W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulcrum

Hockey's changed in the last 5 years and so did the size requirements.

It's not as attractive these days to be 6-2 200lbs at the age of 18. This means that the player will likely round off at 6-3 220-230lbs. Unless he is a very powerful skater and has extremely soft hands (which is very rare, think Nash) he'll have a harder time standing out in a faster more mobile game nowadays.

That's why guys like Kucherov, who will probably round off at 6' 180-190 is able to be very mobile on the ice and it pays off. No more of the hooking era where fast players could be slowed down with a can opener or just a hook. RNH is another proof of how skill is more important than size nowadays.

Another interesting point about last years WJC, part of the reason Canada struggled in the 3rd period is because their size wore them down quicker than it did for the Russians, who were significantly lighter and more mobile. Of course it's just part of the reason..

kiluj

May 20, 2010
Samara, Russia
You really dont see difference?
1)Grigorenko is 1-2 years younger than Kucherov and Gusev.
2)That was the first Grigorenko's season in MHL.
3) There was only a couple of 1994 born players in MHL this year, and Grigorenko was absolutely the best among them.
4)More than half of the season in MHL he played on a line with Kamaev, that was Prokhorkin who played with Kucherov and Gusev mostly.
5)Every tournament he played last year with U-17 and U-18 teams he was among tournament's best players
Im a fan of Grigorenko, Kucherov and Gusev and I think the only reason Kucherov and Gusev are underrated in NA is the lack of information. They are well known in Russia, cause they play here but for NA fans the only source of information are international tournaments such as Hlinka, U18, U20. As far as I know Gusev didn't play a single game internationally this year or a year ago. Kucherov did, and he got some good press after U18 World championship. While Grigs has vast and successful international expirience. For example this is his third Hlinka tournament.
As for Hlinka games:
1)Grigorenko didn't have pre-season trainings with his team(Krasnaya armia) in Russia.
2)This Parfenov's team is a very defence-oriented team and its style differs from Rumyantsev's team style. They never scored many goals.
3)Hlinka tournament is not taken so serious in Russia as in North America

I agree with you. He is younger, less TOI, etc. That's don't mean he's bad. That's mean he's unproven in a long run. All these international tournaments are usually very short (6-7 games). And I find it strange that such unproven guy as Grigorenko is going to be top-5, and such guy as Gusev, dynamic player with excellent hands and skating, play-offs top scorer, who carried his team on the shoulders to Harlamov Cup, was not even drafted??? That's just... strange.

As for Gusev's small size - well, Datsyuk and St. Louis are small too.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
You really dont see difference?
1)Grigorenko is 1-2 years younger than Kucherov and Gusev.
2)That was the first Grigorenko's season in MHL.

true, but Kucherov's 1e year in the KHL he was over a point per game asswell, better then Grigorenko last year

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I guess that Kucherov's 2nd round draft is good for russian hockey. No point for him to go to the NHL and play with 3-4 liners. Perhaps if he'll become a star in the KHL, he'll get what he deserves there. Right now he's just another 2nd rounder for NA...

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
I guess that Kucherov's 2nd round draft is good for russian hockey. No point for him to go to the NHL and play with 3-4 liners. Perhaps if he'll become a star in the KHL, he'll get what he deserves there. Right now he's just another 2nd rounder for NA...
Getting drafted in the second round is not the end of the world, nor does it mean that he's relegated to the bottom 6 for all eternity. Even 1st round picks often start out in the bottom 6.

Sure, if Kucherov comes over he'll probably end up on the 3rd line for his first season. However, if he's successful, he'll probably get promoted to top 6 position.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Getting drafted in the second round is not the end of the world, nor does it mean that he's relegated to the bottom 6 for all eternity. Even 1st round picks often start out in the bottom 6.

Sure, if Kucherov comes over he'll probably end up on the 3rd line for his first season. However, if he's successful, he'll probably get promoted to top 6 position.

Kucherov getting drafted in the second round is a steal. Tampa has already said they expect great things from him so I doubt he'll sit on the 3/4 lines unless he doesn't transition like Filatov.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Kucherov getting drafted in the second round is a steal. Tampa has already said they expect great things from him so I doubt he'll sit on the 3/4 lines unless he doesn't transition like Filatov.

why didn't Tampa use one of the late picks to grab Gusev is beyond me, they could have carried' Tampa's offense for a long time together.

I watched the preseason games for CSKA and once again - luv the kid (Gusev). Kucherov showed himself like quite a finisher, should have had a hatty though.

As for Grigorenko he's an elite talent, I see him picking the steam up towards the 2nd half of the CHL season. Kamaev is also really good.

Han Solo

Laugh it up, fuzball
Aug 16, 2011
I really hope he decides to come to North America and develope for the lightning

Fulcrum

why didn't Tampa use one of the late picks to grab Gusev is beyond me, they could have carried' Tampa's offense for a long time together.

I watched the preseason games for CSKA and once again - luv the kid (Gusev). Kucherov showed himself like quite a finisher, should have had a hatty though.

As for Grigorenko he's an elite talent, I see him picking the steam up towards the 2nd half of the CHL season. Kamaev is also really good.

The thing about Gusev is that he is not just small, but actually petite. Very impressive, no doubt- but the best way to find him on the ice is to look for a kid looking like player.

I mean, he is smaller than Burmistrov, Khokhlachev and so on. It's tough to imagine him playing among men from NHL in the next few years. It's just not possible to effectively put on that much weight without loosing something. I can see the concern NHL scouts have.

We'll see how his game translates to KHL this year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Can't believe my comment was deleted.

I commented to the poster who said Gusev and Kucherov could have carried the Lightning for years. C'mon...that's laughable saying that about a guy who WASN'T EVEN DRAFTED, and 2 Russians no less.

Ben Conz syndrome.

have you ever seen them play? are you aware that kids out of Russia who can easily go 2nd-3rd round go undrafted due to "russian factor" and the ones that should be drafted in the first round end up being drafted in the 2nd-3rd?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
The thing about Gusev is that he is not just small, but actually petite. Very impressive, no doubt- but the best way to find him on the ice is to look for a kid looking like player.

I mean, he is smaller than Burmistrov, Khokhlachev and so on. It's tough to imagine him playing among men from NHL in the next few years. It's just not possible to effectively put on that much weight without loosing something. I can see the concern NHL scouts have.

We'll see how his game translates to KHL this year.

I agree - Gusev is very small - but he sure looks good in the KHL already.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
have you ever seen them play? are you aware that kids out of Russia who can easily go 2nd-3rd round go undrafted due to "russian factor" and the ones that should be drafted in the first round end up being drafted in the 2nd-3rd?

I'm talking about the dude who went undrafted. Kucherov is another story. I don't need to see Gusev play to know he's not an NHL prospect (at the moment) if he goes undrafted. You remind me of the Ben Conz lovers.

To say that Gusev, an undrafted small player, would have carried the Lightning for years, is just about the funniest/most biased thing I've read on these boards.

There's clearly a reason why teams go 6 rounds without drafting this guy, no matter how good he is in the MHL.

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I'm talking about the dude who went undrafted. Kucherov is another story. I don't need to see Gusev play to know he's not an NHL prospect (at the moment) if he goes undrafted. You remind me of the Ben Conz lovers.

To say that Gusev, an undrafted small player, would have carried the Lightning for years, is just about the funniest/most biased thing I've read on these boards.

There's clearly a reason why teams go 6 rounds without drafting this guy, no matter how good he is in the MHL.

I know! Right? Imagine a small undrafted player ever carrying the lightning's offence! Crazy to think about...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I know! Right? Imagine a small undrafted player ever carrying the lightning's offence! Crazy to think about...

oh-snap.jpg

Fulcrum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMuvcvyF6M

Gusev's highligh reel is more impressive (To me) than Kucherov's. And the goals he scored were extremely important to the championship team. Including a nice one in the final game. Yes, I know he is older.

He reminds me a lot of Samsonov in his prime. Very shifty, quick, agile, soft hands player.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
while I agree that any of the 3 aforementioned have profitied from playing on the same line, I'm pretty sure none of them is a sheer product of the others.

what they have in common IMO is, that they all are smart players, who know how to use talented teammates effectively.... something that was significant for russian (sovjet) hockey in the 80s, and got totally lost over time, and ended in recent past with highlight-reel players, unable to properly adjust to line mates like Ovechkin, Zherdev or Kovalchuck (who improved a lot over the last 2 years though in that departement in my opinion).

I'm more than glad to see this change of trend again.

Btw, what I've noticed over the last 2 years , anybody playing alongside Gusev really profitied statwise, (Namestnikov, Barbashev, Prohorkin (look at his pointdrop after being moved from Gusev's line last year), Kucherov or Grigorenko). and this fact is one of the biggest compliments for a player.

a tiny, fast and shifty guy with golden hands and vision and a big heart.... I can see were the comparsions to St.Louis come from...

Fulcrum

The line of Kartaev Gusev and Kucherov looks promising after today's game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad