Was Lindros one of the dirtiest players of all time

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I’ve never seen a highlight reel of one guy making giving this many brutal headshots. I understand a lot of this is him retaliating for stuff we don’t see in these videos but is Lindros extremely underrated dirty player? You’re probably going to have to post a video to convince me. Scott Stevens was an angel compared to this guy.
See 1:35, 2:15,2:55,3:24,4:20,4:29,7:10,7:35,8:35,9:18,9:38,9:55,10:30,11:48,12:25 . The bold ones are particularly bad.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
In an era that contained the likes of Marchment, Kasparaitis, McSorley, Domi, Hunter, Lemieux, Tucker, Samuelsson and Simon, I think it's pretty tough to pinpoint and single dirtiest player of the 90s, never mind of all time.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think Lindros is even close to being one of the dirtiest players of all time. He is probably the most physical, offensively gifted player of all time though.

With respect to your observations about head shots; head shots weren't really considered so dirty back when he played. The NHL had no awareness of things like concussion protocol - these are more recent things. Add to that the fact that Lindros was a pretty big guy, and what would normally be a clean hit for most people might often become a head-shot when he delivers it.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Lindros was definitely not the dirtiest player of all tine, not even dirtiest of his era.

Many (if not most) of those Lindos highlight hits above were considered just as good hits back then, not especially dirty.

They may look dirty now, but 90's was a different era with different playing style. Rock 'em, Sock' em hockey.

Reactions: mmvvpp and NNCbama

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lindros was a physical force in a very physical era when he was not injured. I never considered him dirty. Just a wrecking ball. He destroyed one of the Senators back in the late 90s. I think it was Dackell or Arvidsson.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Dirtier among "star" players, sure, but I don't think just in his era he even holds a candle to guys like Marchment and Suter...

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Lindros was out to hurt guys with what were then considered "clean" hits. The same could be said for 100 other guys of the same era, though. The thing is if he would've dialed it down a little he wouldn't have had half the league out for retribution for the last eight years of his career.

My Best-Carey

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, this is one you gotta watch the players relative to their era. Lindros was just bigger and stronger than anyone else.

Matt Cooke I always thought was a piece of garbage. Raffi Torres also did a lot of bullshit stuff.

Reactions: Tarantula

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I don't think Lindros is even close to being one of the dirtiest players of all time. He is probably the most physical, offensively gifted player of all time though.

With respect to your observations about head shots; head shots weren't really considered so dirty back when he played. The NHL had no awareness of things like concussion protocol - these are more recent things. Add to that the fact that Lindros was a pretty big guy, and what would normally be a clean hit for most people might often become a head-shot when he delivers it.
I talking about the stuff where he drives what appears to be a small child’s head into the ice with his elbow or head butts Scott Stevens or punches a guy in the face while he’s laying flat on his back. There so many dirty hits in thous highlights it’s all most pointless to single out anyone.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Highlight videos don't do anyone justice to their career. If you take any player's 20 biggest hits and put them into a five minute video, they're going to seem like a vicious hitter. But if that's all you have out of a 1000 game career, then what were they really? Lindros definitely imposed his will physically in the first 2-3 seasons, but after that he was much more focused on his skill game. He was a bad dude for sure, but as has been mentioned repeatedly here, that was pretty much the game at that time, and it was pretty incredible.

I like the mention of making Stevens look relatively soft, since most people view their relationship as Stevens KOing Lindros and assume that he owned Lindros, but for the better part of their careers Lindros got the best of Stevens physically.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd call him careless and reckless (rather than dirty) if we're trying to keep an all-time perspective on things. I'm trying to think of a super dirty play by Lindros and, really, the only one that comes to mind is his hit on Andreas Dackell.

Reactions: DaveG

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Lindros was out to hurt guys with what were then considered "clean" hits. The same could be said for 100 other guys of the same era, though. The thing is if he would've dialed it down a little he wouldn't have had half the league out for retribution for the last eight years of his career.

My Best-Carey
If you watch that video there probably 10 hits where he literally punch's guy in the face/head butts/ drives a guys head into the ice. He really is under rated for dirtiness. I can’t find another video on YouTube close to that.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I'd call him careless and reckless (rather than dirty) if we're trying to keep an all-time perspective on things. I'm trying to think of a super dirty play by Lindros and, really, the only one that comes to mind is his hit on Andreas Dackell.
Dude just check out the video. The Dackell is nothing compared to some of the stuff in terms of dirty plays. That’s just a late hard hit.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Highlight videos don't do anyone justice to their career. If you take any player's 20 biggest hits and put them into a five minute video, they're going to seem like a vicious hitter. But if that's all you have out of a 1000 game career, then what were they really? Lindros definitely imposed his will physically in the first 2-3 seasons, but after that he was much more focused on his skill game. He was a bad dude for sure, but as has been mentioned repeatedly here, that was pretty much the game at that time, and it was pretty incredible.

I like the mention of making Stevens look relatively soft, since most people view their relationship as Stevens KOing Lindros and assume that he owned Lindros, but for the better part of their careers Lindros got the better of Stevens physically.

Gunslingers are remembered for the one loss.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I mean, this is the League that Lindros lived in. If you wanted to hit people (and why wouldn't he, given his size?), you were going to get hit and sometimes in highly dangerous, illegal ways.

For example, one of the worst hockey hits I've ever seen -- Gino Odjick on Lindros, New Year's Eve 1997:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Definitely a generation raised on leaded gas.
I believe the reason the 70s-to-late-90s (?) "goon" era happened in the first place is that the NHL is -- inevitably -- the slowest major sports League to protect talented, 'star' players from being crippled. Nobody even tried to referee NHL games according to the rule-book until 2005. Since the refs (League) weren't going to protect million-dollar athletes from injury and illegal hits, the "goons" were required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad