VOYNOV update?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yep. Cup players we have lost for nothing to free agency, retirement, or scandal:

Voynov
Richards
Greene
Mitchell
Williams
Regehr
Scuderi
Stoll

It’s no wonder this team is in the shape its in. Dean made it way, way worse by continuing to bleed futures, but ffs, very few GMs could have managed their way out of the above hole.

But this happens to every team, especially ones that are old. The problem is the Kings developed no one in the system to replace any of these guys, and there is no one on the list who would be considered a "star" player, that is the scary thing.

If you had told me in June 2014 that by then and the end of the 2019 season the Kings would win 1 playoff game I would have thought career ending injury to Kopitar or Doughty. I loved Slava as a player, but I think it gets overhyped how much of an effect his absence has had on the Kings.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But this happens to every team, especially ones that are old. The problem is the Kings developed no one in the system to replace any of these guys, and there is no one on the list who would be considered a "star" player, that is the scary thing.

If you had told me in June 2014 that by then and the end of the 2019 season the Kings would win 1 playoff game I would have thought career ending injury to Kopitar or Doughty. I loved Slava as a player, but I think it gets overhyped how much of an effect his absence has had on the Kings.

The problem is no one can replace any of those guys. Easy to find a guy much more talented than Regehr. Who in the NHL is he right now? How about doubling down or tripling down and finding a Greene and a Mitchell? Maybe one of the three is 'replaceable'.

People need to face that no amount of good drafting can replace unique players, which is all the more reason a cohesive vision is important.

Don't get me wrong, the Kings 'replacements' for those guys aren't good, either.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, when you look at the final guys DL drafted , they're all the same with the exception of Wagner who has speed and skill to play in the new nhl. No high-end talent whatsoever. Our future stars are coming in the Blake drafts.

Reactions: DrewforNorris

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The problem is no one can replace any of those guys. Easy to find a guy much more talented than Regehr. Who in the NHL is he right now? How about doubling down or tripling down and finding a Greene and a Mitchell? Maybe one of the three is 'replaceable'.

People need to face that no amount of good drafting can replace unique players, which is all the more reason a cohesive vision is important.

Don't get me wrong, the Kings 'replacements' for those guys aren't good, either.

Very good point. We lost two very good guys who helped win Cups to blatant stupidity and got nothing in return. Then follow that up with drafting guys not even close to their level. Right now every scout in looking for the next Tom Wilson [except for the dirty stuff] and guess what, there's only one guy like him .

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Voynov was a true impact player as a puck moving 2-way dman. He was a step below doughty but a step above any other dman we had. We lost him and we never could replace him. Hope he comes back as I am a Kings hockey fan and dont get to caught up in thinking of these guys as role models.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm surprised that Voynov hasn't sued the NHL or been approached by lawyers to sue the NHL. It's a big money deal, lots of possible media coverage comparable to going after regular people. SLava has been black balled by the NHL and it wouldn't be tough to prove it since there have been other NHL players charged with domestic abuse who are currently playing and Voynov's record has been expunged. The NHL doesn't have a leg to stand on.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

That’s all fair. The Kings did not develop any talent to replace their depth.

I do sort of side with RJ on this, though. It’s extremely difficult to replace players like Williams and Mitchell and what they bring to the locker room. The thought was that Kopitar and Doughty would learn from those guys and take up the mantle of leadership, but neither of them have. Doughty’s arguably regressed in that regard. He hasn’t developed into anything resembling a stable leader for this team.

I wouldn’t understate the loss of Voynov. His sudden absence pushed everyone up the depth chart. Martinez was never supposed to be a top four defenseman. The loss of Voynov and Williams directly influenced the Sekera and Lucic trades, as well. I still believe we make another significant run in 14/15 with Voynov in the fold.

As you said, a lot of that is a major failure on the Kings behalf to develop replacements, for sure.

Reactions: andys and lumbergh

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
The man did something horrible, but did his jail time and left the country for several years.
Everyone deserves a second chance.

And The Tikkanen is right. People have been charged with the same thing and are playing

I get your stance and respect it.
Me, F him. Can care less about the other people playing. He's ours and I've judged him (I'll take it up with God later). He's a fart in the wind and the faster he blows away, the better.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Has it been reported that VV (and, I assume family) is ok to live / work in the US & CA? Re-entry and immigrantion is still the first hurdle, before the league, PA, player and any teams can get involved afaik.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I get your stance and respect it.
Me, F him. Can care less about the other people playing. He's ours and I've judged him (I'll take it up with God later). He's a fart in the wind and the faster he blows away, the better.

SolidSnoopyCaiman-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I just don't want Voynov on the roster because of what happened to the team. The Richards situation was a mess, but VV was the big snowball. If that shit doesn't happen, there's no gaping hole, no Sekera trade, and so on. The Kings could have absorbed Richards falloff, but losing a excellent #2 like that f***ed up the whole defensive pairings when DL had worked magic getting everyone in the proper slot where they were most effective. It's not even that I don't like the guy, it's just major annoyance at what cost us another run at the cup.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I just don't want Voynov on the roster because of what happened to the team. The Richards situation was a mess, but VV was the big snowball. If that **** doesn't happen, there's no gaping hole, no Sekera trade, and so on. The Kings could have absorbed Richards falloff, but losing a excellent #2 like that ****ed up the whole defensive pairings when DL had worked magic getting everyone in the proper slot where they were most effective. It's not even that I don't like the guy, it's just major annoyance at what cost us another run at the cup.

Agreed. The Hawks don’t win their third Cup if they suddenly lose Seabrook overnight after 2013. Voynov was a major, major loss.

And the Kings had already absorbed the loss of Richards. He contributed to the 2014 Cup win, but in a very limited 4C role.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

He (Austin Watson) has been out of the lineup since Jan. 29, when he was placed into stage two of the league’s substance abuse and behavioral health program. Watson was suspended for 27 games on Aug. 1 after a domestic assault charge. His sentence was later reduced to 11 in early October, ultimately serving a total of 18 games.

Has to make you wonder when the league is going to comment on Voynov then...?

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
He (Austin Watson) has been out of the lineup since Jan. 29, when he was placed into stage two of the league’s substance abuse and behavioral health program. Watson was suspended for 27 games on Aug. 1 after a domestic assault charge. His sentence was later reduced to 11 in early October, ultimately serving a total of 18 games.

Has to make you wonder when the league is going to comment on Voynov then...?
Don't try to make sense of the VV situation with the NHL, if you force yourself to make decisions you will not like what you have to see. Tik = 100% correct that he could sue the shit out of the NHL. The only reason why I think he hasn't is that the NHL has made some kind deal with him. Maybe they told him keep your nose clean and lose a full year and you get back in if you take it and keep your mouth shut? If they haven't made a deal I cannot imagine why he hasn't used legal means to reassert himself as an NHL player. There should be an expectation of standards and clearly he hasn't had that applied to him. We have been thru all the "he's a bad guy, who cares" etc. But seriously players have killed other people and the League brought them back. Patrick Kane beat a cabbie and then was accused of Rape - that entire episode was totally ignored by the NHL. So my point is that VV did some very stupid bad shit but the NHL is a complete Clown Car of Stupidity with how they've handled it. I seriously hope VV just sues the shit out of the NHL and never plays again. Then maybe that would bring all of this to a final conclusion we could all be happy with.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Where was the behavioral health program for Voynov?

League has fallen all over themselves to help out Watson.

Reactions: tny760

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
So, are there any people on the main boards giving the Preds and Watson the same type of vitriol as the Kings and Voynov? I honestly tend not to venture into there often.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
We vote in people in power that then go on and murder human beings abroad literally every 4 years, and it's all good

but the way people on these boards have acted regarding Voynov's domestic violence case is like as if he's the only person on earth to have committed any act of violence

i can hear people's tears drop on their devices as they lean forward, heads tilted down, fully concentrated, to type angrily at the mere thought that Voynov might be reinstated

i will never understand my own kind...

Reactions: andys and tny760

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Don't try to make sense of the VV situation with the NHL, if you force yourself to make decisions you will not like what you have to see. Tik = 100% correct that he could sue the **** out of the NHL. The only reason why I think he hasn't is that the NHL has made some kind deal with him. Maybe they told him keep your nose clean and lose a full year and you get back in if you take it and keep your mouth shut? If they haven't made a deal I cannot imagine why he hasn't used legal means to reassert himself as an NHL player. There should be an expectation of standards and clearly he hasn't had that applied to him. We have been thru all the "he's a bad guy, who cares" etc. But seriously players have killed other people and the League brought them back. Patrick Kane beat a cabbie and then was accused of Rape - that entire episode was totally ignored by the NHL. So my point is that VV did some very stupid bad **** but the NHL is a complete Clown Car of Stupidity with how they've handled it. I seriously hope VV just sues the **** out of the NHL and never plays again. Then maybe that would bring all of this to a final conclusion we could all be happy with.

There is no "right" granted by anyone to play in the NHL. It's a privilege the league in agreement with the NHLPA allows certain individuals to participate. The NHL decides who plays in the league and who doesn't.

It shouldn't surprise anyone if the NHL doesn't allow Slava to play in the league ever again.

I think the NHL will allow Slava to come back, but they want to punish him. Maybe making him sit out a full year was the punishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad