AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread: Now featuring Emil Larmi, Kasper Bjorkqvist and many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Matt Moulson laboring in the A. Didn't realize that. He's made over $37 million in his career. Either he's blown it or, at 36, really loves the game.

You really don't see too many players who make that kind of money in their careers spending their coda on an AHL contract.

To be fair he was still really good at the AHL level last year, so he could have just not been ready to step aside yet even if the NHL is firmly in his rear-view mirror.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
As I’ve mentioned, I don’t follow the Baby Pens too closely. Just saw Bjorkqvist is done for the year. That’s too bad. Kid is a beast in the weight room.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Unfortunately, how much you can trap shrug has very little bearing on how you can play the game. Or even if you can manage to make it a whole season, apparently.
giphy.gif

Do not besmirch the good name shrug! MY TRAPS HAVE THEIR OWN ZIPCODE!

:laugh:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Hes 6'5 with skill and can skate...who actually uses his size to play physical game.

In his 2nd season now for WBS, he will get his chance. Cant see them letting him go without getting one.

I see him as a Joel Armia type. Who was on That great Jets 4th line with Tanev for years. Now 26 and having his best season with 11g 7a. Would usually have 10-15g 10-15a type seasons like the typical 4th liners of this era. Cant get by with only putting up 1 goal 5 assists over 82 games like back in the day lol. Need some skill too.

Not a rush for Angello(when we are healthy) since I dont see more than the same 10g 15a type seaons at first. But he should get to play this next month until Sid/PH are back. age 26-27 years is when he could take that next step becoming a 20+ goal scorer. Skipped his senior year at Cornell(was a ppg player there all 3 seasons) to sign here. But right now he could at least give us that toughness Sully/JR have been wanting while able to pitch in offensively.

Looking more forward to him than the all of the others besides the top tier prospects(Poulin, Legare, Hallander, Bjorkvist,POJ,Addison).

Last edited:

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Unfortunately, how much you can trap shrug has very little bearing on how you can play the game. Or even if you can manage to make it a whole season, apparently.

Somebody’s having a bad morning :laugh:. Sheesh, just trying to give the kid some credit on his work ethic. Drink some caffeine and enjoy the rest of your day a little better.

And it was a full Deadlift, by the way. Just an FYI.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Somebody’s having a bad morning :laugh:. Sheesh, just trying to give the kid some credit on his work ethic. Drink some caffeine and enjoy the rest of your day a little better.

And it was a full Deadlift, by the way. Just an FYI.

I refuse to acknowledge those sissy-ass newfangled trap bars as appropriate for deadlifts. Git gud, scrub! :laugh:

But seriously, I respect Bjorkvist for being a meathead, but this is his second major injury already, so I'm not entirely sure his vaunted workout routine is doing him any good, at least in terms of his hockey development. :dunno:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Hes 6'5 with skill and can skate...who actually uses his size to play physical game.

In his 2nd season now for WBS, he will get his chance. Cant see them letting him go without getting one.

I see him as a Joel Armia type. Who was on That great Jets 4th line with Tanev for years. Now 26 and having his best season with 11g 7a. Would usually have 10-15g 10-15a type seasons like the typical 4th liners of this era. Cant get by with only putting up 1 goal 5 assists over 82 games like back in the day lol. Need some skill too.

Not a rush for Angello(when we are healthy) since I dont see more than the same 10g 15a type seaons at first. But he should get to play this next month until Sid/PH are back. age 26-27 years is when he could take that next step becoming a 20+ goal scorer. Skipped his senior year at Cornell(was a ppg player there all 3 seasons) to sign here. But right now he could at least give us that toughness Sully/JR have been wanting while able to pitch in offensively.

Looking more forward to him than the all of the others besides the top tier prospects(Poulin, Legare, Hallander, Bjorkvist,POJ,Addison).

I guess i meant more why do we want to play a ok prospect over a guy we know is an NhL player. I dont see the need to move an elite defensive winger off you 4th line just for s&g’s

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Angello has been getting looks on the first line lately and he's been making the most of it. Hopefully he continues producing, because he's got all the attribute to become a successful 4th liner at the NHL level.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Angello has been getting looks on the first line lately and he's been making the most of it. Hopefully he continues producing, because he's got all the attribute to become a successful 4th liner at the NHL level.

For sure. With the chance of being that 3rd line type(another prospect who can play Center if needed). We see that with alot of players now. Starting off on the 4th and working their way up. Theres more Kapanen, Armia, JGP, William Karrlson, etc types that are starting in bottom 6(no matter the talent that team has, its just based on the type of prospect that player is. For example Bjorkvist would likely start on 4th line, and Poulin the 1st/2nd
And Way less Adams, Glass types. And even guys like Draper, Maltby, McCarty who all won 4 cups with the Wings, and were solid defensively Prob wouldn't have lasted that long in today's game. Even if one has the speed, you eventually need to put up points.

There's just more talent now due to US, Finland getting much better and developing double the amount than in the past(Fins have really changed the game the past 5 years or so). To go with Canada, Russia, Sweden , and the Czech republic to a smaller extent. Then you have your mix of smaller countries who may have done well in the WC like Germany for example. Now they are getting more coming from there.

But US and Finland is whats making the league filled with skill from top to bottom. We are seeing this each year. When you look at records only...you see teams that you assume are bad. Then look at their roster and see a ton of quality players. Especially if comparing to teams from last decade.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'll be honest, I was kind of thinking that too, but I don't think he's near that size.

With him, it could be more that he’s not focusing on the right things. He’s not bodybuilder huge but maybe he prioritized the weight things he was doing too much. With all of the LBIs this season, him blowing his knee out and them looking at the trainers I do wonder.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
With him, it could be more that he’s not focusing on the right things. He’s not bodybuilder huge but maybe he prioritized the weight things he was doing too much. With all of the LBIs this season, him blowing his knee out and them looking at the trainers I do wonder.

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way. You might be very well on to something.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I refuse to acknowledge those sissy-ass newfangled trap bars as appropriate for deadlifts. Git gud, scrub! :laugh:

But seriously, I respect Bjorkvist for being a meathead, but this is his second major injury already, so I'm not entirely sure his vaunted workout routine is doing him any good, at least in terms of his hockey development. :dunno:

Damn, I didn’t know this was his second serious injury.

I like the Trap Bar, good for variation IMO. Obviously easier than the straight bar. And I think most strength coaches nowadays are programming the trap bar instead. But yeah, the straight bar is the better way to test pure strength.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You know, I hadn't thought about it that way. You might be very well on to something.

Maybe. It could also just be that his body can’t handle it all or bad luck. Whatever it is, it’s not beneficial to his development to be missing a season and the physical specimen breaking down so young isn’t good.

Damn, I didn’t know this was his second serious injury.

His second and very close together. He had shoulder surgery the summer of 2019 from an injury he suffered late in the season and made it 6 games into the 2019-20 season before his knee injury.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Actually, I think it's his third significant injury. He spent the last 2 Summers rehabbing injuries. I don't recall them actually announcing what his first one was, I just remember him rehabbing during prospect camp and that it wasn't a short term thing.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yikes, that's not good.
Yep. I tried to find more info but all I could dig up was from prospect camp where they called it "minor" but in true Pens fashion, I'm pretty sure he was till rehabbing into August. So, who knows. It's definitely a real concern though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'll be honest, I was kind of thinking that too, but I don't think he's near that size.

from my pretty limited knowledge pool of listening to my mom over the years (she’s a PT), I think flexibility, not size is the main issue.

But dont take my word for it lol

Most likely though the kid just had a tough break.

Edit: guess he’s been hurt before, so maybe there is something there.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bjorkvist is a second round pick that did improve at Providence. But he is at best a third line or fourth line winger for the Pens if recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce