Pre-Game Talk: VS Arizona Coyotes 7pm start on SNW/CHED

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Their record against the higher end teams this year is pretty damn good. Some of their best games have been against teams near the top of the league (NYI, Wash), but seeing the stinkers they put in against dredg's like Minnesota, Detroit and New Jersey (even though they won that one) shows just how far they still have to go.

Looking at their 5 losses so far, 3 of them were against the bottom 4 teams in the Central (combined record of 16-22-4 and another against Detroit (4-10-1). The only loss against a playoff team they have so far is Florida (7-3-4) after they basically busted Mike Smith's balls. The combined record of teams they've lost to is 27-35-9 which is pretty damn close to the record some recent lottery winning teams have earned in a season.
Stinkers?? those were some desperate teams and for you or any fan to take any team for granted in this league is pretty shameful. Don't give a crap about any teams record. On any given night any team can beat any team in the league. You do realize that these players are in the nhl for a reason and if you play a good system game and work hard anyone can beat anyone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Stinkers?? those were some desperate teams and for you or any fan to take any team for granted in this league is pretty shameful. Don't give a crap about any teams record. On any given night any team can beat any team in the league. You do realize that these players are in the nhl for a reason and if you play a good system game and work hard anyone can beat anyone

My comment wasn't pointed to the other team as much as it was the Oilers. The Oilers played like crap in Minnesota, Detroit and New Jersey. Yes, those teams played well, but the Oilers also played like crap. If you don't show up, even the lesser teams can embarrass you. which happened in those games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Also just win the damn game. I still remember those horror shows we used to put on against the Coyotes and beating them a few years ago was a real turning point for the team.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I don't mind Chiasson moving to the top line. Moving Khiara to line 2 for a couple games, he started to look way better. Cave and Haas being recalled and they look better. Maybe breaking the goose egg for Chiasson is what he needs. Then if you can have ~4 guys in the bottom 6 going at the same time maybe they actually start to produce.

The "zero goals from the bottom 6" starts to distract the team if it's prolonged (I.e. Reider) . Tippet is doing something about it so that is not where the team focus is.

I'm sure Tippett wants to beat his old team so hopefully the boys come out and play with some fire tonight.

Calling a low scoring affair tonight. No score prediction as it's been unlucky of late.

Go Oilers!

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
My comment wasn't pointed to the other team as much as it was the Oilers. The Oilers played like crap in Minnesota, Detroit and New Jersey. Yes, those teams played well, but the Oilers also played like crap. If you don't show up, even the lesser teams can embarrass you. which happened in those games.
first of all two teams play and the other team wants to win just as bad as the oilers. Just because they don't score lots of goals and win doesn't mean they played like crap. All it takes is the other team to get the first goal and then that alters the way we play. Hockey is a game of luck too. I agree we didn't play well in Minnesota though but that was a very desperate team who needed a win .

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
21-3 for the Oilers

Bottom 6 gets an assist, which gets removed 2 days later when reviewed by the NHL

Reactions: Mez

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Even if/when the Oilers beat the Yotes tonight.. you know there will more than a small number of people saying they beat another weak team because the Yotes aren't even top 8 in the West currently.

It's amazing just how many weak and poor teams there are in the NHL this year when after facing 15 opponents... the Oilers still haven't played any good team yet. :)
Oilers are bad team

Therefore any team we beat is bad

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It obviously had a hot start that’s artificially boosting the percentage. Of course it was gonna come down, but we are running a PP that has gone 10% in the last 10 games. As others have mentioned our PP has been less than efficient as of late and a lot of that has to do with the fact that we don’t have a shot from the point and there’s no right shot for a one timer option.

Bear fixes both of those problems. It’s worth a shot to see if he can handle it. Hell, if Bear doesn’t work, I’d rather have Nurse on the top unit. I’ll take anything over Klefbom and his muffins from the point and his obviously telegraphed passes.

Dont get me wrong...I am not against any adjustments to the PP.

I think Bear is an interesting possibility for the PP. I would be all for that.

As for the PP stats...we can throw togther any number of games to make it look worse than it is...overall though its been pretty good.
I just dont see it as a problem area right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Problem is it's been at about 10% the past 10 games, iirc.

There are going to be variances for sure. If you look at the last 2 games the PP has been fine.
That said I am not against adding a player like Bear on the PP...its intriguing to me to see how he handles that.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
With Koskinen's record it'll be a win. Not an easy game, but he's been so good every team is beatable when he's at his very best. Don't know if it'll last, but until that changes I'm feeling optimistic every time he's on the net.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
first of all two teams play and the other team wants to win just as bad as the oilers. Just because they don't score lots of goals and win doesn't mean they played like crap. All it takes is the other team to get the first goal and then that alters the way we play. Hockey is a game of luck too. I agree we didn't play well in Minnesota though but that was a very desperate team who needed a win .

The three games I'm referring to, I'm pretty sure the Oilers played like crap by more metrics than just goals for and goals against. There was a bit of the dead cat bounce in the third to make the Detroit game look more respectable, but they were badly outplayed in those games.

Anyways, I think we're a bit off topic because what I was really trying to draw attention to was the fact that despite people sloughing off the Oilers record because of the teams they've played, I wanted to re-iterate that they've actually done quite well against the teams people would expect they'd lose to, and haven't just beat up on struggling teams.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No kidding it won't be easy lol no games in the nhl are easy. Phoenix will be very tough to beat tonight. I would be impressed if the OIlers come off their road trip and beat this very good team tonight.

Yes..of course. No NHL games are easy. That goes without saying.

I am just suggesting that this game is going to be more of a challenge than some posters think its going to be.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There are going to be variances for sure. If you look at the last 2 games the PP has been fine.
That said I am not against adding a player like Bear on the PP...its intriguing to me to see how he handles that.

I'm torn on that. I love the idea of having Bear at the point, because he's a right shot and is our best offensive d-man, but also I think the Nuge drop pass from the half wall is a nice little element on our PP and having a right-handed shot on the point essentially eliminates that. This may be a radical idea of sorts, but what about Bear in the Ovi-spot and McDavid on the point?

Neal
Bear-Draisaitl-RNH
McDavid

Nuge and Draisaitl work well as passers from the right side and McDavid can create space from the point. Bear would be in a good shooting position too. McDavid is also probably fast enough to make up for any issues on the blue line.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The 14% it's been at the last two games would put it at 25th in the league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm torn on that. I love the idea of having Bear at the point, because he's a right shot and is our best offensive d-man, but also I think the Nuge drop pass from the half wall is a nice little element on our PP and having a right-handed shot on the point essentially eliminates that. This may be a radical idea of sorts, but what about Bear in the Ovi-spot and McDavid on the point?

Neal
Bear-Draisaitl-RNH
McDavid

Nuge and Draisaitl work well as passers from the right side and McDavid can create space from the point. Bear would be in a good shooting position too. McDavid is also probably fast enough to make up for any issues on the blue line.

Totally valid points.
I just like Bears ability to walk the line and find lanes to the net. I think that he might be an upgrade on Klefbom in that regard. It may add another element for the other team to be concerned about.

Reactions: nabob and ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The 14% it's been at the last two games would put it at 25th in the league.

I think they scored one immediately after the PP (same possession) which makes those number deceiving.
In any event I dont see the PP as a major area of concern right now.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
This is going to be a tough one. Predicting overtime or we lay a big dump and walked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad