Value of: W. Nylander for Parayko

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Well according to the rest of HF Marner is now the next Sam Gagner, not too long ago Nylander was the next Sam Gagner, and before that Kadri was the next Sam Gagner.

Marner and Nylander are both more likely to be the next Gagner than the next Patrick Kane.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
As a Hawks fan, outside of Matthews I wholeheartedly agree with any 1 for 1 deal that sends Parayko outside of the division and conference. This cannot happen fast enough in my view.

He's such a stud eh?

HFOils darling, he's from the EDM area and comes back to his roots in the offseason. He's got #1 Franchise D written all over him, great guy too.

There is no guarantee any player becomes a #1 D, but Parayko has great size, a great shot, seems to possess great instincts in every game I have seen him play. At the very least I think he ends up as Brent Seabrook with more speed. And he just might end up similar to Rob Blake. Yeah, I want him gone.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
What a ridiculous thread. I can respect the fact that Blues fans wouldn't want to move Parayko for Nylander, but he's getting a real lack of respect here. Discrediting him as a player because he hasn't played in the playoffs is just stupid, as is the truly rich comment that he must be bad because he looks like he could be in a boy band. I mean really? And Matthews is barely enough for Parayko? Oh lord.

Oh yah it would be if a previous poster hadn't claimed that Nylander would help the Blues with their playoff push, that is literally the only reason this is being discussed. Seriously seen too many people being critical of this, do you people not read previous posts?

Nobody is discrediting him, they just want to know how a prospect (yes he is still a prospect leafs fans) is going to help a team in the playoffs, when he is still in fact a prospect. I don't think anybody doesn't believe that Nylander has the makings of a very good player, but nobody can say for sure yet.

As for the value, correct me if I'm wrong here but do players that look to be top paring dmen not hold more value than players that look to be top line forwards? Not even taking into consideration what Paryko has done at an NHL level as a 22 year old.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There is no guarantee any player becomes a #1 D, but Parayko has great size, a great shot, seems to possess great instincts in every game I have seen him play. At the very least I think he ends up as Brent Seabrook with more speed. And he just might end up similar to Rob Blake. Yeah, I want him gone.

Minus the hip checks though :(

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Parayko is perhaps most uncommon in his work ethic and impossibly good intangibles. DA, Hitchcock and the Blues brass all seemingly have fallen in love with a kid who doesn't cause trouble and has an obsessive desire to get better.

Two to three weeks after the playoffs ended, many Blues' players were tweeting from vacation spots, etc. Parayko, who still doesn't have a Twitter account (doesn't seem to care about self-promotion), was back in St. Louis starting his off-season training program.

All of this is to say that this kid really is a notch above most guys in terms of desire to succeed, to please the organization and to improve his game. The Blues aren't likely to trade a kid with such character traits unless a serious overpayment is involved.

Nylander will probably be great...but the Blues management already know what they have in Parayko so I don't see them moving him unless a crazy offer is made.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

The really crazy thing about Parayko isn't his size, skating, shot, or any of his on-ice play. It's his work ethic and intelligence. Last season in between games and practices he finished his college degree because it was important to him and his future as a person.

Parayko, who signed his first professional contract after his junior season at the University of Alaska, needed seven more classes to complete his degree in business administration and decided to take two of them while also trying to earn a roster spot with the Blues.

"People think I'm crazy for doing this, but I'm not crazy," said Parayko, 22. "I've been going to school and playing hockey for the past three years. This is nothing new for me. The way I see it, it'd be crazy not to finish my degree.

"I didn't want to put in three years of work towards something and then let it go to waste. I thought back to all the times I was battling through exams or a tough assignment and all the work I put into this, and there was no way I wasn't going to finish it."

Always a straight-A student, Parayko is taking three classes during the spring semester -- sports marketing, business continuity management and international business -- and while he and his teammates are battling the Dallas Stars in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs -- Game 3 is Tuesday, 9:30 p.m. ET in St. Louis -- Parayko will also be battling the books, with two finals and a term paper to finish next week.

"Hockey won't last forever," he said. "It could last one year or it could last 10 or even more, you never know, and I think it's always a good idea to have a college degree in your back pocket whenever you need it."

While his teammates might give him a hard time when he's doing his homework instead of socializing on the plane, or when he's eating dinner by himself with a table full of books, he knows this is the right thing to do.

"Not many guys from Alaska have really moved on even to pro hockey, let alone the NHL, so while the coaches expected us to give our best effort on the ice, they also expected us to do the same in the classroom," the St. Albert, Alberta, native said. "I owe it to myself to finish what I started, but I also owe it to my coaches who took a chance on me and gave me a scholarship so I could have this opportunity both in the NHL and to get a degree."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...olton-parayko-balances-books-blueliner-duties

Parayko left Alaska-Fairbanks needing to take seven more classes to finish his business administration degree. He took three classes online in the fall semester, two in the spring and then finished it up with two classes in a summer session that ended Friday. While several Blues played college hockey, he’s the only to have gotten his degree.

“I think it was really important (to finish the degree),” Parayko said. “I spent three years there working really hard, going to class, taking tests, studying, doing homework. To finish it was something I wanted to do. My mom wanted me to do it, my family did. … Hockey’s only going to last so long. You never know when it’s going to end or what’s going to happen, so when you get an opportunity to finish your degree, something you started and worked so hard on, it’s a huge accomplishment for myself.”

The last year was in some ways harder than the first three, as he had to juggle his class assignments with being an NHL player. Because of the Blues’ extended postseason, he ended up having to take final exams for his spring classes between playoff games. The last two classes — a chemistry lab and a current topics in business class that looked at operations in native Alaskan communities — he finished at his home in Edmonton, doing chemistry experiments on the dining room table. (He put off taking the chemistry class to the summer because while it’s one thing to take textbooks on the road, taking his lab kit on the road may have been a bit much.)

“Pretty much every day, every second day, I was looking at something (for school),” he said. “Sometimes the schedule was tough and if we were on the road for a few days I might miss something. I tried to make sure I worked ahead of time. I was always three days ahead, if not four, just to make sure something didn’t sneak up on me and I didn’t do it. Sometimes you can miss a thing and go down a whole grade point. I was just making sure little things like that are taken care of.”
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock.../article_a879a10c-ee21-56a1-aeb0-7e641c55c5dc

HE WAS TAKING COLLEGE LEVEL FINAL EXAMS DURING THE WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMI-FINALS...AND PASSED...

who does things like that? :amazed:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The really crazy thing about Parayko isn't his size, skating, shot, or any of his on-ice play. It's his work ethic and intelligence. Last season in between games and practices he finished his college degree because it was important to him and his future as a person.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...olton-parayko-balances-books-blueliner-duties

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock.../article_a879a10c-ee21-56a1-aeb0-7e641c55c5dc

HE WAS TAKING COLLEGE LEVEL FINAL EXAMS DURING THE WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMI-FINALS...AND PASSED...

who does things like that? :amazed:

Not to discredit him or anything, kid looks like a stud, but many professional athlete's do this.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Not to discredit him or anything, kid looks like a stud, but many professional athlete's do this.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have never heard of another hockey player taking college courses during the season. Much less the playoffs. Maybe over the summer in the offseason...?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Comparables say otherwise. Sorry but I can't take your opinion on Leafs prospects seriously.

Both players look like future stars, but to say they look like the next Patrick Kane is ridiculous, comparable's? Kane is a future HOF, 3 time Stanley cup winner, Hart trophy winner, ted Lindsay, art ross, calder, conn smythe.

Again not saying either of those players are not really good prospects, or even that they won't turn into superstars, but that comparable should not be made.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Pardon my ignorance, but I have never heard of another hockey player taking college courses during the season. Much less the playoffs. Maybe over the summer in the offseason...?

It's more common than you think, lots of pro athletes' period actually.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
They certainly would add. Where it's a "lot" or not maybe is debatable.

Parayko > Marner/Nylander
The guy said adding a lot, hence my post. I mean Marner and Nylander are both widely considered top 5-8 prospects in the league NOT in the NHL (or rookies if that makes people feel better about Nylander's 20 or so games in the show), and they're super important to the Leafs future. People suggested packaging two of Marner/Nylander/Rielly which is obviously a complete fantasy. Regardless this trade won't happen so there's no point dwelling on it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The guy said adding a lot, hence my post. I mean Marner and Nylander are both widely considered top 5-8 prospects in the league NOT in the NHL (or rookies if that makes people feel better about Nylander's 20 or so games in the show), and they're super important to the Leafs future. People suggested packaging two of Marner/Nylander/Rielly which is obviously a complete fantasy. Regardless this trade won't happen so there's no point dwelling on it.

Fair enough, two of Marner/Nylander/Rielly isn't reasonable. I agree.

But Marner or Nylander alone wouldn't get Parayko. It's not an insult to them, it's just Parayko is that good and has that much upside.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
It's more common than you think, lots of pro athletes' period actually.

All due respect, can you provide a for instance? It would not shock me to find out there are other players who have done it, but I am struggling to think of another example.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Both players look like future stars, but to say they look like the next Patrick Kane is ridiculous, comparable's? Kane is a future HOF, 3 time Stanley cup winner, Hart trophy winner, ted Lindsay, art ross, calder, conn smythe.

Again not saying either of those players are not really good prospects, or even that they won't turn into superstars, but that comparable should not be made.

That was in response to someone saying that they're more likely to turn out to be Sam Gagner than Patrick Kane - wasn't the poster that you quoted who made the comparison, it was made earlier in the thread and he just sided with the Kane end of the scale rather than the Gagner end

I think we would be ecstatic if both of those players turned out to be first liners, even if neither gets close to Kane's ability

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think to get the Blues to bite, it would be. Unquestionable overpayment, but it would take something insane to convince the Blues to part with Parayko. Well at least I hope that's what people meant.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
All due respect, can you provide a for instance? I would not shock me to find out there are other players who have done it, but I am struggling to think of another example.

Larry Fitzgerald, finished his degree while still playing, in terms of hockey I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's pretty amazing to think that any athlete could do it though.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Fair enough, two of Marner/Nylander/Rielly isn't reasonable. I agree.

But Marner or Nylander alone wouldn't get Parayko. It's not an insult to them, it's just Parayko is that good and has that much upside.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion, but when Marner and Nylander are 22 years old we might be laughing at this proposal the other way around.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Comparables say otherwise.

Calder, Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe, 3 Cups, etc. etc. In addition to the hof, he will likely go down as the greatest American player ever. How many top-10 prospects have a Patrick Kane type career? Extremely few. How many fizzle out or end up just okay? Many. And you think you have two prospects who you expect to land on the Pat Kane side of the spectrum? Do you not realize how silly that sounds?

Sorry but I can't take your opinion on Leafs prospects seriously.

Funny, that's what I generally think of fans who say their prospects are the next Patrick Kane.

I think we would be ecstatic if both of those players turned out to be first liners, even if neither gets close to Kane's ability

That's perfectly reasonable.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You're definitely entitled to your opinion, but when Marner and Nylander are 22 years old we might be laughing at this proposal the other way around.

And in fairness, I'm a Parayko homer. I could be biased, I've said before he's my favourite non-Oiler :)

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I see Parayko is getting overvalued.

Agreed, gets somewhat sheltered in blues strong d and more of a defensive scheme. No doubt from what I've seen on the world cup, he could be very good. Let's reserve judgement until the end of this year. Bad year and the price comes down.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Larry Fitzgerald, finished his degree while still playing, in terms of hockey I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's pretty amazing to think that any athlete could do it though.

We have probably gone far enough down this tangent, but I want to say one last thing.

I thought of Larry Fitzgerald too when you said other athletes do this sort of thing. But with all due respect to you and Mr. Fitzgerald, there is an enormous difference between:

A) taking 15 years to finish a degree in Communications from the University of Phoenix while taking classes during the offseason. (link )

and

B) finishing a degree in Business Administration (taking classes like sports marketing, business continuity management and international business) during training camp while trying to break into a roster like the Blues and during the regular season and NHL playoffs while maintaining straight A's and playing the way Parayko did.

I do not think it is accurate to say "tons of athletes do this" but I agree with you that it is amazing. I know I could not have handled all that when I was 22.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Parayko wont be ever getting traded. I wouldn't be shocked if Nylander got traded(wont happen, but im just saying I wouldn't be shocked), but that's cause of Leafs young depth and they could get a good return. Doesn't mean one is better than other... it just shows that these teams are at different stages.

Leafs have INSANE forward depth that are skilled and Nylander could fetch them a very solid dman IF they ever shopped him. But that dman wont be Parayko cause Blues need him once Shattenkirk is gone

Love both players but this trade will never ever happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad