Was Lindros one of the dirtiest players of all time

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Man oh man, that Ohjick double cheap shot is worse than anything Bertuzzi ever did. Ditto for most of the guys thread.

And the Dimaio hit is just scary... hard to watch. Lindros is up there with Bobby Clarke and Messier for goonery from guys with genuine talent.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Lindros could have literally killed or paralyzed DiMaio with that hit. The back of DiMaio's head slammed right on the ice. It's a miracle DiMaio was even able to get up and be helped to the bench.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Man oh man, that Ohjick double cheap shot is worse than anything Bertuzzi ever did. Ditto for most of the guys thread.
If you watch the rest of that highlight pack, Odjick does the same thing -- again -- later in the game, to another Flyer who has fallen and has his head down.

All class was Gino Odjick. But again, it's a fault that the NHL basically allowed this kind of thing to occur. Like, after the first murder-attempt on Lindros as he was head-down on the ice, how the heck is Odjick not expelled from the game? Idiocy.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
In an era that contained the likes of Marchment, Kasparaitis, McSorley, Domi, Hunter, Lemieux, Tucker, Samuelsson and Simon, I think it's pretty tough to pinpoint and single dirtiest player of the 90s, never mind of all time.
Kasparaitis was abrasive but not particularly dirty, especially compared to the guys you mentioned. At least I think so.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Kasparaitis was abrasive but not particularly dirty, especially compared to the guys you mentioned. At least I think so.
Maybe not dirty to the degree that those guys were. But a bit predatory, or opportunistic if you prefer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, he was more a product of his era, and within it, I wouldn't consider him an overly dirty player.

If he didn't play an ultra physical game with his size, especially in a market like Philly, and especially how that team was moulded, he would have been viciously criticized.

The post Philly lindros was a different story though..... A much less engaged player after multiple concussions.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
The post Philly lindros was a different story though..... A much less engaged player after multiple concussions.
Night and day for good reason, to be sure. I recall his first game against Toronto, Chris Neil got in his face after a whistle and started jostling. Lindros did nothing. A younger Lindros would have fed Neil his teeth.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I’ve never seen a highlight reel of one guy making giving this many brutal headshots. I understand a lot of this is him retaliating for stuff we don’t see in these videos but is Lindros extremely underrated dirty player? You’re probably going to have to post a video to convince me. Scott Stevens was an angel compared to this guy.
See 1:35, 2:15,2:55,3:24,4:20,4:29,7:10,7:35,8:35,9:18,9:38,9:55,10:30,11:48,12:25 . The bold ones are particularly bad.

Headshots were the accepted norm in those days. Lindros was intimidating, much bigger than very physical, but I would not consider him among the upper echelon of "dirty" players.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If that's one of the most violent things you've seen in hockey, .

Yes seeing a 6 foot 5 behemoth body slam another player down onto the ice is one of the most violent things I’ve seen in this sport.

I guess you probably haven't seen a whole lot

What is this like the passive aggressive boomer version of “you’re not a real fan”? :laugh:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
No, dirtiest star player of all time is Messier [MOD], followed closely by [MOD] Bobby Clarke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Acallabeth

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
it was a different hockey culture back then. nowadays dirty means intentionally hitting guys in the head.

in lindros' day it really meant more going after guys' knees or being "careless" with your stick high. hitting from behind was really just starting to be considered dirty, and even that was more of a second half of the 90s phenomenon.

none of those things were things lindros did much. he ran you through the boards and he mostly did it in a way that at the time was considered fair and square.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, he was more a product of his era, and within it, I wouldn't consider him an overly dirty player.

If he didn't play an ultra physical game with his size, especially in a market like Philly, and especially how that team was moulded, he would have been viciously criticized.

Yep, definitely by design as well. I remember with the Rangers when he broke Thorton's orbital... he did not seem to "want" to drop them in that fight like he used to, Thornton took a fair few whack at him before he did, and I think Joe dropped them first strangely.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No, Lindros did what a a fair number of guys were doing but with more force. There were certainly dirtier players in that era as mentioned. I'm surprised to see Messier mentioned so often but Chelios only once. Shout out to Sprague Cleghorn as well.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->