Waiver players

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
What players do we have that have to pass through waivers such as Carrick?

With the addition of Grabner we now have way too many forwards signed and/or PTO's

We cant possibly think we are going to sign Glencross, Seto, Fraser and Boyes and maintain a 23 man roster without sending someone down to the Marlies, loosing them via waivers or through a trade.

Current forwards needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (15)
Lupul
JVR
Bozak
Kadri
Grabner
Komorov
Matthias
Winnik
Spaling
Parenteau
Arcobello
Panik
Holland
Carrick
Frattin

PTO Forwards (3)
Boyes
Glencross
Setoguchi

Current Defensemen needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (9)
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Robidas
Polak
Hunwick
Rielly
Marincin
Brennan
Granberg

PTO Defensemen (1)
Fraser

Goalies(2)
Bernier
Reimer

That's 26 players already signed that need to pass through waivers
4 more that need contracts ( PTO )
Total would be 30

I'll update this if/when others need to be added

Waivers.JPG

Last edited:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
What players do we have that have to pass through waivers such as Carrick?

With the addition of Grabner we now have way too many forwards signed and/or PTO's

We cant possibly think we are going to sign Glencross, Seto, Fraser and Boyes and maintain a 23 man roster without sending someone down to the Marlies, loosing them via waivers or through a trade.

Current forwards needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (15)
Lupul
JVR
Bozak
Kadri
Grabner
Komorov
Matthias
Winnik
Spaling
Parenteau
Arcobello
Panik
Bailey
Holland
Carrick

PTO Forwards (3)
Boyes
Glencross
Setoguchi

Current Defensemen needing to pass through waivers to play for the Marlies (8)
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Robidas
Polak
Hunwick
Rielly
Marincin
Brennan

PTO Defensemen (1)
Fraser

Goalies(2)
Bernier
Reimer

That's 25 players already signed that need to pass through waivers
4 more that need contracts ( PTO )
Total would be 29

I'll update this if/when others need to be added

I read that list, and assuming its accurate - looks like there could be another deal or two before opening night, as the team will likely look to trade a player who doesn't make the team (even for a 5th or 6th rounder) rather than putting him on waivers!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure that's why I put him there

Where would I be able to find out?

Not sure - but I don't think he's played enough NHL games or even AHL games to require waivers..he's still young...I don't think waivers are neccessary.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Matt Frattin would require waivers to go back to the Marlies. Also, I believe Granberg is getting close to being waiver eligible (if he isn't already), but I can't see any team claiming a guy who isn't ready for the NHL coming off an achilles injury.

EDIT: Based on this article from ppp, Granberg has passed the games played mark for waiver eligibility.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I read that list, and assuming its accurate - looks like there could be another deal or two before opening night, as the team will likely look to trade a player who doesn't make the team (even for a 5th or 6th rounder) rather than putting him on waivers!

I am still hoping that dead weight like Bozak and/or Lupul will get moved before opening night.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The waiver wire at the beginning of the year is always pretty interesting. You see a lot of unexpected names around the league, because teams are trying to sneak guys through in the rush.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I'm assuming Froese would need to clear waivers as he is on his third contract at 24 years old.

Bailey and Hyman are unknown because they're from the NCAA but are both 23 years old

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does Bailey actually need waivers?
I don't think he does. I remember during Tyler Bozak's first season he was on the same 2 year ELC since he signed after playing in the NCAA. Anyway I remember when the Leafs sent him down to the AHL and when he was recalled, he didn't need to pass through waivers.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
So now that we have 29 players already ( 25 signed & 4 on PTO ) what the hell do we do to get to a 23 man roster?

Forwards

Forwards would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another for every PTO signed for the forward position.

Frattin is a given but whom else would be sent down? Carrick? Panik? Arcobello?

Defense

Defense would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another if Fraser is signed

Defense is a little easier with Brennan and Granberg ( injury ) going to the Marlies
If Fraser is signed someone else has to go down too though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So now that we have 29 players already ( 25 signed & 4 on PTO ) what the hell do we do to get to a 23 man roster?

Forwards

Forwards would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another for every PTO signed for the forward position.

Frattin is a given but whom else would be sent down? Carrick? Panik? Arcobello?

Defense

Defense would need to drop 2 players already signed and then another if Fraser is signed

Defense is a little easier with Brennan and Granberg ( injury ) going to the Marlies
If Fraser is signed someone else has to go down too though.

I think with Finn and Nilsson going, Fraser could get an AHL deal.

Arco could go down.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I would think Arcobello is being sent down. If Fraser even gets a contract it'll be an AHL deal.

Bailey, Panik, and Brennan probably all placed on waivers barring a trade.

Part of this is getting a bunch of players to pass waivers at the same time. Herd-mentality, hoping the lions pick off the weakest member??

NotSince67*

Just a reminder but any player claimed off waivers must be placed on a teams NHL roster. In order to send them down 1) they are automatically re-offered to the original club (presumably eligible now to place him in the minors) and two, must clear waivers.

So in layman's terms waiver claims must play on the main club, you can't claim players to stockpile on to your farm team.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
I would hope Carrick makes the team rather then risk going through waivers. Much rather him over any if the PTO guys every day of the week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad