Was Lindros one of the dirtiest players of all time

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's fair to remember Peter himself was not always a fair player, so his judgement could be a bit clouded on this.

Forsberg was a grumpy in-your-face player who would give and take in the physical department, but he wasn't a dirty player. A rough player, yeah, but not particularly dirty at all.

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
Forsberg was a grumpy in-your-face player who would give and take in the physical department, but he wasn't a dirty player. A rough player, yeah, but not particularly dirty at all.

Oh, that's a bright side of his style. I remember a lot of slashes, trips and nasty moments too. Basically, Forsberg was tough and sometimes very, very dirty. And this guy agrees:

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
Forsberg praised Lindros and you bashed Forsberg?

I didn't bash anyone, and Forsberg didn't praise Lindros. He pointed out Lindros was never dirty. And I pointed out Peter may not be the best person to judge this, as his dirty play perception levels could be slightly shifted due to his own style of play that was at times borderline dirty.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I didn't bash anyone, and Forsberg didn't praise Lindros. He pointed out Lindros was never dirty. And I pointed out Peter may not be the best person to judge this, as his dirty play perception levels could be slightly shifted due to his own style of play that was at times borderline dirty.
that is pretty much praise right there

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
and sometimes very, very dirty.
at times borderline dirty.

"very, very" and "borderline" are two substantially different things. You're saying he was both, interchangeably?

Forsberg was never very, very dirty. He could be a bit dirty sometimes, sure, but in that era it was really nothing. And he wouldn't have been considered a dangerous cheap shot artist today either.

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
"very, very" and "borderline" are two substantially different things. You're saying he was both, interchangeably?

Forsberg was never very, very dirty. He could be a bit dirty sometimes, sure, but in that era it was really nothing. And he wouldn't have been considered a dangerous cheap shot artist today either.

No, they're not substantially different things. They're different levels of the same thing.

Momentarily, he could be very, very dirty. Anyone remembers him driving the opposing player into the board right next to the bench and deliberately pushing his head against the outer edge of the glass at full speed? That was very, very dirty. And very, very dangerous.

Overall, borderline dirty. And of course, it wasn't a defining quality of Forsberg as a player, but it was there.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
They're different levels of the same thing.

You can say this about a friendly bitch slap and hitting someone as hard as you can right on the nose too, different levels of same thing, namely hand-to-face violence. Though the force behind, target and context always matter. So not buying this kind of reasoning.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Lindros was a very undisciplined player who was the worst target to provoke, but FWIW of him, his hits were remarkably clean for a 90s 6'5 superphysical monster. Just compare him to Messier.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
You can say this about a friendly ***** slap and hitting someone as hard as you can right on the nose too, different levels of same thing, namely hand-to-face violence. Though the force behind, target and context always matter. So not buying this kind of reasoning.

By nature, a friendly slap is not a hand-to-face violence, i.e. the intent to inflict hurt, pain and damage, and couldn't really be "sold" as such. So no wonder you're not buying my artful piece of reasoning with the help of an analogy this flawed. :laugh:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
By nature, a friendly slap is not a hand-to-face violence, i.e. the intent to inflict hurt, pain and damage, and couldn't really be "sold" as such. So no wonder you're not buying my artful piece of reasoning with the help of an analogy this flawed. :laugh:

The nature of how you hit someone matters on the pain inflicted. Try to hurt someone really bad with an open palm. Unless you're a karate virtuoso it wont bring much shit. Then try with your hand closed.

Artful piece of reasoning? It sounds to me you're trying to pitch a black and white reasoning, I'm more of a grayscale guy myself ( :cool: ).

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
The nature of how you hit someone matters on the pain inflicted. Try to hurt someone really bad with an open palm. Unless you're a karate virtuoso it wont bring much ****. Then try with your hand closed.

Artful piece of reasoning? It sounds to me you're trying to pitch a black and white reasoning, I'm more of a grayscale guy myself ( :cool: ).

My point was, violence is an act of inflicting pain and damage. So a soft friendly slap is not an act of violence by any means.

As an aside though, you're plain wrong about palm strikes. They can be just as brutal and in many ways more damaging than punches. French martial art Savate incorporates good old slaps for reason, and a well aimed slap on the ear can result in a ruptured eardrum.

Beware of getting slapped.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
People in general don't do savate, you know this.

ebb82364f2e1a165baeb98829aa03b23.jpg

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Kasparaitis wasn't dirty, he was awesome, he had European class and tried to keep it clean as far as it was possible. Usually he was actually responding to bullshit from the other player (Lemieux comes to mind).

Any way, below is him destroying Lindros. I find it funny how they're all cheering on the Pens bench afterwards. :laugh: Look at the audience going crazy as well. Back when hockey was better...

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kasparaitis wasn't dirty, he was awesome, he had European class and tried to keep it clean as far as it was possible. Usually he was actually responding to bull**** from the other player (Lemieux comes to mind).

Any way, below is him destroying Lindros. I find it funny how they're all cheering on the Pens bench afterwards. :laugh: Look at the audience going crazy as well. Back when hockey was better...

Right or wrong, a lot of players were happy when he got a taste of his own medicine. That's saying it mildly. And the great thing about the Kasparaitis hit was it was textbook clean, even by today's standards.

My Best-Carey

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Right or wrong, a lot of players were happy when he got a taste of his own medicine. That's saying it mildly. And the great thing about the Kasparaitis hit was it was textbook clean, even by today's standards.

My Best-Carey

Yeah, the only wrong thing on that hit is Lindros skating with his head down. He takes the blame for that, not Kasp.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Kasparaitis wasn't dirty, he was awesome, he had European class and tried to keep it clean as far as it was possible. Usually he was actually responding to bull**** from the other player (Lemieux comes to mind).

Today that would be interference. But other than that, that was a textbook clean hit. No headshot, through the body. Puck was in his area but nowadays that’s too far gone if possession

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I would find it difficult to classify Lindros as more dirty than Marchment, to pick one guy who had a more or less overlapping career. Marchment destroyed the knees of 3 or 4 guys in just one season, and he did it on purpose. Few others who were definitely worse. Purinton. Hunter. Pilon. I'd say Messier, but he was a lot tamer in the 90s.

Edit: thinking about this, Lindros probably wasn't even the dirtiest 6'5 all-star in his age range. I recall Derian Hatcher being far worse. Hit everybody 5 seconds late, leading with either his elbow pad or his stick at chin height. Plus, if you had a problem with Lindros, he'd usually fight you, whoever you were. Hatcher was more of a spot-picker, where he was very interested if you were small and not so interested if you were his size.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Lindros was out to hurt guys with what were then considered "clean" hits. The same could be said for 100 other guys of the same era, though.

Yeah, there were a ton of these guys. Steve Webb, Tyson Nash, Vaclav Varada. I probably can't remember a tenth of them. Guy would come up, play the Rinaldo game for a few years, then disappear.

In retrospect, it's pretty crazy that teams carrying a few players whose purpose was to injure people (largely within the rules) was commonplace, but it was a thing. Lindros reputation was "big and scary" not "dirty" per se, at least not compared to some of the pinballs skating a regular shift, to say nothing of psychos like Simon or Bertuzzi.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
My point was, violence is an act of inflicting pain and damage. So a soft friendly slap is not an act of violence by any means.

As an aside though, you're plain wrong about palm strikes. They can be just as brutal and in many ways more damaging than punches. French martial art Savate incorporates good old slaps for reason, and a well aimed slap on the ear can result in a ruptured eardrum.

Beware of getting slapped.

Actually a simple touch on te knee or hip when going around a corner will cause a spill that may result in an injury. Watch short track speed skaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad