Was moving to Brooklyn a mistake for the Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I love how those two paragraphs are separated. You don't usually see such a clear divide between good and bad outside of marvel comic book movies. You are bringing in anecdotal experiences from the late 80s and early 90s? Are we really going there... Nobody had isles clothes on at jones beach in 1988! I didn't see any lafontaine jerseys at the Duran Duran concert! That's relevant to this discussion?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but this is all a bit much.

To add, is Islanders gear and discussion really that prevalent in NYC?

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
This is flying off the rails fast, especially with the referendum blame game.

- queens and Suffolk couldn't vote
- it was a single issue referendum which is why the low turnout
- there was an immense amount of disinformation coming from the opposing party. This included suggestions of better alternatives when there were none and robocalls to fixed income seniors that taxes would go up.
- to suggest blaming the residents you would need to be able to say that most municipalities would have voted yes. Otherwise they are just like any other place. Do you have examples of successful first Ballot publicly funded sports arena referendums? Are they more common than no votes
- this was during a recession

Also a dynasty does wonders to build a fanbase but it also can potentially create a sense of entitlement and hangover in the subsequent years. The islanders on ice product never had a normalized period of success since 1993. They haven't even hosted a home ice advantage playoff series.

Lots of excuses. The vote was OVERWHELMINGLY NO. Only 11% of eligible voters bothered to vote. Suffolk never stepped up to help NYI get a new arena. Queens % of NYI fans is minimal compared to nassau/suffolk so y'all always say.

Making an excuse for the dynasty and poor attendance afterwards by entitlement is wacky and pretty much proves what I've been saying about bad "fans" and not enough of them. As already mentioned there were more normal periods than dysfunctional ones including the early 2000s which is after 1993.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
You are bringing in anecdotal experiences from the late 80s and early 90s? Are we really going there... Nobody had isles clothes on at jones beach in 1988! I didn't see any lafontaine jerseys at the Duran Duran concert! That's relevant to this discussion?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but this is all a bit much.

It all revolves around the same theme - not enough people cared or were interested to keep NYI on LI. Politicians, residents and "fans". And yes, it's good to know history from the 80's and 90s since you're young and didn't experience it but you assume an awful lot and rationalize/justify everything else. Bottom line is they're gone. It happened for a reason, part of which (or maybe all of which) I described even if you can't accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Homer Glumplich*

The best comparison I could make is the Jets moving from Shea to Giants Stadium. Shea was a dump but it was right in the heart of their fanbase and fit their blue collar nature well.

This just doesn't work for the Islander fan. Sure Nassau was a dump but it was a dump with great sightlines and looked like the Isles rink. Here the Islanders are playing in some weird ill fitted Jay-Z concoction in a hipster infested dump too far from their suburban base. The branding is black when the teams colors are blue and orange...the isles sometimes don these hideous out of character black alts too much to the chagrin of everyone...it doesn't work

Bump up the capacity of the new coliseum and move them back. Leave that hideous rust pile to the Nets (who should've stayed in Newark instead of moving even deeper into the Knicks shadow)

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The best comparison I could make is the Jets moving from Shea to Giants Stadium. Shea was a dump but it was right in the heart of their fanbase and fit their blue collar nature well.

This just doesn't work for the Islander fan. Sure Nassau was a dump but it was a dump with great sightlines and looked like the Isles rink. Here the Islanders are playing in some weird ill fitted Jay-Z concoction in a hipster infested dump too far from their suburban base. The branding is black when the teams colors are blue and orange...the isles sometimes don these hideous out of character black alts too much to the chagrin of everyone...it doesn't work

Bump up the capacity of the new coliseum and move them back. Leave that hideous rust pile to the Nets (who should've stayed in Newark instead of moving even deeper into the Knicks shadow)

I think the jets comp is a good one.

I've always felt the nets should have gone to the PRU and the NBA should have expanded to BK if they felt it was viable... But I also admittedly am very out of touch with the state of the NBA

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
At the fear of overgeneralizing, I think most Canadian fans feel that they must remain loyal to their original team no matter what. This also extends to a greater extent to many of the US O6 fans. I'm from a traditional, O6 market but have lived in many corners of this country, and am currently in greater Seattle. If the NHL expanded here, I know I'd follow the new team. Still be a Wings fan, but I would adopt the new team, and for more than just visits into Seattle by the Wings. :)

Oh I agree, I would stay loyal to the team if I left the market. My point was if the team left the market, doubt I would follow them in new location for very long. Pertaining to this thread, if there is no alternative, it is better for fans in Long Island to go to Brooklyn than lose the team to a far flung locale. Anyway, hope it works out, not a franchise that should be moving.

Homer Glumplich*

I think the jets comp is a good one.

I've always felt the nets should have gone to the PRU and the NBA should have expanded to BK if they felt it was viable... But I also admittedly am very out of touch with the state of the NBA

Yea same here. Haven't watched much NBA since the Jordan/Bird/Magic days. Nowadays I hear there is a team called the Pelicans? huh? lol. Anyway AT BETS Nets to Brooklyn looks like a lateral move. But if they stayed in NJ they could at least lay claim to an identity.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
All I know is that those Barclays sightlines are an abomination to the sport of hockey and a slap in the face to anybody who drops their hard earned money to sit in that arena.

I remember a few years back when the Queens relocation was brought up and a council member said "keep that white peoples sport out of queens". lol

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Real Rangers fans watch on TV :D

The Knicks and rangers have so much corporate support they will never have an attendance problem. That is not going to directly translate to Brooklyn regardless of the population.
On the first part, I know several Rangers and Knicks fans who not only never go to games, but have absolutely no desire to go to games. A few of those Rangers fans are LI people who hate the train, hate the commute home, hate the crowds. I'm sure there are many more like that, doesn't mean the teams are making a mistake playing in Manhattan.

This is flying off the rails fast, especially with the referendum blame game.

- queens and Suffolk couldn't vote
- it was a single issue referendum which is why the low turnout
- there was an immense amount of disinformation coming from the opposing party. This included suggestions of better alternatives when there were none and robocalls to fixed income seniors that taxes would go up.
- to suggest blaming the residents you would need to be able to say that most municipalities would have voted yes. Otherwise they are just like any other place. Do you have examples of successful first Ballot publicly funded sports arena referendums? Are they more common than no votes
- this was during a recession

Also a dynasty does wonders to build a fanbase but it also can potentially create a sense of entitlement and hangover in the subsequent years. The islanders on ice product never had a normalized period of success since 1993. They haven't even hosted a home ice advantage playoff series.

Queens? How would that have mattered? If you are going to say Queens is somehow filled with Isles fans, you'd be mistaken. Have heard that misconception a few times and it simply isn't true. Just like the notion that Staten Island is somehow filled with Devils fans.

As for the 2nd point, I agree. If the vote was held on election day, it would have had a much better chance of passing. The fact that only 11% of the eligible voters voted, tells me most people didn't care if it passed either way. Thinking you had the absolute die-hard Isles fans voting and the annoying people who call around telling you to vote no on school budget votes. On election day, more of the not-so-absolute-die-hard fans would have voted since they were already at the booth and would have been more likely to vote in favor of the referendum.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Yes, but the Jets fans still made the trip. I know it is different because you are talking about Sunday mornings, when there is very little if any traffic getting to the stadium.

The question I would ask the Isles fan on LI who hates the move to Brooklyn is if they go to Mets or Yankees games? Do they go to Giants or Jets games? Do they ever go to Knicks games? If the answer is "yes" to any of those, then they really do not have any excuse about the commute for Isles games. Secondly, I would ask how many games did they attend on average at Nassau Coliseum? In a previous thread someone said their season ticket base at Nassau was 3,000-3,500. Find it hard to believe all of them are that opposed.

[/B]
I couldn't agree more.

I personally would've preferred the Isles to stay in Nassau, but many of these issues that are being complained about will just take some time to get used to.

As you stated, droves of NYR fans load up the LIRR and head into Penn whenever there is a home game; it's something that fans of NYR are used to, so it really isn't a big deal to them because that's just they way it has always been. 2-3 years from now, many Isles fans will look back, longing for the quick trips to and from the Coliseum, but it'll most likely be for a fleeting moment as they head towards a new tradition they have forged in Brooklyn.

They moved less than 30 miles west. That's hardly a move at all.

I look at it this way; I'm either driving home with my friends/family sober or am riding the train home (which only adds ~20 min travel for me) with my friends/family, but slightly inebriated and with better food in my stomach ;)
It is definitely a change and will take some getting used to. Some will hate taking the train and may stop going as a result. However, there will be people to take over for them and all they'll know is the train. I moved to Nassau County when I was 10. Parents weren't into hockey, so didn't start going to Rangers games until I was old enough to get on the train and go with my friends. Went to one game as kid with my dad before we moved out to LI, and then not again until I was 17. Taking the train to the game was all I knew. Then, eventually moved to Staten Island, train wasn't practical, so started to drive. Will occasionally take the express bus, and sometimes the train from my parents in Brooklyn if I drop my daughter off there beforehand.

Secondly, there is parking around there for those that absolutely hate the train, just have to do your HW. I know the drive in is more of the problem on weeknights, that will never change. In time, you might also see Kinney, or Icon, or some of the other parking garage companies, start buying up some property around the arena and open lots/garages.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

what does this even mean? :confused: Have you ever even entered the borough? :shakehead

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Queens? How would that have mattered? If you are going to say Queens is somehow filled with Isles fans, you'd be mistaken. Have heard that misconception a few times and it simply isn't true. Just like the notion that Staten Island is somehow filled with Devils fans.

As for the 2nd point, I agree. If the vote was held on election day, it would have had a much better chance of passing. The fact that only 11% of the eligible voters voted, tells me most people didn't care if it passed either way. Thinking you had the absolute die-hard Isles fans voting and the annoying people who call around telling you to vote no on school budget votes. On election day, more of the not-so-absolute-die-hard fans would have voted since they were already at the booth and would have been more likely to vote in favor of the referendum.

My point with queens was that not all isles fans were represented in the vote. Queens wasn't going to move the needle but im sure there were fans in douglaston, bayside, Floral Park, bellerose etc who would have liked to have had a say and yet may get lumped in as blamed by some.

Truthfully my response has to be looked at in the context of Bert's blame game post for context. I was punting out things that need to be considered before making broad brush statements. That is different than advocating a position.

Yes, but the Jets fans still made the trip. I know it is different because you are talking about Sunday mornings, when there is very little if any traffic getting to the stadium.

The question I would ask the Isles fan on LI who hates the move to Brooklyn is if they go to Mets or Yankees games? Do they go to Giants or Jets games? Do they ever go to Knicks games? If the answer is "yes" to any of those, then they really do not have any excuse about the commute for Isles games. Secondly, I would ask how many games did they attend on average at Nassau Coliseum? In a previous thread someone said their season ticket base at Nassau was 3,000-3,500. Find it hard to believe all of them are that opposed.

Not all jets fans carried over to attending in jersey. The dynamic changed.

Im not much of a football live attendance guy. I only go to Knicks and nets games on occasion. Same with Devils / Rangers and Yankees. I'm. Big mets and isles fan. I like driving to games to avoid mass transit debacles going home. I go to a ton of concerts. I was previously an isles season ticket holder. I've been to 2 games this year and plan to go to 2-3 more regular season.

Not sure what the point of this is though...

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
My point with queens was that not all isles fans were represented in the vote. Queens wasn't going to move the needle but im sure there were fans in douglaston, bayside, Floral Park, bellerose etc who would have liked to have had a say and yet may get lumped in as blamed by some.

Truthfully my response has to be looked at in the context of Bert's blame game post for context. I was punting out things that need to be considered before making broad brush statements. That is different than advocating a position.

My former boss is an Islanders fan and he lives in East Brunswick, NJ. Should he have been given a vote? You are "sure" there are Isles fans in Douglaston, Bayside, etc. Why? Because they are Eastern Queens? Why would they get a say if it was the Nassau Taxpayers being effected? While, I agree there are some fans in those neighborhoods, not enough to matter on the vote. If it was a referrendum for NYC and Nassau to foot the bill, then it would have been shot down by an even wider margin.

Im not much of a football live attendance guy. I only go to Knicks and nets games on occasion. Same with Devils / Rangers and Yankees. I'm. Big mets and isles fan. I like driving to games to avoid mass transit debacles going home. I go to a ton of concerts. I was previously an isles season ticket holder. I've been to 2 games this year and plan to go to 2-3 more regular season.

When the Jets first moved, it was a lot of the same fans. Not all of them, obviously, but enough. At the time, Jersey was a Giants stronghold. In time, the Jets started drawing more from Jersey, but it wasn't an overnight change.

The point is if these people complaining are willing to make the commute for other teams/sports. If so, then the commute is just a poor excuse or they are not as big of an Islanders fan as they originally thought. I have never been to a Knicks game, and went to 3 Nets games when they were in NJ. I don't go because I do not like basketball, not because of the commute. That is a completely different animal.

Secondly, nobody in their right mind would have expected EVERY Isles STH from last season to make the move to Brooklyn. Just like some Giants fans dropped their tix when they left Yankee Stadium, some Jets fans dropped their tickets, some Devils fans dropped their tix when they moved to Newark. However, the Isles season ticket base was 3000-3500 last year and is now in the 8000 range? Uhm, I am not an accountant, but I do know a lot about math. I do not think they miss you. Especially since the 8000 are also at higher prices than the 3500.

I like driving to games, too. I hate public transportation. However, sometimes it is more convenient. My next Rangers game is March 6th. My parents are babysitting my daughter. Probably going to drop her off at their house. They live a few blocks from the D train, so will just leave car at their house and take train.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
My former boss is an Islanders fan and he lives in East Brunswick, NJ. Should he have been given a vote? You are "sure" there are Isles fans in Douglaston, Bayside, etc. Why? Because they are Eastern Queens? Why would they get a say if it was the Nassau Taxpayers being effected? While, I agree there are some fans in those neighborhoods, not enough to matter on the vote. If it was a referrendum for NYC and Nassau to foot the bill, then it would have been shot down by an even wider margin.

I grew up in bayside. I live in western Nassau. Eastern queens has its fair share of isles fans.its not the core base like Suffolk and eastern Nassau, but it's there.

I don't disagree with you, again my post needs to be looked at in context. I was providing a skeptics point of view against someone who was throwing bombs in every direction at the NYI "existing" fanbase. The Suffolk and queens fans who supported the team and couldn't vote in the referendum should get tagged with "didn't do enough to support the team and keep them on LI" come on now...

Also the vote can't be used as an effective blame tool unless you can demonstrate a compelling case that voting no on that proposal deviates from the norm of what most municipalities would have voted in a similar situation.

The existing fan base that helped NYI leave? What exactly should Barclays have done to focus more on bringing this "existing fan base" over? What hasn't been changed to accommodate the existing fan base? (i've seen tons of changes)

IMO, some of the existing fan base is holding NYI back from growing a bigger fan base in Brooklyn with all their whiny demands and criticism.

Ooops, this is the business board - um, how will the small existing fan base who didn't support NYI financially on LI for so many years be more beneficial than growing the fan base to other people like Brooklynders and those west and achieve more revenue, growth, return on investment etc?

For context^^

"The existing fanbase that helped NYI leave"

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
All I know is that those Barclays sightlines are an abomination to the sport of hockey and a slap in the face to anybody who drops their hard earned money to sit in that arena.

95% of the seats have GREAT sightlines. The 5% that are awful where you can't see one goal have multiple warnings when you buy them so you know EXACTLY what you're buying. They also cost $10. And guess what, people buy them! Some even have (super cheap) season tickets there. And I also heard that if it's a non-sellout they will move people from those seats to non-obstructed ones. Pretty cool.

The poor sightlines have been greatly exaggerated. Mainly by people that just see a picture and have never been to the arena.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I disagree with blaming the fanbase. Ownership was a disaster for years, the team was terribly mismanaged. They saw young player after young player get traded away as soon as it was time for them to get paid. I can't blame the Islanders fans for losing interest at that point. Management needed to spend money and prove to the fanbase they were committed to winning. Can't expect fans to put up money first. If the owners didn't have the money to lay out, they were in the wrong business. That doesn't even get into the lack of corporate support at the Coliseum. I hate it too, but it is part of the reality of sports these days.

Any tax pros on here know if Nassau County was the beneficiary of any Jock Taxes levied on the players? I know that is state to state, just not sure if it trickles down to the municipalities. I know Nassau doesn't have a personal income tax on residents, so wondering if that would prevent them from collecting on Jock Taxes, as well. I ask because I recently received a lesson in local taxes. We live in Staten Island, but my wife works in Jersey. They deduct state tax for her, but not city. As a result, we are getting back from the Feds, and NJ, but owe a lot to NY, mainly to the city. But, apparently, we actually pay that to the state and the state then pays the city, or something like that. I started losing interest once my accountant gave me the numbers.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think Bert is just mad that he was probably the only one who spent thousands on those teams in the 90's and early 2000's. LOL

"I wasted my money, so I'm mad at everyone who didn't!"

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Secondly, there is parking around there for those that absolutely hate the train, just have to do your HW. I know the drive in is more of the problem on weeknights, that will never change. In time, you might also see Kinney, or Icon, or some of the other parking garage companies, start buying up some property around the arena and open lots/garages.
This, x1,000. We drive in from the north shore of Suffolk county most games, including weekday games. It's never going to be the fun part of the experience, but with GPS and a little common sense, it's very doable. There is tons of parking in the area, both in garages -- some of which are both relatively close and surprisingly reasonable -- and on the street. And the trip home is easy -- we are in our front door by 11 most weeknights.

By the way, though you are clearly a Ranger fan, want to give out a shout of appreciation for your balanced take on the whole Brooklyn situation. It's all too easy for non-fans (and apparently some that claim to be fans) to take potshots at what's obviously a compromise all around. Barclays is far from the perfect solution to the arena problem. Unfortunately, it was the only realistic one left. Lots of blame and finger pointing to go around, and honestly, lots of blood on lots of people's hands. But what's the point of rehashing that time and again? Barclays is what it is, and it will be what it is for the foreseeable future because no matter how much some wish it were otherwise, at this point there's not a single in-area alternative that's anything but wishful thinking or out-and-out fantasy.

Anyway, thanks for having the back of those Islander fans that are trying to make the best of the situation, and are largely having a good time in doing so.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think Bert is just mad that he was probably the only one who spent thousands on those teams in the 90's and early 2000's. LOL

"I wasted my money, so I'm mad at everyone who didn't!"

I don't think the fans embracing the move are mad at all. The ones who hate the move however, are pretty furious.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
95% of the seats have GREAT sightlines. The 5% that are awful where you can't see one goal have multiple warnings when you buy them so you know EXACTLY what you're buying. They also cost $10. And guess what, people buy them! Some even have (super cheap) season tickets there. And I also heard that if it's a non-sellout they will move people from those seats to non-obstructed ones. Pretty cool.

The poor sightlines have been greatly exaggerated. Mainly by people that just see a picture and have never been to the arena.

I know you made it out for a game, but I doubt you actually were looking at all the seat views...You would be surprised at how many expensive seats are actually not great...I will take a pic next game of $165 seats about 10 feet from me that are horrible due to railings blocking a good portion of one zone. These are located almost center ice right by the broadcast booth. The guys who bought those seasons have been moving every game to the handicap seats so they can see. The railings in a lot of locations can be really bad, I think its due to the fact that when designed for hoops, the viewing angle changes because of the smaller court.
That being said, the majority of seats are in fact good.
The obstructed view seats, and listed as such, are a non-issue to me...buyers know what they are getting. The other quirky angles and railings in what would normally be prime seating is my main issue.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I know you made it out for a game, but I doubt you actually were looking at all the seat views...You would be surprised at how many expensive seats are actually not great...I will take a pic next game of $165 seats about 10 feet from me that are horrible due to railings blocking a good portion of one zone. These are located almost center ice right by the broadcast booth. The guys who bought those seasons have been moving every game to the handicap seats so they can see. The railings in a lot of locations can be really bad, I think its due to the fact that when designed for hoops, the viewing angle changes because of the smaller court.
That being said, the majority of seats are in fact good.
The obstructed view seats, and listed as such, are a non-issue to me...buyers know what they are getting. The other quirky angles and railings in what would normally be prime seating is my main issue.

Fair enough.

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015

Just nitpicking here, but most of Floral Park and parts of Bellerose (Bellerose Village/Bellerose Terrace) are located in Nassau County and have train stations on the Hempstead Line that goes direct to Atlantic Terminal (30-40 min ride, easy commute). And I think most of the people voted against the referendum because of the tax hike threat (even though taxes were going to go up no matter what). Also, people have to realize that there are still more Ranger fans in Nassau than Islander fans. It's close, maybe 50-50 depending on how good the teams are but the Rangers are still the team for the area. However, there are enough Isles fans to support a team though, it's an interesting situation haha.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
This, x1,000. We drive in from the north shore of Suffolk county most games, including weekday games. It's never going to be the fun part of the experience, but with GPS and a little common sense, it's very doable. There is tons of parking in the area, both in garages -- some of which are both relatively close and surprisingly reasonable -- and on the street. And the trip home is easy -- we are in our front door by 11 most weeknights.

By the way, though you are clearly a Ranger fan, want to give out a shout of appreciation for your balanced take on the whole Brooklyn situation. It's all too easy for non-fans (and apparently some that claim to be fans) to take potshots at what's obviously a compromise all around. Barclays is far from the perfect solution to the arena problem. Unfortunately, it was the only realistic one left. Lots of blame and finger pointing to go around, and honestly, lots of blood on lots of people's hands. But what's the point of rehashing that time and again? Barclays is what it is, and it will be what it is for the foreseeable future because no matter how much some wish it were otherwise, at this point there's not a single in-area alternative that's anything but wishful thinking or out-and-out fantasy.

Anyway, thanks for having the back of those Islander fans that are trying to make the best of the situation, and are largely having a good time in doing so.
Just trying to be objective and honest. First time I heard rumblings about a new arena for the Isles was in the mid-90s. Everyone pretty much agreed the County didn't have the money to build it and if they tried to do so with any kind of tax, residents would go nuts. I remember people even back then, this was just conversations, not on a message board, bringing up Queens. Saying eventually the Mets would want/need a new stadium, so why not make a mega complex? I always said if they were going to leave Nassau and head into Rangers territory, go to downtown Brooklyn. My line of thinking and still is was for the Isles fan who lives in Nassau/Suffolk, works in the city and just can't get home in time to get to a weeknight game. That guy could now take the train to Brooklyn and then home. Wouldn't have been possible at Flushing. If they were going to do Queens would need to be near Jamaica, and the only way that happens is maybe a new arena for St Johns Bball and the Isles. But, why would St Johns need a 20k seat arena? For big games, they already have the Garden.

I know Bert has numbers to dispute my belief, but I think in time they will become the bread and butter for the Isles. At least on weeknights it will be a crowd that is 1/2 after-work and 1/2 commuting in from LI. On weekends, it will be mostly those coming in from LI. Note: after-work crowd does NOT necessarily mean corporate seats or investment bankers bringing clients. I am talking about the regular guy who is a fan, after work goes to dinner and then to the game. Has his own seats, with his own money. Could even be a small business owner who has the seats in his company's name for tax purposes.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Just trying to be objective and honest. First time I heard rumblings about a new arena for the Isles was in the mid-90s. Everyone pretty much agreed the County didn't have the money to build it and if they tried to do so with any kind of tax, residents would go nuts. I remember people even back then, this was just conversations, not on a message board, bringing up Queens. Saying eventually the Mets would want/need a new stadium, so why not make a mega complex? I always said if they were going to leave Nassau and head into Rangers territory, go to downtown Brooklyn. My line of thinking and still is was for the Isles fan who lives in Nassau/Suffolk, works in the city and just can't get home in time to get to a weeknight game. That guy could now take the train to Brooklyn and then home. Wouldn't have been possible at Flushing. If they were going to do Queens would need to be near Jamaica, and the only way that happens is maybe a new arena for St Johns Bball and the Isles. But, why would St Johns need a 20k seat arena? For big games, they already have the Garden.

I know Bert has numbers to dispute my belief, but I think in time they will become the bread and butter for the Isles. At least on weeknights it will be a crowd that is 1/2 after-work and 1/2 commuting in from LI. On weekends, it will be mostly those coming in from LI. Note: after-work crowd does NOT necessarily mean corporate seats or investment bankers bringing clients. I am talking about the regular guy who is a fan, after work goes to dinner and then to the game. Has his own seats, with his own money. Could even be a small business owner who has the seats in his company's name for tax purposes.

So pretty much you are describing me... I work in the city and I live walking distance to the Stewart Manor Station on the Hempstead line. I like going to mets games and NVMC and I hate doing the grind you described for Barclays. It's too long of a day to do on a regular basis. At Nassau I could go home first and eat a quick dinner. For the mets I park at citi field in the Morning and take the 7 train in. Both are a lot better than the Marathon Brooklyn day you describe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad