Wallstedt or Cossa or both?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
I am anxious for the draft this year given the Wings are so weak in the Goalie position in their pool of prospects. Given Petruzelli hasn't signed yet I am assuming he's going the free agent route. Unless the Wings get lucky in the lottery they will be in a position to draft a good goalie prospect in both of their positions in the first round. They have so many picks so I am almost inclined to try to take both Wallstedt and Cossa in the first round if they can. Ultimately you only need one starting goalie to play 55-60 games a year. If they both end up being capable starting goalies you have a valuable trade chip 3-4 years down the road. Thoughts?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yeah, never count your chickens until they hatch, on goalies. We can't take Petruzelli for granted yet and I would not slow down on trying to draft a goalie until we have a young prospect, in net, starting for us regularly and doing well at it. At that point, I would try to draft another goalie like every other year instead of yearly. However, returning to your question, I would not draft Wallstedt and Cossa together. One per draft should get it done. It's enough for every other team to get it done. We do have extra picks but we also have extra needs.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm not a fan of taking goalies in the top ten because I think the value is better at other positions. Thus Wallstedt is out for me. I'd rather one of Power, Hughes, Beniers, Eklund, Edvinsson, Johnson or Clarke. If Cossa is there at the Washington pick (far from a certainty), I'd strongly consider him. I recognize our goalie pipeline is weak, but I'd rather keep taking a goalie or two in the middle rounds and turn to the ever available supply of cheap mediocre FA goalies until we get a starter than invest premium draft capital in a goalie.

Reactions: Oddbob

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I'd definitely consider taking Cossa with Washington's pick if he's still on the board but I'm more interested in LD or C with our pick. Bernier and Greiss have proven that solid goalies aren't hard to come by in free agency.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Realistically, nobody actually knows who that is lol.

Exactly. This draft is going to be like the wild west, anything goes. Realistically, we need an elite center, elite top LH dman, elite goalie. We are set on wingers.

I won't be upset with anyone Yzerman picks, because he's going to have a better inside track than all of us combined.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Exactly. This draft is going to be like the wild west, anything goes. Realistically, we need an elite center, elite top LH dman, elite goalie. We are set on wingers.

I won't be upset with anyone Yzerman picks, because he's going to have a better inside track than all of us combined.

Problem is, there's no elite center in this draft, and unless we win a lottery pick, all the LHD are probably gone before we pick.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I don’t think either goaltender is on the board by the time we have our second pick, but I think there are better options available at eight, so I don’t think we’ll end up with either one. My preference goes to Cossa though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think I avoid Cossa, guys. That player looks like fools gold to me.

The Edmonton Oil King are easily the most dominant team in major junior right now with 7(!!!) players above a point per game average.
In 23 games they've scored 104 goals for, but have given up 41 goals against. Here, look at their schedule and results. Edmonton Oil Kings – Official site of the Edmonton Oil Kings

The only teams they're playing are Lethbridge Hurricanes, Red Deer Rebels, Calgary Hitmen and Medicine Hat Tigers. Not exactly cream of the crop in the WHL.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Who is in the market for a goalie that doesnt have any major needs in the top 20?

In the market is kinda irrelevant. Goalies rarely make the NHL within 3 years and even that's ambitious.

If Wallstedt fell to Ottawa's pick, I expect that they'd take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->