remember once talking to an older guy about 20 years ago. He has to be in his 70s now. He lived in Suffolk County his whole life, was a Rangers fan, but not a diehard. He said, when the Isles started he and his friends viewed them as a "Nassau" team and not a "Long Island" team. Playing at "Nassau" Coliseum, Nassau County colors. So, he stayed with the Rangers. I always thought it was odd, but I guess some people felt that way. I was always told Eastern Suffolk County had more Rangers fans because it was easier for them to take the train to the city than drive to Uniondale.

Also, fans coming out when they are good is a double-edged sword. Yes, it is great because the building fills up and they are getting attention. However, then you have the guy who has been there through the losing who now complains about the "new" or "Bandwagon" fan.

Yeah, I do, not that being "fairly even" in what's supposed to be your home market is a good thing either. Like I said, nature of the beast. If the team does well, it will get a bigger share of the market, wherever it plays. Problem is, for the last 30 odd years, one team has been a drab product, on ice and off, while the other is the glamour and bright lights of Broadway. Sure, geography or something like parental loyalty will play a factor with some, but if you are a kid growing up post Dynasty, which would hold greater attraction for most? Right.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Would that be a first ?

I know players have stated in past they wanted out because team was heading to unknown (Broedker/Coyotes) but I call BS on that rumor about Okposo.

It is BS. There's not even a rumor. Okposo never said anything.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

edott

Mar 10, 2016
The New York Islanders at Barclay's since 12/1 (20 games) have avg well over 14,000 in a 15,000 seat arena going from 13 saturday games to one all season with a media knocking the place since the shovel went in the ground.

They were New York in 1972, New York last season, and New York now.

Thread should say New York Islanders at Barclay's Center, that's the name of the team and the arena.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The New York Islanders at Barclay's since 12/1 (20 games) have avg well over 14,000 in a 15,000 seat arena going from 13 saturday games to one all season with a media knocking the place since the shovel went in the ground.

Why are you starting December 1? Doesn't Oct -> December count too?

edott

Mar 10, 2016
Why are you starting December 1? Doesn't Oct -> December count too?

Considering the Oct-Nov numbers at Barclay's were basically the same and better than Nassau Coliseum on weeknights last year for the same time frame what's the difference?

And New York at Barclay's flat out had higher attendance than Devils. (let's not talk about other local teams with empty seats)

And of course we all know what a nice 60 degree clear Monday night home game looked like at the Nassau Coliseum on October 8th 2013 two days after needing all summer to sellout the opener. (after making the playoffs)

10,288?

The New York Islanders at Barclay's Center has been a tremendous success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad