Speculation: War and Peace Chapter 9: The Nylander Saga Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
“In Detroit, we tried to get our guys to take less so we could have championship opportunity… If you don’t do that, you can’t win at the end”

We know that, in the hard cap era, the salary cap is a constant part of the conversation and the debate. We talk about it all the time on this show. As a coach, how does that affect how you have conversations with Kyle? Can you just walk up and say, “I want this guy?” Or, is it, “Here is why I want this guy, but also because of the cap ramifications, here is how it might factor into the overall conversation?” How often does the cap come up with you?
Babcock
:

[Brandon Pridham] is our cap guy so we are talking about this stuff all the time. The business is the business. When you sit down at your kitchen table and there is a rhubarb pie there and one of you takes half the pie, there is half left for the rest of us. That is just how it goes. We all understand that. What we have to do is treat the players as fairly as possible.
I really like what Tavares did. He came here and took way less to come here. That’s what we tried to do with all of our guys in Detroit – we tried to get them to take less so we could continue to win on a nightly basis and have championship opportunity. If you don’t do that, you can’t win at the end. You run out of money and you can’t have enough depth. Right now, we are set up real well, I believe, to have a real five-year run here. We’ve got to do a good job with the cap and our signings, without any question. We will. We will be able to keep our group together and give ourselves a chance and grow into the team we want to be.

That’s a segue into William Nylander and his situation. There are contract talks ongoing. The season starts Wednesday night. Looking back on camp, without him here, how did you adjust camp? How did that factor into the way you played out the preseason?
Babcock
: What I tried to do is put everyone in their real spot. What I mean by that is I planned on Willy being in the lineup. But we gave Leivo and Ennis an unbelievable opportunity that they might not have got. They might have shared that opportunity with Naz instead of both getting a real good opportunity. By doing so, it is way easier. Anybody who has played will tell you when you’re not sure and spend too much thinking, you don’t play as good. When you are on a line every day and you know where you’re at, you get a chance for your skill to come out.
I thought Leivs had one of his best games at the end. I thought Ennis was good as well. He got to play on a good line and he provided some good speed and made some good plays on it. To me, that works out fine.
I am not trying to say anybody replaces Willy. We’d love to have Willy back. There are ongoing negotiations, obviously, between his side and our side. They’ll find a way to get it worked out.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone would think that Nylander would the the "fix" to a slow start for the Leafs, especially his agent. There's literally zero leverage here for them. Do they not see who the other forwards are on the team? Does he really believe he's a difference maker on this team?

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not sure why anyone would think that Nylander would the the "fix" to a slow start for the Leafs, especially his agent. There's literally zero leverage here for them. Do they not see who the other forwards are on the team? Does he really believe he's a difference maker on this team?
Yea he is
He is silk butter
Smooth as a babes bum

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
oh the drama

Kipper is ridiculous. Just spouts off. The one thing they got right was the fact that the leafs have probably the best group in regards to cap management. They'll figure it out. Once the game gets going and the leafs get to winning, nylander will feel the need to sign and not get left behind.

To willy: you've scored 60 points twice. You haven't earned 8 mil yet. Maybe someday you will. But as of now you don't deserve more than pastranak

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
oh the drama

Kyperios is the new Glenn Healy. Loud mouthed fool who thinks he is credible insider. If nylander wanted 8m and did not care for the leafs he would have either signed a offersheet (he could have been offered one and didnt sign) or he could tell the leafs to trade him. He is still working on a deal with us. Sucks that it's taken this long but we have to trust the player and management to get a solution

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kyperios is the new Glenn Healy. Loud mouthed fool who thinks he is credible insider. If nylander wanted 8m and did not care for the leafs he would have either signed a offersheet (he could have been offered one and didnt sign) or he could tell the leafs to trade him. He is still working on a deal with us. Sucks that it's taken this long but we have to trust the player and management to get a solution
It's over the pennies at this point. Burke weighed in on how negotiations go with that greaseball of an agent and he made outrageous demands up until the last 2 days where he finally came down to earth with his demands and they managed to get it done when this all went down with Gaudreau.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Completely agree. I use to enjoy Kypreos. Now I find him a big windbag. At this point, I wonder if it is best for the Leafs to bridge him 3 years for 4-5 million per. Use the extra cap space for the next three years and go for it now. Gives them three years to find a potential replacement. Wingers aren't that hard to find.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
how long is flight from sweden to toronto, whens the last min willy can sign to make opening night

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Since Tavares took "way less" to come here. What would have been a fair deal for him?

It's likely that he actually did receive a $13M offer from San Jose. He took less to come here, plain and simple.

Now nobody's expecting Willy to leave that much on the table, but $6.25M can't be that bad given your comparable.

Reactions: dsred

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Looks like Nylander is going to see if he's missed and if that puts pressure on Dubas.

Wrong move.

Any teams with some extra top RHD ?

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I think the writing was on the wall when Tavares signed. What it comes down to is this: who do you think will be a playoff warrior and lead the team to a cup? Tavares or Nylander?
Most people would say Tavares, myself included. It was the right move to make, as tough a pill it is to swallow to lose Nylander he needs to be signed and traded for picks and prospects in order to help feed our top 3 with support for the duration of the Tavares contract. Keep in mind these picks and prospects can be moved for depth UFA's over the years as well, we don't have to wait for them to develop.

The core of this team is Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly and Andersen. No one outside of those 5 should be making more than 5 million per. Depth is important - look at what happened to Chicago.

If all we get out of Matthews, Marner, Tavares and the picks and prospects received for Nylander is one Stanley Cup then it was worth it in the end. I think shipping out Nylander in order to have more depth is the way to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad