Wallstedt or Cossa or both?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We have the best scout in Sweden. I believe he will make right decision. The best scenario, if we're not in top 5, is trade down . I just don't believe SY could find someone to trade with.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Even if you had Eklund, Beniers, Guenther and Johnson all on the table to choose from?

I assume Beniers wont be there. The other three, including Johnson, are wingers, and I don't know that any of them have that great of a chance at being better than Raymond, Zadina, or Bert.

At 6 or 7 I'd take Beniers, but I don't think he ends up any better than Larkin. At 6 or 7, that's still a good value pick, but realistically those two aren't a contending center duo.

And like I said, I don't see him available at that pick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Who is in the market for a goalie that doesnt have any major needs in the top 20?

My personal opinion is that Wallstedt goes somewhere between 3 and 15 as he is a tremendous goalie prospect. I could see the following teams wanting to take Wallstedt.

LAK - Quick is aging and they have a deep prospect pool in all other areas.
SJS - They haven't had a good goalie since...Nabakov?
VAN - Losing Markstrom really, really hurt them.
OTT - Stronger goaltending this year may have had them contending for a playoff spot.
ARI - lol
CHI - Though less likely with Lankinen playing well and signing Arvid Soderblom recently.
PHL - Because they just can't be happy with any goalie they have.
BUF - very slim chance. They do dumb shit a lot though.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit take him, either. Picking Wallstedt is the kind of move that shores up your goaltending situation for a decade or more.

2021 NHL Draft #7: Jesper Wallstedt Scouting Report

Here's a shift by shift of one of his games as well.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My personal opinion is that Wallstedt goes somewhere between 3 and 15 as he is a tremendous goalie prospect. I could see the following teams wanting to take Wallstedt.

LAK - Quick is aging and they have a deep prospect pool in all other areas.
SJS - They haven't had a good goalie since...Nabakov?
VAN - Losing Markstrom really, really hurt them.
OTT - Stronger goaltending this year may have had them contending for a playoff spot.
ARI - lol
CHI - Though less likely with Lankinen playing well and signing Arvid Soderblom recently.
PHL - Because they just can't be happy with any goalie they have.
BUF - very slim chance. They do dumb shit a lot though.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit take him, either. Picking Wallstedt is the kind of move that shores up your goaltending situation for a decade or more.

2021 NHL Draft #7: Jesper Wallstedt Scouting Report

Here's a shift by shift of one of his games as well.

I don't see Arizona picking a goalie.

They need help immediately, in the worst way. They essentially can't afford to go through a rebuild, but have very little futures to build on.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd definitely consider taking Cossa with Washington's pick if he's still on the board but I'm more interested in LD or C with our pick. Bernier and Greiss have proven that solid goalies aren't hard to come by in free agency.

I would consider spending the Washington pick on Cossa, but I wouldn't spend a top ten pick on a goalie. We can get solid goaltending in free agency and later in the draft. It is really hard to find high end forwards outside of the top 10 and it is only marginally easier to find high end defensemen outside of the top 10.

Just continue to draft at least one goalie per draft until you find a good one. Until you find that good one, you use free agency.

Reactions: MVPete96

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I've been saying for a while that when they've drafted goalies slightly earlier than they have been, like 50th to 60th over all, they've had good luck at finding goalies in that area who go on to have a long NHL careers.

I've never been big on the idea of drafting a goalie in the first round unless you have an extra pick in the first round. They have that chance this year and it is something Yzerman has done. But I think when Steve did that, it was his later first round pick of two and it was outside of the top ten - I believe he drafted Vasilevsky 15th over all or something.

If Steve follows the same pattern, then Cossa at about 28th is the more likely for us of the two, Wallstedt and Cossa.

However, again, I'm not nearly as apprehensive about taking a goalie in the second round as I am about taking one in the first and this year, we obviously have multiple second round picks. So, I'd be all for taking a goalie in the second and not in the first, if it happens.

If we wait until the second round, we probably won't get Cossa let alone Wallstedt, but that's okay because there are other goalies who rank among the prospects between 32nd and 64th.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not a fan of taking any of the goalies in the 1st round for us. We need too much help from the skater department to go with goalies. This year, outside Wallstedt it doesn't sound like a very strong year for goalies as well, which makes me want any of them even less, especially not in the 1st round. Then you have us using both on goalies which would be the worst case scenario for drafting this year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Based on what?

Personally I think it would be awesome get a goalie prospect that doesn’t need 8 years of development only to turn into a #2.

Yeah, but who is that this year? Wallstedt and then no one else. There aren't even that many goalies that were rated high this year.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Realistically, nobody actually knows who that is lol.

That is true in some sense, but you can make educated guesses based on seeing the player perform on film and analytical data.
Much rather prefer to draft based on potential and BPA then looking to draft based on NEED. That never works out

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, but who is that this year? Wallstedt and then no one else. There aren't even that many goalies that were rated high this year.
Why should that matter? It's rare for one goalie to be ranked as a top ~10 prospect, has it ever happened that multiple goalies were ranked that high?

Wallstedt isn't my first choice but if we pick in the 7-8 range he might be the best value we can get. People way overrate how easy it is to pick up a good enough goalie in UFA, and there's no part of your team that has a bigger impact on success or failure.

But it wouldn't be awesome to draft a goalie prospect 7th overall and get a guy who needs 2 years of development only to turn into a #2, either.
That would actually be awesome. Look at most good/great goalie prospects, they take forever. Development time is another reason to actually spend a high pick on a goalie. You can find a #1 in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th rounds.. sure. But they may need almost a decade of development to get there.
Wallstedt might realistically split time between AHL/NHL in 22-23.

Last edited:
Reactions: njx9

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
That is true in some sense, but you can make educated guesses based on seeing the player perform on film and analytical data.
Much rather prefer to draft based on potential and BPA then looking to draft based on NEED. That never works out

You're right, it doesn't really work. For example, look at Montreal (Kotkaniemi) and Arizona (Hayton) for examples of what drafting for need does.

Reactions: Killerjas

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
One argument for drafting a goalie early this year is that after Cossa (who I think will be drafted late in the first round or before we pick in the second round), the next tier down of goalie prospects are mostly OHL goalies and of course, the OHL didn't play this season because of the pandemic.

It's hard to have a lot of confidence in the OHL goalie prospects like Lennox and Vrbetic since they haven't played. Gaudreau (OHL) is kinda in the same category: He hasn't been tested much recently; he only played five games since early last year.

If you don't want to gamble on one of the big name OHL choices, then next, you're probably looking at MHL/VHL options Gerasimyuk and Maxim Motorygin.

One more young goalie who seems to be generating some buzz is Hamrla from Czech Republic.

After that, there isn't anyone who seems great.

So, if you want a goalie but you didn't take one in the first round and don't want to gamble on an OHL goalie, then you only have like three good options left, and they will probably go in the first half of the draft too.

There probably isn't much point in drafting a goalie from the fifth round or later this time around. It's just not a really deep draft for goalies. Especially so if you lack confidence in the OHL prospects.

Essentially, you have upwards of 20 teams looking to draft a goalie, but only like 9 or 10 good goalie prospects and 3 or 4 of those 9-10 haven't really played in the last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t think I’d take with of these guys in the 1st round. I guess, if Wallstadt slides all the way to the Washington pick, I’m all over him but that’s not going to happen.

Similarly if Cossa is available @ 47 I’d probably take him.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Askarov and Knight didn't go top 10, I don't think Wallstedt does either. I think both guys were easily better, so that tells us how the league values high end goalies.

My guess is Wallstedt goes somewhere 11-19. Maybe we could trade up if he slides to the late teens.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
After Cossa and Wallstedt here is how I would rank my favorites:

1. Semyon Vyazovoy, Russia- 6'3" aggressive and active, great rebound control
2. Kirill Gerasimyuk, Russian 6'2" had an awful one game in U18 but has been compared to Shesterkin/Sorokin
3. Thomas Milic, Canadian 6' has had great U17/U18 stats and very good WHL stats. Shorter than I would like?
4. Ivan Zhigalov, Belarus 6'3" who is playing well in Russia and held his own with a crappy U18 team in front of him.
5. Tristan Lennox/Ben Gaudreau- both have been pretty inconsistent but have shown some very nice up side as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1. Semyon Vyazovoy, Russia- 6'3" aggressive and active, great rebound control

.919, .927, .939 SV% his last 3 seasons.... hmmm
.939% SV% in the MHL this year is pretty impressive.

I would have Gaudreau a lot higher than 5 (personally), if this was a ranking. I like him in the 2nd round.

Reactions: lilidk

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
One argument for drafting a goalie early this year is that after Cossa (who I think will be drafted late in the first round or before we pick in the second round), the next tier down of goalie prospects are mostly OHL goalies and of course, the OHL didn't play this season because of the pandemic.

It's hard to have a lot of confidence in the OHL goalie prospects like Lennox and Vrbetic since they haven't played. Gaudreau (OHL) is kinda in the same category: He hasn't been tested much recently; he only played five games since early last year.

If you don't want to gamble on one of the big name OHL choices, then next, you're probably looking at MHL/VHL options Gerasimyuk and Maxim Motorygin.

One more young goalie who seems to be generating some buzz is Hamrla from Czech Republic.

After that, there isn't anyone who seems great.

So, if you want a goalie but you didn't take one in the first round and don't want to gamble on an OHL goalie, then you only have like three good options left, and they will probably go in the first half of the draft too.

There probably isn't much point in drafting a goalie from the fifth round or later this time around. It's just not a really deep draft for goalies. Especially so if you lack confidence in the OHL prospects.

Essentially, you have upwards of 20 teams looking to draft a goalie, but only like 9 or 10 good goalie prospects and 3 or 4 of those 9-10 haven't really played in the last year.
I hear you on this. I'd probably still draft a goaltender with a fifth or a sixth just to have more stock in the cupboards, but beyond Wallstedt and Cossa, both of whom should go in the top twenty, there just aren't any exciting options. I like Gerasimyuk's numbers, but I wasn't impressed with him the couple times I saw him play. Gaudreau maybe, but he'll go way ahead of where I'd feel comfortable picking him.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->