VOYNOV update?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
This actually is an update. I'm watching the Habs/Leafs game and during the 2nd intermission Freidman says, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he expects the league to announce another lengthy suspension on top of his current one within the next week. He says Voynov could appeal.

How convenient. The season is over and now they're coming out with a decision? Bunch of clowns.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Seeing the punishment handed down to Austin Watson, I can see them saying he's getting 20-25 games because Voynov already did Jail time, he went through and completed court orderd treatment and as has been quoted, the NHL has no specific protocol on how to deal with this... I'll go out and say Slava will be playing on NHL ice after the All-Star game if not sooner

LOL, the guy has missed what, like 5 seasons now over this....that’s 400+ games. Now it’s important to give him another 25 cause that’s what Watson got? f***ing stupid and ridiculous.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I want to know why the players assn didn’t get involved here. The league drags their feet for a full season and then (maybe) issue a suspension. I’m not approving of what he did, but the time off is ridiculous.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
LOL, the guy has missed what, like 5 seasons now over this....that’s 400+ games. Now it’s important to give him another 25 cause that’s what Watson got? ****ing stupid and ridiculous.

Because they’re idiots!!! He should have gotten an immediate hearing and been reinstated but it’s all a PR move

Reactions: Smart Alek

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I want to know why the players assn didn’t get involved here. The league drags their feet for a full season and then (maybe) issue a suspension. I’m not approving of what he did, but the time off is ridiculous.

I wonder if he doesn't sue the NHL after his playing days are over

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Interesting.
Voynov: Manchester - played 266 reg. season and 16 playoff games (total 282)

Voynov: Los Angeles - played 190 reg. season and 64 playoff games (total 254)

He really didn't spend a lot of time with the Kings. Less than 2 1/2 seasons.

Edit: Even when the incident occured it seemed like he had been in the NHL much longer than he was. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

The German Grinder 9

Apr 6, 2019
Yeah, that's a lit bit curious with V playing so long in the AHL ... maybe that's a good idea for Clague and Mickey to develop really good D's for the future.

But what's going on with V ... Blake + R should try to get him back into the lineup for the next season(s). I think he can lead the 2nd D pairing easily with a little bit adjustment time + the right head coach (team). And if it don't work out, trade him for some assets/picks. He has done his guilty and until there are no internal issues from that time which are show-stoppers still today ... give it a try ... and that his wife is still with him + they are a family ... these are very positive signs and telling something ...

So, after the years a second chance is "earned" in my opinion!

Last edited:
Reactions: BallPointHammer

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If he’s reinstated, I don’t think the Kings own his rights anymore. And they shouldn’t sign him anyways. It’s bad business for management to sign VV and expect him to reintegrate with the fan base. Given how bad the roster is, there is no way VV is going to make a difference in the standings that is worth the cost in fan relations.

I don’t believe in lifetime employment bans for anyone, out of principle. So I do think he will play again in the NHL. And, you hope that return does something positive for victims of DV, but that may be a lot to expect.

The German Grinder 9

Apr 6, 2019
Ah, i don't think the roster is bad. Remember the days in the middle (2/3) of the season, where we were in playoff spot "contention" after a great winning streak (only some points away from a wild card spot). And we all agree that some of our top players of the past seasons have a down year (compete level-wise mostly). But with the right new coach and injection of top prospects + FA's ... this team is not finished ... not with a core of Kopi, Brown, Drew and Quick, if the performance is right next season. And i don't give up on Carter so fast ... he has a bad year but look at the years before ... a #1(b) center on the 2nd center spot ...

But okay, the fan base thing is something to consider ... otherwise we are in hollywood and with maybe the right PR "campaign" and re-introduction ... i'm a positive thinker and many things can happen (and not of course) ... just exploring the possibilities ;)

PS: The longer off-season could do wonders, too ... for a fresh start next season.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Given how bad the roster is, there is no way VV is going to make a difference in the standings that is worth the cost in fan relations.

You know the best way to build fan relations? WINNING...

If you don't think adding a #2 dman to this team would help them win some more games, then you haven't looked at the pathetic stats from this season.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Ah, i don't think the roster is bad. Remember the days in the middle (2/3) of the season, where we were in playoff spot "contention" after a great winning streak (only some points away from a wild card spot). And we all agree that some of our top players of the past seasons have a down year (compete level-wise). But with the right new coach and injection of top prospects + FA's ... this team is not finished ... not with a core of Kopi, Drew and Quick, if the performance is right next season. And i don't give up on Carter so fast ... he has a bad year but look at the years before ... a #1(b) center on the 2nd center spot ...

But okay, the fan base thing is something to consider ... otherwise we are in hollywood and with maybe the right "campaigne" and reintruduction ... i'm a positive thinker and many things can be happen (and not of course) ... just exploring the possibilities ;)

Thanks for that, Marco Sturm, but I think you should polish it up a bit before your interview for head coach this week.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
You know the best way to build fan relations? WINNING...

If you don't think adding a #2 dman to this team would help them win some more games, then you haven't looked at the pathetic stats from this season.

If they win the lottery and overhaul the roster, I can see how VV moves the needle. But if it’s basically the same players plus Voynov, I don’t feel confident saying the wins would suddenly start piling up.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He’ll appeal and get half that... I assumed he’d be back by the All-Star game and Gary Bitchman said No!

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The idea that has been floating around these boards that he was the missing piece of the puzzle that prevented us from winning more cups is overblown excuse-making.

Regarding the suspension, he did an end-run to the KHL to circumvent any NHL punishment and make his money, and the NHL wants to send an example because of it.

Voynov did fine for himself away from the NHL. He was the third-highest-paid player in the KHL in 2016 (and I don't feel like looking up other years) behind Kovalchuk and Datsyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad