Waiver players

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Last year Leafs signed Petri Kontiola to a 1 year deal and then waived him to the AHL before he voided his contract to return to the KHL. They also traded for Frattin and signed him to a new 2 year deal and waived him to start the season.

There would be no reason to invite PTO players to camp because all spots on the roster are already taken with contracts.

I was just guessing the bottom of the depth chart where the new guys just added reside.. Many of the forwards are safe from being waived as we all know JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Lupul, etc are not going to get beaten out for jobs by Boyes or Glencross.

Now of course PTO players are going to have beat out players with contracts but that is a given from the start, because they were already under contract prior to Lou Lam inviting him PTO tryouts. :)

By your logic all the PTO will be released because there is no spots otherwise, baring a trade of another player for futures.

Frattin did start the season with the Leafs I thought. Kontiola had to purchase his way out of his existing contract overseas which I'm sure he wasn't going to do without a contract here.

As the previous poster said, it is not out of the realm of possbilities. It's just about as close as you can get.

A player offered a 1-year contract would not only have to be beat out by one of the PTO players but would have to play so bad as to play themselves out of the contract.

They would make a trade for someone and in the meantime drop one of the other younger players like Carrick who is more likely to make it through until they made some room.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Last year Leafs signed Petri Kontiola to a 1 year deal and then waived him to the AHL before he voided his contract to return to the KHL. They also traded for Frattin and signed him to a new 2 year deal and waived him to start the season.

There would be no reason to invite PTO players to camp because all spots on the roster are already taken with contracts.

I was just guessing the bottom of the depth chart where the new guys just added reside.. Many of the forwards are safe from being waived as we all know JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Lupul, etc are not going to get beaten out for jobs by Boyes or Glencross.

Now of course PTO players are going to have beat out players with contracts but that is a given from the start, because they were already under contract prior to Lou Lam inviting him PTO tryouts. :)

By your logic all the PTO will be released because there is no spots otherwise, baring a trade of another player for futures.

Except neither Kontiola or Frattin was an NHL level player. They were brought in as tweeners. There's a big difference between a PTO beating out a marginal player who the organization doesn't have much belief in, and a PTO beating out a guy who the Leafs have just signed because they liked them for a specific reason whether its possession numbers or something else.

Right now, based on the fact that the Leafs brought these proven NHL caliber players in they're all pretty much guaranteed to make the team:

JVR Kadri Parenteau
Lupul Bozak Grabner
Winnik Holland Komarov
Matthias Arcobello Spaling
Panik

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Polak
Hunwick Robidas
Marincin (probably the only one who's not proven but they're not going to waive a young guy they just traded a pick for)

Bernier
Reimer

This means that if they have the cap space (I think they do but not 100% sure) they will have room for 1 more player on the roster. It's clear they didn't bring 3 guys in on PTOs with the intention of signing them all if they do well, because they don't have room for that. And even if they do have room for that, it would make their strategy pretty pointless because nobody is going to trade a pick for a guy that can barely get into the lineup of a lottery team. And it's not even guaranteed that this spot would be for a PTO player with all the Marlies competing for a spot. They could also prefer to take an extra d-man instead like Percy or Harrington, which rules out all PTOs. And they could easily use their recently opened roster spots to pick up a guy on waivers like they did with Panik last year, in which case that would be the last roster spot. So yes, it's very possible that they did sign these guys to PTOs already knowing they aren't going to sign any of them. Why? who knows. It wouldn't be the first headscratching move they've made this summer.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Carrick does though - I think he'd get claimed ... it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Let's not forget, every other team sends guys down that are borderline like Carrick, and they usually pass.

The glut of players passing at the same time helps shadow certain players, too.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Except neither Kontiola or Frattin was an NHL level player. They were brought in as tweeners. There's a big difference between a PTO beating out a marginal player who the organization doesn't have much belief in, and a PTO beating out a guy who the Leafs have just signed because they liked them for a specific reason whether its possession numbers or something else.

Right now, based on the fact that the Leafs brought these proven NHL caliber players in they're all pretty much guaranteed to make the team:

JVR Kadri Parenteau
Lupul Bozak Grabner
Winnik Holland Komarov
Matthias Arcobello Spaling
Panik

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Polak
Hunwick Robidas
Marincin (probably the only one who's not proven but they're not going to waive a young guy they just traded a pick for)

Bernier
Reimer

This means that if they have the cap space (I think they do but not 100% sure) they will have room for 1 more player on the roster. It's clear they didn't bring 3 guys in on PTOs with the intention of signing them all if they do well, because they don't have room for that. And even if they do have room for that, it would make their strategy pretty pointless because nobody is going to trade a pick for a guy that can barely get into the lineup of a lottery team. And it's not even guaranteed that this spot would be for a PTO player with all the Marlies competing for a spot. They could also prefer to take an extra d-man instead like Percy or Harrington, which rules out all PTOs. And they could easily use their recently opened roster spots to pick up a guy on waivers like they did with Panik last year, in which case that would be the last roster spot. So yes, it's very possible that they did sign these guys to PTOs already knowing they aren't going to sign any of them. Why? who knows. It wouldn't be the first headscratching move they've made this summer.

Just as the trade for Grabner created some flexibility with the contract limit, so too could a trade create some for the starting lineup. Part of the reason for signing these guys is to create competition, part of it is security. An injury could open things up and I think the Leafs brass don't want any Marlies up before the deadline and they're squeezing them out to a degree.

The most likely outcome is two of the overall PTO's get signed, one the three forwards ( Glencross ) and Fraser as a Marlie.

However, should a trade happen and all 3 PTO forwards get signed, I don't think we can accurately say now what they would fetch at the deadline, depends on their game at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad