Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It's over the pennies at this point. Burke weighed in on how negotiations go with that greaseball of an agent and he made outrageous demands up until the last 2 days where he finally came down to earth with his demands and they managed to get it done when this all went down with Gaudreau.
Seems like this particular agent plays chicken every time and he always blinks first because his clients recently are fresh off ELC and have no bargaining power.

If Dubas caved and gave in people would be going crazy and people are still going crazy even though he is sticking by his guns. Cant win with leaf fans sometimes lol

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I just want a nice season lol all our pieces ready to go, and start winning.

Not hearing even the slightest noise from this negotiation, is starting to drive me mad lol

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
oh the drama

I don’t like kyper but I agree with him the leafs can’t give you 8 so if your not gonna go down to 6-7 your gonna on your way out. And the way is see it is only teams willing to give 8 is gonna be basement teams so you gonna go 8 on a bottom feeder or 6 on a contender make your choice.

Reactions: DarkKnight

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
how long is flight from sweden to toronto, whens the last min willy can sign to make opening night
I highly doubt Babcock will put him in the opening night lineup even if he signs as I'm writing this post. He's missed all of camp with his teammates and hasn't been skating with NHL players. If he signs today my bet is he plays a week into the season at the earliest. Babcock would reward guys that were at camp and worked their asses off then.

Reactions: Confucius

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
how long is flight from sweden to toronto, whens the last min willy can sign to make opening night

i may be wrong but isn't it 5 pm today

only the opening night roster has the freeze on it, every other game you can make changes up until nearly the last minute

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t like kyper but I agree with him the leafs can’t give you 8 so if your not gonna go down to 6-7 your gonna on your way out. And the way is see it is only teams willing to give 8 is gonna be basement teams so you gonna go 8 on a bottom feeder or 6 on a contender make your choice.
I thought his analysis was spot on too, if you want to be here on a great team take the money and get on with it. This story is getting old fast now.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Still plenty of day left, but looks like Nylander won’t be signed in time for the start.

He’s the one losing money at this point.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
its amazing how little a guy who played within and gets paid to talk about the business of hockey knows about the business of hockey. Really wish we would stop endowing ex players with media positions if they're not good at it

I dont think he said anything wrong; I quite agree. Take what is offered, if not go elsewhere, Plain and simple.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I thought his analysis was spot on too, if you want to be here on a great team take the money and get on with it. This story is getting old fast now.
I can sort of see Nylander's argument, but here's the problem: He has literally no leverage. Sounds like the Leafs have taken a firm stance on their offer and are fine to stand pat. Each day that goes by now only hurts Nylander financially, around $35,000 a day with his contract projections. Good on the Leafs to stand pat, as they should with all their RFA's. If you want to play on a competitive team for a long time you have to sign fair contracts. They have to be the same way with Marner and Matthews. You cannot let inmates run the asylum.
For the record, I know how important Nylander is to this team now, and in the future. I 150% do not want to move him, but if a team calls with a top 4 RHD etc then at some point they may start listening.

Reactions: Slot

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm just amazed at how little real information we've had during this process, especially these past few days. You would think a detail or here would leak at this point but nothing, just endless opinion tweets and articles.

Reactions: freshwind

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm just amazed at how little real information we've had during this process, especially these past few days. You would think a detail or here would leak at this point but nothing, just endless opinion tweets and articles.

Dubas has learned the cone of silence move from Lou very well

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I can sort of see Nylander's argument, but here's the problem: He has literally no leverage. Sounds like the Leafs have taken a firm stance on their offer and are fine to stand pat. Each day that goes by now only hurts Nylander financially, around $35,000 a day with his contract projections. Good on the Leafs to stand pat, as they should with all their RFA's. If you want to play on a competitive team for a long time you have to sign fair contracts. They have to be the same way with Marner and Matthews. You cannot let inmates run the asylum.
For the record, I know how important Nylander is to this team now, and in the future. I 150% do not want to move him, but if a team calls with a top 4 RHD etc then at some point they may start listening.
Sure he has a point, problem is on this teams he 4th or 5th most important forward and management can’t move from that reality. Also, I believe low 6 is a very fair offer, the comparable date there as well, so it’s not like some massive concession.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
I disagree
Some teams are real thirsty
They will suck him up

Agreed, there are a lot of teams that would take him even at 8.

I think the writing was on the wall when Tavares signed. What it comes down to is this: who do you think will be a playoff warrior and lead the team to a cup? Tavares or Nylander?
Most people would say Tavares, myself included. It was the right move to make, as tough a pill it is to swallow to lose Nylander he needs to be signed and traded for picks and prospects in order to help feed our top 3 with support for the duration of the Tavares contract. Keep in mind these picks and prospects can be moved for depth UFA's over the years as well, we don't have to wait for them to develop.

The core of this team is Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly and Andersen. No one outside of those 5 should be making more than 5 million per. Depth is important - look at what happened to Chicago.

If all we get out of Matthews, Marner, Tavares and the picks and prospects received for Nylander is one Stanley Cup then it was worth it in the end. I think shipping out Nylander in order to have more depth is the way to do it.

Great Post and totally agree. Nylander needs to be traded, the sooner the better.

Reactions: Crysis

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I dont think he said anything wrong; I quite agree. Take what is offered, if not go elsewhere, Plain and simple.
the suggestion to negotiate in the media and interpretation that there are only those two options are absurd, and there's no reason that another team would give Nylander 8M when his multiple comparables (Ehlers, Larkin, Pastrnak) have all been in the same low-to-mid $6M range, that establishes a pattern of behavior from multiple teams that is likely to form the precedent for Nylander's deal.

I'm of the opinion that you let him sit at home until he's ready to sign for his market value, the Leafs have all the leverage unless someone in the KHL/SHL is willing to give him in the realm of the same money that he would make here

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think the writing was on the wall when Tavares signed. What it comes down to is this: who do you think will be a playoff warrior and lead the team to a cup? Tavares or Nylander?
Most people would say Tavares, myself included. It was the right move to make, as tough a pill it is to swallow to lose Nylander he needs to be signed and traded for picks and prospects in order to help feed our top 3 with support for the duration of the Tavares contract. Keep in mind these picks and prospects can be moved for depth UFA's over the years as well, we don't have to wait for them to develop.

The core of this team is Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly and Andersen. No one outside of those 5 should be making more than 5 million per. Depth is important - look at what happened to Chicago.

If all we get out of Matthews, Marner, Tavares and the picks and prospects received for Nylander is one Stanley Cup then it was worth it in the end. I think shipping out Nylander in order to have more depth is the way to do it.

Look what happened to Chicago? They won 3 cups in 5 years. I... uh... think i’d be happy with those results from the leafs.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, sure...it's always tomorrow.

Vintage Free Beer Tomorrow Metal Sign - Jooinn
vintage-free-beer-tomorrow-metal-sign.jpg

vintage-free-beer-tomorrow-metal-sign.html

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
How many have they won since they signed those big contracts for Toews and Kane?
On their previous contracts (where they won the three cups) they took up almost the same percentage of the cap hit. It’s only slightly higher since they signed their new contracts. I looked quickly at Kane, and he made 12% of the cap when he signed his 2010 contract. And 14% when he signed his 2015 contract.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Chicago’s problem wasn’t Kane’s contract. It was Toews not living up to his, and Seabrook not living up to his. And even after that they still were a good team for the two years after they signed those deals, just couldn’t get it done in the playoffs.

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
Big news guys! I can't reveal my sources but I can guarantee that Nylander might play opening night against the Habs :laugh:

In all seriousness, I just want to move on from this. As others have said, the Leafs have all the leverage. I'm not worried....just annoyed that it has taken this long.

Go Leafs Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad