Wallstedt or Cossa or both?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
at some point Yzerman is going to spend a serious asset on a goalie. He's always emphasized that with his teams in Tampa.

Trade or UFA market are also good options.

I would look on those deep goalie factories to steal some extra guy there, when they have too many.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Something tells me you'd never have him at 6th. ;)

If you trust your scouts enough to have him at 6th, I think you take him. Picked five random drafts, 04-08, and getting a top6 forward or top4D wasn't exactly a sure thing in that group of spots of 6-10. Outside of an abnormally deep draft, I'm not sure you're rolling the dice much more that the pick works out.

I also think how GMs view drafting goalies is slowly shifting. It seems that what used to be a thing where you blew a 4th or 5th rounder on one every year to see if they pan out has become something where the top goalie talent in a draft is gone in the third. You're right that this is only a discussion now because we've also seen some freakish talents the past few years, but if we want to really go after a goalie I think we're going to have to get comfortable with spending some more serious capital than a mid-late rounder.

For what it's worth, I would have a hard time going Wallstedt at 6th, too. I think he's likely to be the guy with the highest ceiling there, though, and the most likely guy to over play his draft slot. Considering how we're not winning the draft lotto pretty consistently taking that homerun swing becomes a bit more appealing for me. I really wish we had a spot in that 11-15 area, as that would be my sweet spot for grabbing him.

No I could absolutely see Wallstedt being ranked 6th, and wouldnt really argue much if people thought that. It might be a little high for me but hes obviouly a high calibre player. The issue is that an 18 year old goalie at that spot is so risky that I wouldnt be surprised at all if the following season, he wasnt nearly as highly thought of.

And I think youre kind of missing my point. 6-10 a top 6 forward or top 4 d isnt a guarantee at all at that point in the draft. But the chances of getting those in the second or third are ridiculously more rare than getting a similar calibre goalie in the second or third. You dont really get first line centers outside of the top 10 outside of a few really rare exceptions. Starting goalies that can outperform first round goalies come out of the later rounds quite often. Anywhere in the draft, youre not guaranteed to get a good player. It just makes way more sense to use high end draft capital on positions outside of a goaltender because starting quality goalies can be found way easier in later rounds or free agency.

I can even get behind (and actually really like) the idea of using a second first rounder on a goalie. But until you get into the 15-20 range, the risk vs reward makes absolutely no sense to take a goalie. Like even a stud like Carey Price has one season where he was considered the actual best goalie in the league. He has one other season where he was voted top 3 for the Vezina. Youve got a bunch of other seasons where he wasnt even a top 10 goalie season to season. It shows how volatile the position is, even once youre established. Forget about as an actual prospect

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
You guys can likely acquire a starting goalie via free agency or trade. Freddie Andersen will bring a calming presence in net for you or maybe even someone like Braden Holtby.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
You guys can likely acquire a starting goalie via free agency or trade. Freddie Andersen will bring a calming presence in net for you or maybe even someone like Braden Holtby.

I'd take Bernier back in a hearbeat over either one of those two at this point. I'd take Bernier back regardless as I think right now he's one of the most underrated goalies in the league playing the way he has the past two seasons with the atrocious d corp he's had in front of him. This discussion here is longer term, Andersen and Holtby aren't long term solutions, like Bernier isn't a long term solution..

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
BOTH won't happen, and would be insanely stupid if it did. That said, Wallstedt if he is around at 23. Cossa at 52.

This team needs to fill too many holes in front of the net and more and more netminders will be selected less and less with top/early picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings take skaters with the first 3-5 picks or, at least in the first 3.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
BOTH won't happen, and would be insanely stupid if it did. That said, Wallstedt if he is around at 23. Cossa at 52.

I'm not sure anyone is seriously saying we should take goalies with our first two picks. That's wild. Even for me.

But there's zero chance either goalie is available where you slotted them. You either pony up the cost for one of the top goalies in the draft or you gamble on the leftovers. The reason the top goalie prospects are so valuable, and get taken in the first round, is that they take much of the risk out of drafting that position.

If I had to project the top young goalies today, it would be Knight, Oettinger, and (of course) Askarov. All three are 1st rounders. All three already cutting their teeth in pro hockey.

Maybe Swayman enters the conversation soon, though. He's kind of that dream snag for a 4th rounder. Thus the allure of gambling later.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I had to project the top young goalies today, it would be Knight, Oettinger, and (of course) Askarov. All three are 1st rounders. All three already cutting their teeth in pro hockey.

Just grab a Sorokin/Shesterkin in the 3rd/4th round and we're fine. :)

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's true. A snappy 7 years after the draft you'll have a competent tandem goalie ready to go.

Ugh.... you're just going to keep at this til we draft a goalie in the 1st, huh?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ugh.... you're just going to keep at this til we draft a goalie in the 1st, huh?

First off, we're in a thread about goalies. Surprise, I'm taking about goalies.

Second, you act like I said anything remotely controversial. You can absolutely find 1st line talent in the 2nd round, right? It's just the odds go way down. Goalies are kinda like that now, too. You can absolutely find a great starter in the later rounds, and if that happens wonderful, but the odds seem to be going down in recent years you'll get that starter ready to go by age 22 in round 5. The really impressive guys are going earlier than they used to... That's it. That's my entire thing. A shift in scouting and drafting may require a change in thinking when you draft a goalie.

Yzerman clearly values the position more than many here, and that's good enough for me. He probably won't take Wonderwall this year, I'm aware of that and totally fine with it (don't love him as much as Askarov ya know), but he'll swing something eventually.

BTW you might want to check my vote in the mock today. Maybe that will help sooth your weary soul.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
First off, we're in a thread about goalies. Surprise, I'm taking about goalies.

Second, you act like I said anything remotely controversial. You can absolutely find 1st line talent in the 2nd round, right? It's just the odds go way down. Goalies are kinda like that now, too. You can absolutely find a great starter in the later rounds, and if that happens wonderful, but the odds seem to be going down in recent years you'll get that starter ready to go by age 22 in round 5. The really impressive guys are going earlier than they used to... That's it. That's my entire thing. A shift in scouting and drafting may require a change in thinking when you draft a goalie.

Yzerman clearly values the position more than many here, and that's good enough for me. He probably won't take Wonderwall this year, I'm aware of that and totally fine with it (don't love him as much as Askarov ya know), but he'll swing something eventually.

BTW you might want to check my vote in the mock today. Maybe that will help sooth your weary soul.

Lol I get it, I just like poking the bear. I like Gaudreau in round 2, if he is there.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I'm not sure anyone is seriously saying we should take goalies with our first two picks. That's wild. Even for me.

But there's zero chance either goalie is available where you slotted them. You either pony up the cost for one of the top goalies in the draft or you gamble on the leftovers. The reason the top goalie prospects are so valuable, and get taken in the first round, is that they take much of the risk out of drafting that position.

Maybe Swayman enters the conversation soon, though. He's kind of that dream snag for a 4th rounder. Thus the allure of gambling later.

They don't need to gamble if you sign one as a UFA. I DO see the Wings trying to find a diamond in the 2nd or 3rd or, as I said, if a netminder falls to them at 23. I also know Jesper falling to 23 is ridiculous, but hey, it's the offseason. This team needs skaters, and a lot of them. I just don't see the need to go goalie early.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
You take Wallstedt at 6. Be dumb to pass that kind of player up because of some prehistoric idea that taking goalies is bad. If he's ranked in the top 10, he is there for a reason.

You can worry about other holes to fill with the other 10 or so picks we have. Hell, we are gonna end up with another lottery pick next year and most likely the year after anyway so you can worry about major needs then when these players have actually played games and the draft isn't a game of press your luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad