Value of: W. Nylander for Parayko

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If this was available for the leafs the deal would already be done. They have lots of high end forward prospects, they dont have a top pairing level D prospect/player outside of Rielly.

I am sure if the leafs knew that they were getting Matthews, they would have picked Hanifin/Werenski/Provorov instead of Marner.

You should never speak in absolutes. You may think this, but I bet a lot of people would disagree with this assessment (myself included). Neither is right, neither is wrong.

The Leafs organization DOES have a lot of forward prospects. A lot of high-end is debatable. We have a lot of guys who could be NHLers, and even productive ones, but Matthews, Nylander and Marner are simply on a different level to the rest of our pool.

While we could certainly use another defensive prospect I think you'd see patience win out with this group of prospects. Patience on both sides of the coin. The patience to know, trading Nylander now may prove to be a huge mistake, and the patience to recognize that Parayko, while he looks great, is not a sure bet himself. If Nylander ultimately were traded, timing is everything. The Leafs rebuild isn't far enough along at this moment in time that swapping parts from F to D or vice versa makes sense.

I don't think knowing Matthews is here vs not changes anything at all tbh. You don't draft for position. Everyone knows this. If the Leafs believed that Hanifin or Provorov were the best available at #4 we would not have drafted Marner last year.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
What a ridiculous thread. I can respect the fact that Blues fans wouldn't want to move Parayko for Nylander, but he's getting a real lack of respect here. Discrediting him as a player because he hasn't played in the playoffs is just stupid, as is the truly rich comment that he must be bad because he looks like he could be in a boy band. I mean really? And Matthews is barely enough for Parayko? Oh lord.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
it honestly hurts my brain how over valued nylander is. the kid played a full ahl season and got eliminated in round 2. he isnt a world breaker iam sorry
So much wrong with this post. Nylander did not even play the full AHL season in 2015-2016 because he was in the World Juniors and then played the last few months with the Leafs, where he looked great. And no, the Marlies weren't eliminated in Round 2. And even if they were, you can't pin that on one player. What a stupid post.

buttman*

You don't trade young stud dmen unless they either want out or if someone offers a massive over payment (see Larsson for Hall trade). Parayko is a hell of a lot more valuable than Larsson, so I wouldn't even want to imagine what the return for him would look like.

When Chia Pet and Edmonton overpay for a player it doesn't make it a barometer for all future trades with a Dman and Foward involved.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can see why neither side here would have any interest in making this deal. I suspect both are extremely happy to keep the player they have.

I think the Leafs would do that in a heartbeat.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
When Chia Pet and Edmonton overpay for a player it doesn't make it a barometer for all future trades with a Dman and Foward involved.

Except it does influence it. Top-pairing right-handed defensemen are the most valuable asset in the game. You can expect to pay a premium for Parayko, and that's certainly more than Nylander.

buttman*

You could say the same thing about a younger Draisaitl. But I understand why you wouldn't be thrilled about the trade

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Parayko team NA's top pairing defenseman? I can't see how Leaf fans believe for a second that Willy Nylander is even close to the same value.
Huge RHD
or this
photo.php

I think the Blues want to build a hockey team not a boy band

This guy says hi

8476346.jpg

so does this guys

patrick-kane-88-nhl.jpg

such a dumb comment

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
it honestly hurts my brain how over valued nylander is. the kid played a full ahl season and got eliminated in round 2. he isnt a world breaker iam sorry

It hurts my brain when people like you post without knowing the most basic of facts.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Except it does influence it. Top-pairing right-handed defensemen are the most valuable asset in the game. You can expect to pay a premium for Parayko, and that's certainly more than Nylander.

Every trade has influences. The Hamilton trade didn't make top pairing RHD all of a sudden worth 2 2nd's, did it?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know how Leafs don't take this and run.

Parayko will be the closest thing to Pronger we've seen since Pronger. Yes, he's that good.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't know how Leafs don't take this and run.

Parayko will be the closest thing to Pronger we've seen since Pronger. Yes, he's that good.

It's because Nylander is an elite talent himself, and definitely has the potential to be an elite player that can play center.

It's way too early in either player's career to take one over the other convincingly IMO.

We just saw Parayko play a season as a 22 year-old, who knows what Nylander will be at the same age(2 years from now).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's because Nylander is an elite talent himself, and definitely has the potential to be an elite player that can play center.

It's way too early in either player's career to take one over the other convincingly IMO.

We just saw Parayko play a season as a 22 year-old, who knows what Nylander will be at the same age(2 years from now).

For what it's worth, I would trade any forward on the Oilers for Parayko not named McDavid.

Yeah, I would move Drai for Parayko that's how highly I think of him. Guys like him just don't come along every day.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You really need to add alot to Marner or Nylander to get Parayko. And you won't get him anyway.

Shattenkirk is the odd RHD out on the Blues. Hypothetically though if Parayko were traded the ideal return would be an elite cost controlled/prospect center such as Marner or Nylander. I guess it's possible there's a small add from Toronto but both of those prospects are top end.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Shattenkirk is the odd RHD out on the Blues. Hypothetically though if Parayko were traded the ideal return would be an elite cost controlled/prospect center such as Marner or Nylander. I guess it's possible there's a small add from Toronto but both of those prospects are top end.
Yeah, the Leafs wouldn't be "adding a lot" if a Parayko for Marner/Nylander swap were to happen.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, the Leafs wouldn't be "adding a lot" if a Parayko for Marner/Nylander swap were to happen.

They certainly would add. Where it's a "lot" or not maybe is debatable.

Parayko > Marner/Nylander

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Parayko has number 1 D potential. Nylander has top line potential. Its understandable why neither team wants to make the trade. No need to **** on the other teams player, both are elite talents. There's no incentive to make a deal. Move on.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
As a Hawks fan, outside of Matthews I wholeheartedly agree with any 1 for 1 deal that sends Parayko outside of the division and conference. This cannot happen fast enough in my view.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As a Hawks fan, outside of Matthews I wholeheartedly agree with any 1 for 1 deal that sends Parayko outside of the division and conference. This cannot happen fast enough in my view.

He's such a stud eh?

HFOils darling, he's from the EDM area and comes back to his roots in the offseason. He's got #1 Franchise D written all over him, great guy too.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Parayko has number 1 D potential. Nylander has top line potential. Its understandable why neither team wants to make the trade. No need to **** on the other teams player, both are elite talents. There's no incentive to make a deal. Move on.

Well said good sir. :nod:

I'll keep William Nylander.

Ok great! You keep your excellent young center prospect and we will keep our excellent young defender. Everybody wins! Maybe we can all just let this thread die...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad