VOYNOV update?

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
The honorable thing for the Kings to do is take the high road, let him go as a UFA, and if another NHL team takes a chance on him, then so be it. No compensation required. Kings out of the story. When his suspension is lifted, NHL out of the the story. Let the Voynov family live out their future with as clean a slate as possible.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's almost like I said Blake wouldn't touch him at this point.

The ship sailed. This is a team looking to get younger and rebuild a culture. They will not be good next season.

They would have dealt with any PR issues when they were pushing for more Cups. Where the Kings are in their contention time frame, he isn't worth it in their eyes. Really can't blame them either.

I fully believe he should be allowed to play again and have never wavered from that. I think the suspension is still too long seeing as they basically sat him last season as well. That being said, I have zero issue with the Kings moving on.

As a matter of fact, I don't think he'd want to come back here anyways and be back in a room with so many guys he let down in a major way. Just get a fresh start.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The ship sailed. This is a team looking to get younger and rebuild a culture. They will not be good next season.

They would have dealt with any PR issues when they were pushing for more Cups. Where the Kings are in their contention time frame, he isn't worth it in their eyes. Really can't blame them either.

I fully believe he should be allowed to play again and have never wavered from that. I think the suspension is still too long seeing as they basically sat him last season as well. That being said, I have zero issue with the Kings moving on.

As a matter of fact, I don't think he'd want to come back here anyways and be back in a room with so many guys he let down in a major way. Just get a fresh start.

Yep. Almost 5 full years. That's an eternity in sports. Lots of player turnover, it's not the same team or situation, no point in square-peg-round-holing it. 3 years ago? Pull that trigger. But now?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Looks like the timeline for VVs return is what I guessed it could be.

I’d be surprised if the Kings did anything quickly here or even during the whole offseason. I could see the sense in publicly ignoring the player basically exists until the suspension is served. At that point, a bunch of other moves have played out, and you deal with the situation when the players services are actually available.

Unless I’m missing something, Voynov will be back just before next years trade deadline. What I’d love to know is if it’s confirmed the Kings hold his rights up to the point he is eligible to return and whether he is legally permitted to work.

If all that is the case, then a TDL frenzied market could seriously inflate VVs trade value and you could get a return close to what Muzzin got.

The other thing I would like to know is whether VV is allowed to practice with an NHl or AHL team? In fact, could he even sign an AHL contract to play next season?

It’s a fascinating situation but a sad indictment of our franchise at the same time.

My guess is the suspension gets knocked down to 20 games. And assuming VV gets permission to work in US/CA, then he’ll probably play again in early 2020.

According to LAKI, as of a couple weeks ago, the Kings still own his rights. Not sure if that is accurate or for how long.

Since he’s been gone so long, it’s tough to know if he’s still an nhl regular, but it’s probably a safe bet for at least one to two years.

So then you look at the Kings NHL depth chart and try to see how he slots in at RHD.

Doughty
Martinez
Walker
Roy
LaDue
MacDermid

So that’s a pretty long list, however, he would probably rank third, at least, given the lack of experience in the remaining group.

So there is a reasonable chance he could make this roster next year if he was at camp. By the time he is available and if the Kings still hold his rights, that depth chart might not have changed much.

So looking down the road, I think VV’s return could happen, but only if possible and if the Kings are repeating a performance like last season. If things are positive around the team, I don’t think they risk disrupting things for a tarnished asset. But if things are bad, then every asset will need to count in order to keep digging out of the hole.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There will be no trade frenzy. He hasn't played in the NHL for five years and there are questions about how good he is anymore, nevermind the baggage.

I've changed my mind: Blake will give him 3 years/$6MM.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

oh please, LOL. :nopity: As if he knew any of this was about to happen and he planned the whole thing...

He still has top-end talent.

Bring him back.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Probably not, but we'll see how desperate teams are for a d-man at the deadline when he should be back assuming of course the Kings still have rights to him.

He’s not getting a Muzzin type return but a top 4 RHD is worth something to someone...
Florida will likely be a good start, as would TBL..
If I’m Blake, I’m targeting Florida and their 13th pick+ for a package of Toffoli, Voynov and 22OA

Reactions: kingsholygrail

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Decision upheld but ruled he already served half his suspension.

I mean, I'm not okay with anyone getting a slap on the wrist for domestic violence, but it certainly seems like they're only laying down the hammer on the Russian while levying a lesser punishment towards North Americans.
typical double standards at work, mixed with the NHL wheel of justice

no real surprise here, though i do find it absolutely pathetic that blake comes right out and says he's not going to be a king.. way to lay your f***in hand out on the table when you could use it as a bargaining chip later

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
If both VV and the Kings dont want anything to do with each other, then so be it. He would have immediately upgraded our top 4 - no one can deny that. You all are moaning and groaning about how bad the Kings are on D but pass on VV. Makes no sense.

Reactions: Butch 19

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
typical double standards at work, mixed with the NHL wheel of justice

no real surprise here, though i do find it absolutely pathetic that blake comes right out and says he's not going to be a king.. way to lay your ****in hand out on the table when you could use it as a bargaining chip later
I'll be the first to say Bowlby hasn't impressed me much, but this likely was not his decision to make.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Now that the Kings have announced they won’t sign him, does he have any trade value?
Why not place him on unconditional waivers and make him a UFA? Just really close the book on him

Reactions: kenito7

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
From the Hockey News:

"One GM who said he won’t be pursuing Voynov because he wouldn’t be a good fit on his roster said he would be willing to take a closer look at the situation if he felt Voynov could help his team. “I mean, we all make mistakes, and this is a really big one,” he said. “But people get second chances in all walks of life. I don’t know all the facts, but if he’s been consistently keeping out of trouble and he’s done all the counseling, why wouldn’t you look at it?"

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

One NHL GM suggested that while Voynov’s history could create a toxic environment for any team willing to bring him back, “somebody” might be willing to take a chance anyway. Another GM warned that if a team genuinely believed Voynov could return and play at the same high level he did in 2014, when he was a 23-minute-per-night player in the Kings’ 26-game run to the Stanley Cup championship, they are probably deluding themselves. A third NHL executive texted: “It could be pretty dicey.”

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The Kings released an official statement saying Voynov won't be back with the team, how much more do some of you need to move on?

My ex threw the ring back at my face, had me arrested for stalking, and slapped me with a restraining order 7 years ago.

But here I am sitting in her tree in a squirrel costume.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I doubt he has much trade value if any. If the Kings are able to trade him it will most likely be for a conditional pick.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Mid to late conditional pick will be his value, and I'm fine with that. It's long past time to move on

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From the Hockey News:

"One GM who said he won’t be pursuing Voynov because he wouldn’t be a good fit on his roster said he would be willing to take a closer look at the situation if he felt Voynov could help his team. “I mean, we all make mistakes, and this is a really big one,” he said. “But people get second chances in all walks of life. I don’t know all the facts, but if he’s been consistently keeping out of trouble and he’s done all the counseling, why wouldn’t you look at it?"

Also from that same article;

TheHockeyNews.com reached out to executives of 10 NHL teams and only one indicated he would even consider trading for Voynov’s rights.
I have a wife and daughters,” one GM said. “It would be really hard to justify that to them. He’s a good player and we’re all human and we make mistakes. But I just couldn’t see myself getting involved in that one.

And that's why most teams won't consider him. Because those players that he'd have to share a locker room. they have wives and girlfriends. I don't think any team will trade for him. Not to ,mention the fanbase of that city and the issues that would create.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Considering that a good portion of the team were former teammates of him, many of whom are now married, it would be extremely awkward to suddenly bring him back into fold into an already toxic locker room. Its best just to move on and its just not worth it anymore given the status of the team.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Also from that same article;

TheHockeyNews.com reached out to executives of 10 NHL teams and only one indicated he would even consider trading for Voynov’s rights.
I have a wife and daughters,” one GM said. “It would be really hard to justify that to them. He’s a good player and we’re all human and we make mistakes. But I just couldn’t see myself getting involved in that one.

And that's why most teams won't consider him. Because those players that he'd have to share a locker room. they have wives and girlfriends. I don't think any team will trade for him. Not to ,mention the fanbase of that city and the issues that would create.

That’s all BS, “if” the Kings were to hold onto him and not waive him... I guarantee you that come the TDL those same teams would turn a blind eye towards public perception for the sake of winning.. as would those fans.. sad but true

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
In my opinion NHL shouldn't separately punish him, especially not with suspension. The case had nothing to do with ice hockey so the penalty shouldn't have anything to do with ice hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad