VOYNOV update?

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Haven’t there been 2 or 3 other domestic violence cases that have occurred, and been resolved in the time Voynov has been waiting? I know where all supposed to be like “yeah f*** this piece of shit” but can the league just take as long as they want to reinvesitigate a case that has already been adjudicated and jail time served?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Haven’t there been 2 or 3 other domestic violence cases that have occurred, and been resolved in the time Voynov has been waiting? I know where all supposed to be like “yeah **** this piece of ****” but can the league just take as long as they want to reinvesitigate a case that has already been adjudicated and jail time served?

Slava did way worse, apples and oranges.

He's never coming back. The sooner everyone accepts it the better off everyone will be.

I think this is the correct answer.

I personally don't care either way, he was a good (not great) player, probably would have ended up a good #3 in the NHL, but it's hard to overlook what he did. If this were Doughty or Kopitar the tone is probably different, but that is the way life goes, the more talented you are the more likely you are to be given another chance.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
People are allowed to form their own opinions on Slava and Watson but let's not take EVERYTHING reported by tabloids as facts.
I know the justice system is flawed, but it sure didn't think Slava's case was way worse.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
There is no realistic hope the Kings can trade Voynov to get something for him, and I don’t want him on the team, so I agree with @Herby

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I think this is the correct answer.

I personally don't care either way, he was a good (not great) player, probably would have ended up a good #3 in the NHL, but it's hard to overlook what he did. If this were Doughty or Kopitar the tone is probably different, but that is the way life goes, the more talented you are the more likely you are to be given another chance.
Plus the damage is already done. They needed him the last 4 years, him coming back now isn't going to help this cast of assclowns.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Regardless of your opinion on Voynov and his situation, if you were the NHL, and looking at it from a business perspective, why would you reinstate him?

There's no upside to it for the league.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Agree, there is zero upside for the league to reinstate Voynov. But I’m curious if the NHLPA is involved at this point, and if they are, are they arguing for reinstatement? Plenty of literal felons have returned to play, but I don’t know what the precedence would be for this case. Labor unions have a long history of fighting lifetime employment bans in principle. I think the question is how long is the total suspension and what does that mean for the player when you account for how long he was suspended before leaving the country.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He would've been a UFA after this season, so it seems nothing was ever going to happen until after this season, since nothing has happened up to this point. Not even remotely close to happening. He'll be declared a UFA, and maybe he signs somewhere, maybe he doesn't.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
He should already have been reinstated. It was a misdemeanor conviction, he served his sentence and there's no suggestion he has broken the law again in the years that have followed. Whether a team should sign him is an entirely different question. Personally, I don't want to see him in a Kings uniform. But each team will have to make that decision for themselves. If you watched the Olympics you could tell that he could definitely still play.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
He should already have been reinstated. It was a misdemeanor conviction, he served his sentence and there's no suggestion he has broken the law again in the years that have followed. Whether a team should sign him is an entirely different question. Personally, I don't want to see him in a Kings uniform. But each team will have to make that decision for themselves. If you watched the Olympics you could tell that he could definitely still play.

But now it looks as if the league has f-ed the Kings if they let him back after this season. He’ll be a UFA and the Kings never had a chance to even trade him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Any moral grandstanding aside, it's become a very weird situation with all sides totally silent. Part of me wonders if it's just Blake quietly asking the league to just let his time here expire so everyone can move on, or if they're waiting for the dead silence of the summer, or if the NHLPA is even fighting for him. There's literally no news other than Slava turning down KHL offers and biding his time for the NHL, which leads me to believe that HE has been led to believe he'll be somewhere next year.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yeah, it doesn’t make sense for Voynov to leave the KHL to come over here and...not play hockey?

I personally think the NHL is dragging its feet on this case because the details are particularly gruesome and damning. The NHL, like any other corporate entity, wants to appease and exploit social justice initiatives to elevate their own image. It’s ridiculous to think of the NHL grandstanding about any social issue when they’ve outright ignored concussion problems for decades.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if Voynov pays his debt to society in the eyes of the law, he should be allowed to play again. Whether or not a team wants to actually sign him is within their right as a private organization. But he should be allowed to play.

Personally, like others have said, the Kings don’t have any use for Voynov on the ice at this point, so I’d rather they move on.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Personally, like others have said, the Kings don’t have any use for Voynov on the ice at this point, so I’d rather they move on.

I would be fine with giving him a 2nd chance....what I'm not fine with is if the Kings decided to not do that, they didn't even have a chance to trade him to get SOMETHING in return. We lost an arguably #2 dman for absolutely nothing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree for the most part but I am willing to wager most hockey fans aren't overly emotional SJWs

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I need some clarification... don’t the Kings maintain his rights?? Or was that based on the remaining term on his contract when it was terminated??

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I would be fine with giving him a 2nd chance....what I'm not fine with is if the Kings decided to not do that, they didn't even have a chance to trade him to get SOMETHING in return. We lost an arguably #2 dman for absolutely nothing.

Yep. Cup players we have lost for nothing to free agency, retirement, or scandal:

Voynov
Richards
Greene
Mitchell
Williams
Regehr
Scuderi
Stoll

It’s no wonder this team is in the shape its in. Dean made it way, way worse by continuing to bleed futures, but ffs, very few GMs could have managed their way out of the above hole.

Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad