Waiver players

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Defense is easy, Granberg goes on DL and Brennan goes passes thru waivers and plays for the Marlies.

Even forward is pretty straight forward, Carrick and Frattin would both clear and your down to 13 forwards. Sign the best of the PTO forwards and you have your 14. If you want to sign more than 1 of the PTOs it means they outplayed a guy like Arcobello who would probably clear waivers as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just a reminder but any player claimed off waivers must be placed on a teams NHL roster. In order to send them down 1) they are automatically re-offered to the original club (presumably eligible now to place him in the minors) and two, must clear waivers.

So in layman's terms waiver claims must play on the main club, you can't claim players to stockpile on to your farm team.
Can I assume that includes the Leafs training camp roster? Let's say Matt Frattin is being sent to the AHL are waivers required even though the regular season will not yet have started?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A couple of forwards get traded, but Carrick, Granberg and Brennan get sent down. Setoguchi gets let go. That solves defense and we have 16 forwards to figure out. If we move two (Bozak and Frattin or Panik for example), we'd have it all figured out. I wish we moved Frattin instead of Nilsson in the Grabner deal. Nilsson may have been someone we moved down the road, but we could have used him now, especially since our only under contract RHD in the minors right now is injured and waiver eligible. Not the end of the world though.

Somehow management has to figure out a way to use the last remaining old regime prospects to move some forwards out for a good return. If they can do that, I can trust them a little more to handle the future Phaneuf trade. Lou said that won't happen right now. After training camp that could change though. They are fans of flexibility, and right now the forward situation does not provide a lot of it unlike our defense, contract and goalie situation.

NotSince67*

Can I assume that includes the Leafs training camp roster? Let's say Matt Frattin is being sent to the AHL are waivers required even though the regular season will not yet have started?

Yes, from what I understand. "If the claiming team places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team claims him, the team may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below." After a player is claimed off waivers, it would be necessary to waive him to send him to the minors. Provided the original club makes a claim, they get they player back and can send him to the minors without exposing him to wavers.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

It prevents a club from making a ton of waiver claims and placing those players in the minors anyways. The waiver is designed to allow a player who's club decides not to place/keep him on an NHL roster to allow other teams to give him that opportunity once he's reached a certain seniority (service time). From the NHLPA perspective it protects players who get waived from being claimed, having to move and re-locate just to play in the minors anyways. Waivers are designed to keep senior players in the a chance to remain in the NHL with another club before being sent to the minors. By doing so it prevents a club from monopolizing the services of established players when they sign. A player signs witht he intention of playing in the NHL, and if they are not going to be on the roster other teams are given the opportunity to assume his contract, thus preventing the club from monopolizing his services. Being able to claim players and place them in the minors would be redundant.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
If we do send some players down and they clear waivers do they need to clear waivers again if they're called up in case of injuries or trades?

Pretty much anytime there is a long term injury on another team I''m hoping someone from our roster is offered up as a replacement for picks/prospects. When those trades happen it would be good to have replacements that could fill in and hopefully increase their value by the trade deadline

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If we do send some players down and they clear waivers do they need to clear waivers again if they're called up in case of injuries or trades

No, recall waivers no longer exist. It was a thing after the last lockout but they got rid of it because it meant teams wouldn't recall certain players for fear they would get claimed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Absolutely.

All players that are waiver eligible must clear waivers to go down. All NHL teams have training camps and must cut their teams down to 23 players come the regular season start, and all players cut must (that require waivers) will be placed on them regardless of the timing now until season start.

In the preseason however teams like to send players down in bunches hoping the sneak them through unnoticed with the high volume of teams doing this.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What players do we have that have to pass through waivers such as Carrick?

With the addition of Grabner we now have way too many forwards signed and/or PTO's

We cant possibly think we are going to sign Glencross, Seto, Fraser and Boyes and maintain a 23 man roster without sending someone down to the Marlies, loosing them via waivers or through a trade.

Current forwards needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (15)
Lupul
JVR
Bozak
Kadri
Grabner
Komorov
Matthias
Winnik
Spaling
Parenteau
Arcobello
Panik
Holland
Carrick
Frattin

PTO Forwards (3)
Boyes
Glencross
Setoguchi

Current Defensemen needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (9)
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Robidas
Polak
Hunwick
Rielly
Marincin
Brennan
Granberg

PTO Defensemen (1)
Fraser

Goalies(2)
Bernier
Reimer

That's 26 players already signed that need to pass through waivers
4 more that need contracts ( PTO )
Total would be 30

I'll update this if/when others need to be added

Waivers.JPG

I will lose no sleep if any of the bolded are grabbed on waivers.

crederer

Feb 12, 2007
I haven't been paying much attention this off season but I'm going to assume who ever goes down will be based on their traditional positions. Aren't the a little weak on RW? If so I doubt you'll see a RW going down.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Defense is easy, Granberg goes on DL and Brennan goes passes thru waivers and plays for the Marlies.

Even forward is pretty straight forward, Carrick and Frattin would both clear and your down to 13 forwards. Sign the best of the PTO forwards and you have your 14. If you want to sign more than 1 of the PTOs it means they outplayed a guy like Arcobello who would probably clear waivers as well.

Pretty much this.

-Granberg + Brennan both passed through waivers last season. Don't see any team picking them up this year. Fraser if he signs on will definitely pass if he hits the waiver wire

-Frattin passed through waivers last season. Don't see any team picking him up.

-Carrick is a nice sentimental story but lets be honest he played 6 minutes a game for us last season and is a .5 PPG player in the AHL. I don't see much upside there and very unlikely a team places a waiver claim

-Parenteau + Arcobello wouldn't be much of a loss. Both have a good chance of passing through unclaimed

-Robidas + Hunwick won't get exposed to waivers but even if they did decent chance neither of them would get claimed

Other teams have better players than us that will hit the waiver wire. There are still better players than the above that are still UFAs (some of which aren't even on PTOs).

I'm not worried about losing any of the above. If anything I'm worried about them limiting us from making our own waiver claim.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Pretty much this.

-Granberg + Brennan both passed through waivers last season. Don't see any team picking them up this year. Fraser if he signs on will definitely pass if he hits the waiver wire

-Frattin passed through waivers last season. Don't see any team picking him up.

-Carrick is a nice sentimental story but lets be honest he played 6 minutes a game for us last season and is a .5 PPG player in the AHL. I don't see much upside there and very unlikely a team places a waiver claim

-Parenteau + Arcobello wouldn't be much of a loss. Both have a good chance of passing through unclaimed

-Robidas + Hunwick won't get exposed to waivers but even if they did decent chance neither of them would get claimed

Other teams have better players than us that will hit the waiver wire. There are still better players than the above that are still UFAs (some of which aren't even on PTOs).

I'm not worried about losing any of the above. If anything I'm worried about them limiting us from making our own waiver claim.

Pretty much this. I don't see anyone picking up Carrick. Every team has a Carrick in their system.

Frattin is the only player may get picked up. He's cheap and descent 4th liner. If a team is looking for 4th liner, he'll get picked up

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So now that we have 29 players already ( 25 signed & 4 on PTO ) what the hell do we do to get to a 23 man roster?

Forwards

Forwards would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another for every PTO signed for the forward position.

Frattin is a given but whom else would be sent down? Carrick? Panik? Arcobello?

Defense

Defense would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another if Fraser is signed

Defense is a little easier with Brennan and Granberg ( injury ) going to the Marlies
If Fraser is signed someone else has to go down too though.

F
Frattin, Carrick, Arcobello, Setoguchi (AHL contract)

D
Brennan, Granberg (LTIR->Conditioning Stint->Waivers?), Fraser (AHL Contract)

Be interesting to see who drops if they're to claim anyone off waivers themselves. Hunwick is an easy contract to bury if someone is claimed on defense. If it's a forward they might not offer Boyes a contract or they could look to drop another youngster in Panik to create that room.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
F
Frattin, Carrick, Arcobello, Setoguchi (AHL contract)

D
Brennan, Granberg (LTIR->Conditioning Stint->Waivers?), Fraser (AHL Contract)

Be interesting to see who drops if they're to claim anyone off waivers themselves. Hunwick is an easy contract to bury if someone is claimed on defense. If it's a forward they might not offer Boyes a contract or they could look to drop another youngster in Panik to create that room.
Would Lou really do that to Hunwick? I ask that because after he just a signed a 2 year contract with them as a UFA on July 1 and how would it look to other potential UFA's?

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Hunwick won't get cut. Robidas is gone before him. The Leafs brass seem to like him. I mean, he played most of the season in the Rangers top-6, which is nothing to scoff at. Then again, he was pretty terrible in Colorado, but most seem to believe that's because of misusage. The stats say he performs like a top-4 (see HERO chart), and I expect the Leafs to try him out there... one of those 'moneypuck' acquisitions.

Also, what about Harrington? Is he not close to the pro games played threshold for waiver eligibility?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Would Lou really do that to Hunwick? I ask that because after he just a signed a 2 year contract with them as a UFA on July 1 and how would it look to other potential UFA's?

If they're waiving a another dman it's either Hunwick or Robidas. Robidas has a cap hit of 3M, Hunwick 1.2M. Only 250K counts against the cap with Hunwick in the minors. The Leafs would only get 100K of cap space if they placed Robidas in the minors, so 2.9M still affects the cap.

It would suck for Hunwick. But, would it not also suck for Robidas? Forcing a 38 year old, 15 year NHL veteran, Only 1 year into a 3 year deal into the minors, when they could have just bought him out this summer.

If former London Knight Jared Tinordi hits the waiver wire, see ya Hunwick.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If they're waiving a another dman it's either Hunwick or Robidas. Robidas has a cap hit of 3M, Hunwick 1.2M. Only 250K counts against the cap with Hunwick in the minors. The Leafs would only get 100K of cap space if they placed Robidas in the minors, so 2.9M still affects the cap.

It would suck for Hunwick. But, would it not also suck for Robidas? Forcing a 38 year old, 15 year NHL veteran, Only 1 year into a 3 year deal into the minors, when they could have just bought him out this summer.

If former London Knight Jared Tinordi hits the waiver wire, see ya Hunwick.
If Hunwick had signed just a 1 year contract I can see him possibly being sent down. However the fact he signed a 2 year contract would make it worse in my opinion and send a message to other UFA's about signing for more than 1 year in Toronto.

Also while Robidas might be a 15 year veteran he was still signed under the old management team. Even though Lou was not here when they signed Hunwick remember that it was Kyle Dubas that signed him.

NotSince67*

Diceman is on the ball with that observation.

I got flamed a while back after the trade happened making a post suggesting the Leafs suggest to Horton he retire in exchange for a cushy "advisors role" paying him out the same money he forfeits in retirement. I pointed out the nuances of LTIR and how it's not true cap space. This is just another example of having a player on permanent LTIR is not ideal.

Anyone starting to think my suggestion wasn't so bad after all?

AngelicAssassin*

Does Bailey actually need waivers?

This here says that bailey does not need to clear waivers; courtesy of Hockey's Cap.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/teams/mapleleafs

Reilly does not need to clear waivers on D, Brennan and Granberg do.

Bailey does not need to clear waivers at F, Frattin and Carrick do.

Then of course whatever other veterans are attempted to be passed through waivers. Maybe Carrick gets claimed from you guys.

NotSince67*

This isn't a shot at Carrick but I'm not sure that a club would be thin enough at centre to have a spot open with the big club to claim him, barring injuries. They'd also have to keep him on the roster for the year or Toronto could re-claim him on waivers and given priority regardless of the standings. Not the worse thing to happen trying to pass Carrick through.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Diceman is on the ball with that observation.

I got flamed a while back after the trade happened making a post suggesting the Leafs suggest to Horton he retire in exchange for a cushy "advisors role" paying him out the same money he forfeits in retirement. I pointed out the nuances of LTIR and how it's not true cap space. This is just another example of having a player on permanent LTIR is not ideal.

Anyone starting to think my suggestion wasn't so bad after all?
While that suggestion you made about Horton does sound like some out of the box thinking, I would wonder if the NHL would allow it? Although they shouldn't have a say on who the Leafs hire and how much they are paid. However the NHL didn't care about Chris Pronger working for the Department of Player Safety while on LTIR with the Flyers and now on LTIR with the Coyotes since his contract rights was traded there in June at the draft.

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Like most have said, Carrick/Granberg/Brennan/Frattin are all likely waiver fodder.

I'm guessing the Leafs brass don't want many vets clogging up the Marlies though. Marlies are deep at forward as is, the likes of Parenteau/Arcobello/Spalling being waived are low I think (unless they have brutal camps).

Both players till have something to offer offensively which this team is lacking desperately (even with the addition of Grabner). Parenteau's issue is health, not necessarily production. Arcobello had 16 goals in 63 games last year bouncing between leagues and teams. Both these guys are good producers at their rate of pay.

It makes it tough to figure out how they are going to fit in any PTO's at this point. I feel another trade is the more likely scenario (wouldn't surprise me if it was just a dump). Question would be, do they trade a guy they JUST signed this summer? It's an interesting scenario that usually doesn't happen (that I recall). But really, none of them are big names or considered long-term fillers so I could see it happening if one of the PTO's push hard enough.

Or maybe a returning player is shipped out. I'm sure they would love to dump someone like Lupul just for contracts sake. Someone I don't spend much time thinking about is moving Holland. If they don't think Holland is going to be anything more than a 3rd liner, they may feel the developments of Nylander/Marner in the next season or so may make him movable anyways (and keeping Kadri around). He's entering his 25-year-old season. Stomach having Bozak/Kadri/Matthias/Spaling/Arcobello/Carrick/Boyes? in the centre position this year and see what happens with C next year (if they are truly rebuilding). That being said, I want Holland in a more prominent role this year, but I think that will be hard with Bozak around..

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So now that we have 29 players already ( 25 signed & 4 on PTO ) what the hell do we do to get to a 23 man roster?

Forwards

Forwards would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another for every PTO signed for the forward position.

Frattin is a given but whom else would be sent down? Carrick? Panik? Arcobello?

Defense

Defense would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another if Fraser is signed

Defense is a little easier with Brennan and Granberg ( injury ) going to the Marlies
If Fraser is signed someone else has to go down too though.

I could see Carrick, Fraser, Arco and Seto all being assigned to the marlies, plus those kids who tried out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad