VOYNOV update?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That's a ridiculous statement. I am surprised, I'm surprised they haven't made some type of public statement of some sorts to let this guy back in already. Dany Heatley killed someone and never missed a game...

As did Craig MacTavish drunk driving. Served a year in prison and was back the year after. Not only that he has made a career as a coach and in management.

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
That's a ridiculous statement. I am surprised, I'm surprised they haven't made some type of public statement of some sorts to let this guy back in already. Dany Heatley killed someone and never missed a game...

You have to wonder how Dany Heatley would have been treated if he was russian and how Voinov had been treated if he was American or Canadian.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
While I won't lose any sleep if he never plays in the NHL again, it is strange that this is the same league that still trots out Bobby Hull at events.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, it doesn’t make sense for Voynov to leave the KHL to come over here and...not play hockey?

I personally think the NHL is dragging its feet on this case because the details are particularly gruesome and damning. The NHL, like any other corporate entity, wants to appease and exploit social justice initiatives to elevate their own image. It’s ridiculous to think of the NHL grandstanding about any social issue when they’ve outright ignored concussion problems for decades. Personally I'd like to see the Kings get Voynov back and in the lineup. He was our 2nd best D-man by far!

I’ve always been of the opinion that if Voynov pays his debt to society in the eyes of the law, he should be allowed to play again. Whether or not a team wants to actually sign him is within their right as a private organization. But he should be allowed to play.

Personally, like others have said, the Kings don’t have any use for Voynov on the ice at this point, so I’d rather they move on.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This actually is an update. I'm watching the Habs/Leafs game and during the 2nd intermission Freidman says, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he expects the league to announce another lengthy suspension on top of his current one within the next week. He says Voynov could appeal.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
This actually is an update. I'm watching the Habs/Leafs game and during the 2nd intermission Freidman says, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he expects the league to announce another lengthy suspension on top of his current one within the next week. He says Voynov could appeal.

He should appeal and he should win. This is just a ridiculous amount of time and suspension for this after the Watson case. Dont get me wrong, what he did was horrible but he does deserve a fair 2nd chance. The NHL is taking a hard stance which is good for them and other professional leagues to do but this might turn around and bit them harder in the ass.

Reactions: King'sPawn

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

This will establish precedence for the suspension length for DV felons. My guess is 40 games, knocked down to 25 on appeal.

Have we actually heard whether VV is cleared by the US / CA to work here?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's honestly a bit crazy how hard they're coming down on Voynov. No one comes close to his punishment.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This will establish precedence for the suspension length for DV felons. My guess is 40 games, knocked down to 25 on appeal.

He doesn’t have a criminal record, so I would assume yes.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

LOL, what...a....joke. It's taken them 7+months, another 82 games for them to decide on a lengthy suspension? Wow.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The NHL has bumbled the f*** out of this case in light of other cases.

If they want to use SV to set an example, they did a piss poor job with Austin Watson. If they wanted to set precedent with Austin Watson, they've done a piss poor job with VV.

In either case, they'd benefit from a written policy, then at least they can blame the paperwork instead of themselves for holding ultimate power over a non-transparent, jumbled process.

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
I think the league is doing this for optics and fully expects the Players Association to appeal and have it overturned. "Hey we tried but the Union fought it" case. Everybody Pat's themselves on the back and back to business.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
We are already in lawsuit territory. I think VV is showing great patience.

I don't think the average Russian immigrant completely understands the process of a lawsuit here in America. If Voynov did he would have lawyered up long ago and put the NHL in it's place. The guy has no record! How would the NHL possibly defend itself? Slava may make more through a massive lawsuit than continuing playing hockey.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Seeing the punishment handed down to Austin Watson, I can see them saying he's getting 20-25 games because Voynov already did Jail time, he went through and completed court orderd treatment and as has been quoted, the NHL has no specific protocol on how to deal with this... I'll go out and say Slava will be playing on NHL ice after the All-Star game if not sooner

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

He's not a felon. Huge difference. He plead no contest to a misdemeanor. He'll appeal with the NHLPA's help and win. Player's association will not let stand such a lengthy suspension, politically correct or not.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He's not a felon. Huge difference. He plead no contest to a misdemeanor. He'll appeal with the NHLPA's help and win. Player's association will not let stand such a lengthy suspension, politically correct or not.

On top of that, his record was expunged. He does not have a criminal record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad