Pre-Game Talk: vs. Wings as Habs Try to Earn Theirs (7PM Tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
so ?
Because it never happen in the past means it couldn't happen to the future ? i disagree

I doubt that's what Millhouse was saying. Seems they were just pointing out the fact that we have now laid claim to one of the more dubious records in hockey. Will be a tough one to beat.

Reactions: Milhouse40

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Habs are only 4 points of the Stanley dynasty winner Tampa Bay
FCYzUBtWEAMPgRt.jpg

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I doubt that's what Millhouse was saying. Seems they were just pointing out the fact that we have now laid claim to one of the more dubious records in hockey. Will be a tough one to beat.
I see. But still... in the end of the season what it does mean?
My point is that i don't care about those kind of stats ; They only show a "tunnel vision" of the reality, in a thin laps of time. In fact, could we count on this kind of facts to evaluate the team/coaches/DG ?

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
My point is that i don't care about those kind of stats ; They only show a "tunnel vision" of the reality, in a thin laps of time. In fact, could we count on this kind of facts to evaluate the team/coaches/DG ?
It's the current context of the beginning of the season that we can use along with the context of previous seasons to make assessments. Tunnel vision would be making excuses and acting as if people aren't putting the current horrible start into proper context to try to dunk on them.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Agreed - this is a small window and it's not like we're going to lose all 82 games. But losing Price and Weber is a huge blow to a team that is built to win 1 goal games.

On a high level I think it's obvious that we're worse off than last year. We're seeing what happens when you replace an all time talent with a backup and a 25 minute/night giant with Savard. And it's obviously not pretty.

Reactions: malcb33

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When was the last time there was no game day thread at 1pm on game day??

Zxlime

Feb 26, 2012
Just curious -- question for those thinking this is all on the coaching staff; Do you think any other coach would do significantly better with the current defense?

We are missing 50% of our Top4 in Weber and Edmonson. Add Price's rare ability to break dumps and act as a 3rd D-man, with a truggling Romanov and from a coach's standpoint, that can be a riddle with no solution. No system can fix a D-Man that has a poor gap or no game IQ -- not at the NHL level.

Without saying that this is all that is mssing, Edmonson's eventual return will be huge for this defense. It will remove some minutes from struggling Ds.

Our biggest contributors on the PK last year were Byron, Danault, Edmonson, Weber and Price. Those guys are all either gone or injured. It is no surprise that the PK now struggles.

With the elements we do have, though, i struggle to explain how this PP can struggle so much. That one I would be tempted to pin more on the coaching staff.

As a side note, outside of the Leafs, all our opponents so far have had stellar start to their seasons. Maybe part of our woes can be explained by those teams just clicking (against all odds). Unlikely, but still; who saw San Jose going 4-0 and New-York & Buffalo 3-1?

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just curious -- question for those thinking this is all on the coaching staff; Do you think any other coach would do significantly better with the current defense?

We are missing 50% of our Top4 in Weber and Edmonson. Add Price's rare ability to break dumps and act as a 3rd D-man, with a truggling Romanov and from a coach's standpoint, that can be a riddle with no solution. No system can fix a D-Man that has a poor gap or no game IQ -- not at the NHL level.

Without saying that this is all that is mssing, Edmonson's eventual return will be huge for this defense. It will remove some minutes from struggling Ds.

Our biggest contributors on the PK last year were Byron, Danault, Edmonson, Weber and Price. Those guys are all either gone or injured. It is no surprise that the PK now struggles.

With the elements we do have, though, i struggle to explain how this PP can struggle so much. That one I would be tempted to pin more on the coaching staff.

As a side note, outside of the Leafs, all our opponents so far have had stellar start to their seasons. Maybe part of our woes can be explained by those teams just clicking (against all odds). Unlikely, but still; who saw San Jose going 4-0 and New-York & Buffalo 3-1?
Not with the defense but forwards are supposed to be our strength and they have sucked

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
An honest question guys. If we lose again tonight. Like how many games does the team go before they write the season off. I know in the lockerroom they will say they never give up.

I just look at the number 0-5-0 is really rough. The Habs are always known around the mid point or a little after they tend to go on losing streaks. I just look at if they start winning can they afford really any 3 game losing streaks down the stretch to even have chances. Just they are in a huge hole and seems like most teams that make the playoffs make the playoffs with less than 30 regulation losses. So looking at that they can't really lose 25 more regulation games in 77 more games.

So if this losing streak continues say tonight when do you think the season could be a wrap. Because Bergevin has told LeBrun that they aren't making deals and riding with this squad in the next little while.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
An honest question guys. If we lose again tonight. Like how many games does the team go before they write the season off. I know in the lockerroom they will say they never give up.

I just look at the number 0-5-0 is really rough. The Habs are always known around the mid point or a little after they tend to go on losing streaks. I just look at if they start winning can they afford really any 3 game losing streaks down the stretch to even have chances. Just they are in a huge hole and seems like most teams that make the playoffs make the playoffs with less than 30 regulation losses. So looking at that they can't really lose 25 more regulation games in 77 more games.

So if this losing streak continues say tonight when do you think the season could be a wrap. Because Bergevin has told LeBrun that they aren't making deals and riding with this squad in the next little while.

Assuming they lose tonight and that you need 96 points to make the playoffs, they would need to play ,632 for the rest of the season.

Not likely, but extrapolating over 6 games is anyone’s guess. Weren’t we statistically basically guaranteed a playoff spot the year we started something like 10-0 and ended up missing anyway?

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

Let's say they write this season off, what are they supposed to do then?

KikoHunter

Jun 6, 2021
So I haven't been paying attention to the rest of the league since the Habs have been such a snooze as always but the leafs and their fanbase are still in meltdown mode and I had no idea. The level of entertainment I've had from reading leaf fans comments and reactions has been higher than anything the Habs have triggered in me this season so far.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Let's say they write this season off, what are they supposed to do then?
I'd look to dump ufas and veterans with 1 extra year left.

Lehkonen
Chiarot
Byron
Drouin
Wideman
Kulak
Brooks
Paquette
Perreault

Call up young guys and ride the rest of the season out while obtaining picks and other prospects.

Anderson Suzuki Gallagher
Toffoli Dvorak Caufield
Hoffman Poehling Armia
Pezzetta Evans Ylonen
Bezile

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Savard
Norlinder Niku
Brook

Allen
Montembeault

We're losing now but I'd rather see guys competing to stay up and giving it their all and fight to win instead of losing with the older guys we have now.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
EZ win.

Detroit has no chance.

There is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY that the Wings win tonight. None.

Yea that's what we all thought the last 5 games too.

Aint no way MTL doesnt come out FLYING and plays a raging 60 minutes.

*loses 3-0 to the Red Wings*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad