Value of: W. Nylander for Parayko

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Larry Fitzgerald, finished his degree while still playing, in terms of hockey I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's pretty amazing to think that any athlete could do it though.

Michael Jordan went back and finished his degree after being in the nba a couple years. I can't recall if Shaq graduated in three years or went back to finish his courses, but he also earned an mba.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
We have probably gone far enough down this tangent, but I want to say one last thing.

I thought of Larry Fitzgerald too when you said other athletes do this sort of thing. But with all due respect to you and Mr. Fitzgerald, there is an enormous difference between:

A) taking 15 years to finish a degree in Communications from the University of Phoenix while taking classes during the offseason. (link )

and

B) finishing a degree in Business Administration (taking classes like sports marketing, business continuity management and international business) during training camp while trying to break into a roster like the Blues and during the regular season and NHL playoffs while maintaining straight A's and playing the way Parayko did.

I do not think it is accurate to say "tons of athletes do this" but I agree with you that it is amazing. I know I could not have handled all that when I was 22.

Fair enough maybe not tons, but more than people think.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
When people compares Marner/Nylander to Kane, it's only a playing style based comparison. No one is saying they're gonna score 100 points and win 3 cups with The Leafs and a Conn Smythe. And if there are people saying that, they're delusional and you should just ignore them.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
The same Patrick Kane that scored 72 points as a 19 year old? The one that's one of 3 players to reach 100 points in the past 5 seasons? And the same William Nylander that will be at least 21 by the time he has a 72 point season, if ever?

There's actually probably more of a chance of Parayko outscoring Nylander next season than Nylander becoming as good as Kane.

Yeah the Same Patrick Kane that since 2009, excluding last year has been abound PPG. The argument is that he will reach the same level as Kane has been throughout his career while playing a similar type of game. The argument is not that he will take the exact same developement pointwise as Kane.

And Gaudreau who right now is PPG had played a game in the NHL three years ago. The point however was that TML should hold on to him

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Parayko has Norris candidate potential. I like the Leafs prospects but CP is worth more than any of their players or prospects. Yes, even Matthews. You always take the defenseman before the forward imo and Im convinced Parayko will be a better dman than Matthews a forward.

buttman*

Parayko is perhaps most uncommon in his work ethic and impossibly good intangibles. DA, Hitchcock and the Blues brass all seemingly have fallen in love with a kid who doesn't cause trouble and has an obsessive desire to get better.

Two to three weeks after the playoffs ended, many Blues' players were tweeting from vacation spots, etc. Parayko, who still doesn't have a Twitter account (doesn't seem to care about self-promotion), was back in St. Louis starting his off-season training program.

All of this is to say that this kid really is a notch above most guys in terms of desire to succeed, to please the organization and to improve his game. The Blues aren't likely to trade a kid with such character traits unless a serious overpayment is involved.

Nylander will probably be great...but the Blues management already know what they have in Parayko so I don't see them moving him unless a crazy offer is made.

Most players only take 2 weeks off. Not sure why the Blues players are taking 3+

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
When people compares Marner/Nylander to Kane, it's only a playing style based comparison. No one is saying they're gonna score 100 points and win 3 cups with The Leafs and a Conn Smythe. And if there are people saying that, they're delusional and you should just ignore them.
Both Marner and Nylander like to slow the game down much like Kane. I think Nylander shines the best when playing a higher tempo game ala Kessel, but we'll see how he forms chemistry with Auston.

Parayko has Norris candidate potential. I like the Leafs prospects but CP is worth more than any of their players or prospects. Yes, even Matthews. You always take the defenseman before the forward imo and Im convinced Parayko will be a better dman than Matthews a forward.
Matthews will be near-generational in the long-run.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

just no....

maybe wait till parayko gets some non sheltered playing time before calling him the next norris winner?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

:laugh:

Ridiculous..

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I find it funny it's mostly non Blues fans pumping Parayko's tires the most.

I'll say this thread has run its course. Blues brass believes Paryako is a top pairing dman, fans feel the same way. 99% of Blues fans have zero desire to trade him. No reason this went past the 1st page. Lock er up?

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I find it funny it's mostly non Blues fans pumping Parayko's tires the most.

I'll say this thread has run its course. Blues brass believes Paryako is a top pairing dman, fans feel the same way. 99% of Blues fans have zero desire to trade him. No reason this went past the 1st page. Lock er up?

No one is even saying that Paryako isn't a great young D either...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
would you like to say this now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad